Alan Pardew

Mike

Kudos to Pardew for finding a team that is grinding out results. 4 wins in a row in this division is always impressive no matter the circumstances in individual games.

Me personally, I'm not happy with our performance despite the result (yet again). Thought we were poor in the first half (West Brom being worse), gradually improving, but then came out in the second half looking piss poor and unable to adjust to West Brom pushing players forward. To my eyes we barely created a clear cut chance in 90 minutes of football at home to a mediocre team, and were yet again reliant on hoping the opposition were piss poor in the final third, which West Brom duly were - it's almost like Pardew has found a method of rope-a-doping the opposition just about enough to nick a lead and then hold on. I think Sissoko's cracker came against the run of play with the momentum being with West Brom, hence the reason why I'm not happy with the performance - it's not sustainable over the long term imo and we should be doing alot more with the players we have (including those sitting on the bench).

I'm sure the likes of Brett, Ian W, etc, were watching a completely different game (good attacking/creative football from us, solid defense, only one team going to win it, etc etc), but then that's part of what makes football such a great sport, i.e. the differing opinions on the same players, matches, managers, incidents, etc.

In terms of Pardew himself and the bigger picture, firstly I don't think this method of playing is sustainable over the long term (e.g. beyond this season), secondly that we're wasting some premium talent (Ben Arfa, Anita, possibly Marveaux) by having a manager who just can't work with them, and thirdly even if it is (e.g. we finish top 5 again), we'll be back to struggling again as he clearly hates European campaigns. And I suspect the latter is because his only real gameplan is all about containment and nicking the lead, which inherently relies on high levels of workrate, fitness, preparation, concentration, etc - add in a lengthy European campaign and the stamina/distraction issues kick in. Which is a shame really, as perversely I think Pardew's tactics are more suited to European football given the benefits of taking a more conservative containment approach.

I can see both sides, we are playing scrappily, but on the other hand we should have had a pen, they should have been down to 10 (more dubiously) and we had chances to bury it, way more than them. We do seem to not be hitting top gear than we can when ben arfa is in the team and playing well

People are going overboard with talk of that Debuchy must have a player in front of him who is strong defensively. Of course it helps! And it's probably one of the reasons that helped him gain confidence and adapting to a new league. But i think he'd do well anyway from now on!

To my eyes we barely created a clear cut chance in 90 minutes of football.

I'm sure the likes of Brett, Ian W, etc, were watching a completely different game (good attacking/creative football from us, solid defense, only one team going to win it, etc etc), but then that's part of what makes football such a great sport, i.e. the differing opinions on the same players, matches, managers, incidents, etc.

You were watching a different game if you couldn't see we were creating chances. That's not even an opinion, it's a fact.

Yeah we made chances, one of the harder chances was the one that went in. Remy had a bit of an off day too, on another day he'll score some of those chances. I for one am pleased we are winning with functional performances again, last season we'd have lost that, and now confidence is building.

Contrasting "Pardew" things over the weekend.

Friday bumped into a bunch of fans from around England and Northern Ireland who were of the opinion that Pardew was a good manager and couldn't understand why we didn't like him. A couple used the anti-southern thing as a possible reason and without actually using the "D" word they wondered why we thought we could get a better manager than him right now? Of course I tried to explain that the majority of fans think he's an ok manager, some rate him higher than that and some don't.

Saturday afternoon, unless my ears were mistaking me, I heard a long and loud "Alan Pardew's black and white army" from the Strawberry corner.

Certainly not much sign of anti southern bias or delusions of courting a "bigger" manager there then. 

I feel much better after reading that, thanks.

Aye that chant must have been grating on you.

I'll be surprised if that doesn't come back to bite them on the arse tbh.

Kudos to Pardew for finding a team that is grinding out results. 4 wins in a row in this division is always impressive no matter the circumstances in individual games.

Me personally, I'm not happy with our performance despite the result (yet again). Thought we were poor in the first half (West Brom being worse), gradually improving, but then came out in the second half looking p*ss poor and unable to adjust to West Brom pushing players forward. To my eyes we barely created a clear cut chance in 90 minutes of football at home to a mediocre team, and were yet again reliant on hoping the opposition were p*ss poor in the final third, which West Brom duly were - it's almost like Pardew has found a method of rope-a-doping the opposition just about enough to nick a lead and then hold on. I think Sissoko's cracker came against the run of play with the momentum being with West Brom, hence the reason why I'm not happy with the performance - it's not sustainable over the long term imo and we should be doing alot more with the players we have (including those sitting on the bench).

In terms of Pardew himself and the bigger picture, firstly I don't think this method of playing is sustainable over the long term (e.g. beyond this season), secondly that we're wasting some premium talent (Ben Arfa, Anita, possibly Marveaux) by having a manager who just can't work with them, and thirdly even if it is (e.g. we finish top 5 again), we'll be back to struggling again as he clearly hates European campaigns. And I suspect the latter is because his only real gameplan is all about containment and nicking the lead, which inherently relies on high levels of workrate, fitness, preparation, concentration, etc - add in a lengthy European campaign and the stamina/distraction issues kick in. Which is a shame really, as perversely I think Pardew's tactics are more suited to European football given the benefits of taking a more conservative containment approach.

If he got a squad like Chelsea or Man City where he can have 22 players with starting quality, he could do very well in Europe.

Will never happen though.

People are going overboard with talk of that Debuchy must have a player in front of him who is strong defensively. Of course it helps! And it's probably one of the reasons that helped him gain confidence and adapting to a new league. But i think he'd do well anyway from now on!

Nah, Debuchy is fucking poor at 1 on 1 with opponent's winger. Fucking poor. If we got a right back like Jose Enrique we really don't need to play a protective winger.

Nah, Debuchy is f***ing poor at 1 on 1 with opponent's winger. f***ing poor. If we got a right back like Jose Enrique we really don't need to play a protective winger.

Give over.  :lol:

Man, surely you would remember how many times he got outpaced last season?

Nah, Debuchy is f***ing poor at 1 on 1 with opponent's winger. f***ing poor. If we got a right back like Jose Enrique we really don't need to play a protective winger.

Was a matter of time before someone bolded that comment.

He got outpaced by Nasri in the first game of the season, that was worrying to watch. Would fancy Debuchy all day long in this form now though.

That was last season, his first in a new league, his first in a struggling team and his first in a team which contained a large percentage of new signings.

Brett, form can only helped a little because Debuchy really lacks pace.  In the end the only way not being outpaced is to ask your winger to give help and slow down the opponent.

He is a great player, but not perfect, that's why we need to choose the right personnel around him in order to perform well as a team.

Brett, form can only helped a little because Debuchy really lacks pace.  In the end the only way not being outpaced is to ask your winger to give help and slow down the opponent.

He is a great player, but not perfect, that's why we need to choose the right personnel around him in order to perform well as a team.

Not his pace but starting position. His positional sense has been much improved. Doesn't get caught out as much like he was.

That was last season, his first in a new league, his first in a struggling team and his first in a team which contained a large percentage of new signings.

I honestly don't think all the factors you mention would affect his pace  :lol:

Overall performance I agree, no question at all, but his lack of pace is something permanent and you need deal with. Just for example, would you feel comfort to see him 1 on 1 vs Lennon?

Friday bumped into a bunch of fans from around England and Northern Ireland who were of the opinion that Pardew was a good manager and couldn't understand why we didn't like him. A couple used the anti-southern thing as a possible reason and without actually using the "D" word they wondered why we thought we could get a better manager than him right now? Of course I tried to explain that the majority of fans think he's an ok manager, some rate him higher than that and some don't.

Saturday afternoon, unless my ears were mistaking me, I heard a long and loud "Alan Pardew's black and white army" from the Strawberry corner.

Certainly not much sign of anti southern bias or delusions of courting a "bigger" manager there then. 

:thup:

I honestly don't think all the factors you mention would affect his pace  :lol:

Overall performance I agree, no question at all, but his lack of pace is something permanent and you need deal with. Just for example, would you feel comfort to see him 1 on 1 vs Lennon?

His pace wasn't a massive problem for me, it was his decision making and how long it would take and that was down to it being his first season in the league.

Pace isn't everything and being the quickest doesn't make you the best unless you're a runner.

They were chanting it during the worse points this season and last as well which riled a fair few on here.

Rather than biting them in the arse, maybe their patient support could be seen as credible, even admirable?

They were chanting it during the worse points this season and last as well which riled a fair few on here.

Rather than biting them in the arse, maybe their patient support could be seen as credible, even admirable?

That depends on how things pan out really doesn't it? I'll take it one game at a time for now. What I wanted from the manager was a defined style and some organisation above all else, and tbf in the last few games I'm seeing it for the first time in a year. If he can keep that up and adapt to sides that look to nullify it then he'll deserve credit no doubt. I don't expect us to be winning CL spots, but if we can show progress every year then that's all anyone can ask for.

That depends on how things pan out really doesn't it? I'll take it one game at a time for now. What I wanted from the manager was a defined style and some organisation above all else, and tbf in the last few games I'm seeing it for the first time in a year. If he can keep that up and adapt to sides that look to nullify it then he'll deserve credit no doubt. I don't expect us to be winning CL spots, but if we can show progress every year then that's all anyone can ask for.

Maybe people just shouldn't be criticised for supporting the players/manager etc.. even if you personally think they are a bit deluded?

Never understand why some get so angry at the "happy, clappy" brigade. More power to them tbh at least they seem to enjoy it.

Maybe people just shouldn't be criticised for supporting the players/manager etc.. even if you personally think they are a bit deluded?

Never understand why some get so angry at the "happy, clappy" brigade. More power to them tbh at least they seem to enjoy it.

Yes some go over the top in attacking the happy clappy brigade, but on a forum like this there's going to be disagreements.