West Ham vs Newcastle Utd - 04/05/13 @ 3pm (No TV)

Beren

We'll line up like this:

Elliot - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Russian_Troops_NGM-v31-p379.jpg/220px-Russian_Troops_NGM-v31-p379.jpg                                                                            Cissé

Taylor/Colo for me. f***ing Williamson is one of the reason's we're this close to relegation.

How?

Because he's a terrible defender.

Never seen him have a game as bad as Yanga-Mbiwa and Taylor have in our last two home games, and was a mainstay in the side we finished 5th with last season, I don't particularly rate him, I just think at the moment he could do a job. The more I see of Taylor the less I rate him.

Taylor/Colo for me. f***ing Williamson is one of the reason's we're this close to relegation.

How?

Never seen him have a game as bad as Yanga-Mbiwa and Taylor have in our last two home games, and was a mainstay in the side we finished 5th with last season, I don't particularly rate him, I just think at the moment he could do a job. The more I see of Taylor the less I rate him.

There's not a thing Williamson does better than Taylor.

How?

I think he'd put up more of a challenge in the air against Carroll which might be crucial.

To those advocating a positive line up, it certainly makes us feel better but positive approaches at ManU, Arsenal,Swansea and Spurs resulted in nothing more than gallant defeats (if that).

Results wise, setting up to win or to not get beat makes little difference to us, either way we're a soft touch and have been for some time.

We certainly don't look like a team who can cope with a dirty relegation dogfight.

Guest icemanblue

How?

I think he'd put up more of a challenge in the air against Carroll which might be crucial.

The same Williamson who was beaten in the air by that giant Victor Moses, last year? The only thing Big Mike challenges, when jumping, is gravity.

Guest icemanblue

Victor Moses? I'll raise you Charles N'Zogbia.

Beaten by a good two and a half inches. Well played, sir.

Colo will calm things down at the back if he's as good as we think he is. Williamson is not the answer. Taylor needs a calming influence and is much better than Williamson

Is the right answer.

I just hope Colo's not in one of those moods where he thinks he has to do everything himself and runs about everywhere.

How?

I've seen Rio Ferdinand have similar games to Taylor and Yanga-Mbiwa on Saturday, in their 1-6 loss to City for example Doesn't make him a worse defender than Williamson.

In 9.98 games out of 10, Taylor, Yanga-Mbiwa and Coloccini are better than Williamson.

Guest Nixon

Watching Coloccini up close the thing you notice more than anything is - he does the simple things. He's a wonderfully talented defender mentally, but it is the nuance of his game you miss when he's absent.

He talks to his defenders. He moves them around like chess pieces and takes charge. I've watched Taylor for the time Coloccini has been out and even when winning, he rarely does the same. The odd bit of shifting from a throw in or telling a teammate where to pass too, but in terms of the shape and its stability you see very little.

I say that knowing it would be naive to believe that the return of Coloccini means the defence becomes impenetrable. They still conceded goals when he was in it. However I'd expect much improved midfield coverage this Saturday as a consequence of last weekend. Some of that will come from Pardew overcompensating, but some will stem from Coloccini bringing a calmness and a shape to things.

Of course it's hugely worrying that the team turns to jelly with one player missing, but that's the consequence of adding five new players that didn't even come from the same club. If there's one thing we've learned during our period of point frugality, it is that Cabaye is not a captain. He's a wonderfully gifted player, but from a vocal standpoint he just doesn't do it.

That's not to say he can't be the spine of the side, because you can coax those things out of him gradually (before selling for a big profit, fnar fnar). But right now he's going to struggle because like all of them, he's under chronic pressure to make sure we don't get relegated.

I honestly would expect a bit more defensive stability with Danny Simpson and Coloccini returning to the team.

Yes the former is horrendous with the ball at his feet, but he makes up for that by defending quite well. He also is playing for his next contract, which as we saw with Mark Viduka can make even the poorest (read lazy for Viduka) of players seem invincible. Couple that with a midfield that is allocated to the correct positions (look for the little green circle next to their name when you place them in a position) and things should return to normal.

The biggest issue is whether he finally picks Hatem Ben Arfa and Gouffran for the wings. While they might not be as 'industrious' (manager speak for a hard worker with a shit first touch) they have pace, craft, and a bit of inventiveness. Essentially Pardew has to ditch his insular defensive tactics and start to believe not just in himself but also his team. Recognise that he has almost half a dozen French internationals, and as such he can take risks and look to out-play opponents.

How?

The same Williamson who was beaten in the air by that giant Victor Moses, last year? The only thing Big Mike challenges, when jumping, is gravity.

Small players can win headers on goal due to timing and positioning sometimes, just look at Michael Owen. I'm talking about defending against West Ham's long ball game. There'll be plenty aimed towards Carroll's head, do you think Taylor will handle Carroll better than Williamson?

Guest icemanblue

How?

Small players can win headers on goal due to timing and positioning sometimes, just look at Michael Owen. I'm talking about defending against West Ham's long ball game. There'll be plenty aimed towards Carroll's head, do you think Taylor will handle Carroll better than Williamson?

Yes.

but that's the consequence of adding five new players that didn't even come from the same club.

Good post Nixon, I have no idea what you're going on about there though? When has any club in the history of football ever went out and signed 5 players from the same club in January?

We've hopefully improved our squad (we'll have to see next season) and we definitely shouldn't have been in the situation to have to panic buy but I'm unsure of who we should have bought?

We're an injury hit squad low on confidence with a poor manager who habe just been tanked twice at home, I think people are looking into that too much to be honest. If we'd have signed 5 Premiership players (including 2 young defenders) do you honesty think they would have been a certainty to have faired any better once they were rushed into the team together?

If I've missed the point I apologise, I just think injuries are a far bigger reason for our recent form than where our new lads have come from.