Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

It's about priorities of the european places IIRC.  All qualification spots are not equal and the FA cup winners EL spot is higher rated than the league spots so if Arsenal win the cup and finish 5th they'll take the higher rated EL spot (the cup spot).  The rating of the european spot you take determines which qualifying round you enter the competition at, e.g. the top rated CL spot is for finishing champions and gets you straight to the group stages whereas the lowest rated spot is 4th place and gets you trips to Azerbaijan in June.

If they gave the 2nd placed CL spot in the league to the FA cup winners then if someone finished 3rd in the league and won the cup then the league would get an extra place as the cup winners would take the higher rated CL spot (meaning no qualifying rounds) whereas if the league champions won the cup then the losing cup finalists would get the spot as the champions would take the higher rated league spot leaving a spot still available in the cup competition.

Or I might have just made that up :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27062091

Cardiff's 3-0 defeat by Crystal Palace in early April should not be allowed to stand, the Welsh club has said in a five-page letter seen by the BBC.

The document, sent by club lawyers to the Premier League, alleges Palace boss Tony Pulis knew sporting director Iain Moody was trying to obtain Cardiff's starting line-up before the game.

The club claims it has proof Moody succeeded and says this breaches league rules. Pulis declined to comment when contacted by the BBC, although Palace previously denied the claims.

Cardiff states that clubs should act in good faith to one another and calls into serious question the integrity of the match.

The club says Crystal Palace cheated and wants the Premier League to take serious action.

Palace won 3-2 at Everton on Wednesday to climb to 11th in the table, on 40 points, a figure Pulis says is enough to ensure their Premier League survival.

Guest zicomartin

They've been in the league for 1 season and are trying to get 3-0 defeats reversed :lol:

They can go get fucked if they think they can threaten our eleventh place finish, with that shit.

“There is too much information going out of this training ground to the opposition and I am not going to have it any more.” “I don’t think I should be boarding up the training ground around my main pitch, which I have had to do.”

“People are coming and looking through the fence and putting my team on the internet and giving it to the press. Therefore, what I have stopped is the real fans coming to get a view of us.”

“That how I have to be, I am afraid.” “We need to give ourselves the maximum chance of winning our first away game.” “I apologize to the fans if they are not getting the information before the game.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27062091

Deeply embarrassing stuff.

Guest firetotheworks

Areet Woody, do you fancy being the best English defender of your generation?

Nah you're alright, I'd rather smash a pint glass, into my own head.

Most supported club per country (UEFA study)

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/02/09/18/26/2091826_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Page 41,

Portugal and Romania have the highest degree of supporter concentration in Europe with 47% and 45% of all football supporters in their countries aligning themselves with the same club (Benfica and Steaua Bucharest respectively). At the other end of the scale, in Sweden no single club attracted more than 9% of the support of football fans. On average the best supported club in each country attracted a supporter share of 23%.

Chart:

http://i.imgur.com/YQSpR6g.png

Source: Bespoke study performed by Repucom for UEFA in November 2012 covering a sample of more than 18,000 representative European citizens between the ages of 18 and 69. Participants from 38 UEFA territories were asked their favourite club (could be domestic or foreign)

Most supported club per country (UEFA study)

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/02/09/18/26/2091826_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Page 41,

Portugal and Romania have the highest degree of supporter concentration in Europe with 47% and 45% of all football supporters in their countries aligning themselves with the same club (Benfica and Steaua Bucharest respectively). At the other end of the scale, in Sweden no single club attracted more than 9% of the support of football fans. On average the best supported club in each country attracted a supporter share of 23%.

Chart:

http://i.imgur.com/YQSpR6g.png

Source: Bespoke study performed by Repucom for UEFA in November 2012 covering a sample of more than 18,000 representative European citizens between the ages of 18 and 69. Participants from 38 UEFA territories were asked their favourite club (could be domestic or foreign)

Barcelona and Man United :anguish:  Glory hunting cunts, thank god for Moyes.

Interesting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/10774170/Aston-Villa-set-for-200m-US-takeover-if-they-stay-up.html

Aston Villa are set for a £200 million takeover if they manage to stay in the Premier League.

It is understood an American consortium, fronted by two billionaires, wants to buy Villa but will withdraw from the deal if the team drop into the Championship.

Details of the consortium plotting to take control from American owner Randy Lerner are being kept private, with Villa's Premier League status on the line after four successive defeats. Survival in the top flight would guarantee Villa at least £40 million in television revenue and would mean the club remains attractive to sponsors.

Early indications suggest the consortium would be prepared to invest heavily in trying to significantly improve Villa's playing staff. It is unclear whether a takeover would affect the future of manager Paul Lambert.

Lambert has admitted Villa must change their policy of spending small fees on inexperienced youngsters and instead invest in strong players to avoid even more pain in the future.

News of a possible takeover will excite Villa fans who have become frustrated with the current regime and successive relegation battles.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner insisted the club were not for sale in February, but sources claim an agency based in the United States has been talking to potential buyers.

Lerner made a rare intervention this week by declaring his support for Lambert after assistant manager Ian Culverhouse and head of football Gary Karsa were suspended.

That move has been seen in some quarters as a desperate attempt by Lerner to try to help Villa avoid relegation and ensure the club remain an attractive proposition to interested parties.

Lerner paid £62.6 million for Villa eight years ago and has spent another £250 million on players and facilities. He would ideally want his money back but a £200 million offer would most likely be too good to refuse.

Shahid Khan paid £190 million for Fulham last summer, but that reflected a premium because of the club's London location.

Villa's last accounts revealed the club lost £51.8 million in 2012-13 and that Lerner had waived £90.1 million of loans, converting them to equity.

Lerner initially invested huge sums to help former manager Martin O'Neill achieve top-six finishes, but he has since made big cutbacks. It is unclear whether Lerner has attended a Villa game this season, with the

52-year-old accused of being an absentee owner by the club's disgruntled fans.

The football acumen of Lerner and Faulkner has also been called into question following their managerial appointments and poor signings that cost the club a fortune.

After O'Neill, who Lerner inherited when he took control from Doug Ellis, Villa have failed to gain any success with Gérard Houllier, Alex McLeish or Lambert.

During last week's defeat at Crystal Palace, a section of fans called for Lambert to be sacked. Villa go into this weekend's fixtures just four points above the Premier League relegation zone. They entertain Southampton tomorrow and one more victory would probably be enough to secure safety.

After Southampton, Villa face Swansea, Hull, Manchester City and Tottenham, and Lerner will be nervously watching the club's results.

The departures of Culverhouse and Karsa are believed to have lifted the mood among the squad this week, together with the increased influence of Shay Given and Gordon Cowans.

Given is a particularly popular voice in the dressing room, despite falling out of favour as a player under Lambert.

Villa players complained of a lack of training and coaching under Culverhouse and the squad have been worked much harder ahead of the Southampton clash.

Stat of the Day: Sunderland (3) have scored more goals at St James’ Park in 2014 than Newcastle (2) have.

:(

Wooooooaaaaahhhhh!

You've only scored two home goals all year? And I thought we were awful at home.

Stat of the Day: Sunderland (3) have scored more goals at St James’ Park in 2014 than Newcastle (2) have.

:(

Wooooooaaaaahhhhh!

You've only scored two home goals all year? And I thought we were awful at home.

Yep. Both came on around 90+3 as well. We've yet to score at home this year in the league before the injury time board has gone up.

But Remy's been injured for a few games so it's all good. :thup: