Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

Agree with Lineker to a certain extent there, especially in the Premier League because it's not as tactical as other leagues. It was proven in that numbers game book that in terms of results there is generally little difference when you change manager. Once a manager picks the best team available to him I believe there is little more he can do in most scenarios

Of course its the players who have to perform on the pitch but the manager's job is huge. He has to make sure they're fit, prepared and most importantly, confident! Do you think Leicester would be top if Ranieri wasn't there, Gary?

Look at the fall of Man Utd since SAF left. look at us when SBR left. Completely different teams.

The manager, certainly in the traditional sense, is in a position to be the most influential person at the club and in the majority of cases they are imo. You don't have to be Kevin Keegan to contribute in an enormous way. Even those who have less of an imposition on the day-to-day structure of the club are contributing by simply letting the players 'do the talking'. Hughton with us is a good example. He let the players committee happen; it was a positive thing which he was indirectly accountable for. 

Who the manager is invariably correlates to the success of a club. Don't agree with Lineker at all really.

Guest Howaythetoon

Obviously players are important, but the manager is the most important part of the football club or should be. A good manager with good players if he manages them right will get success. KK for example. A good manager with poor players may get success, but it will never be long-term success. A bad manager with good players and usually they bomb, Souness anyone? Sometimes you get poor managers who can overachieve if things all go right, i.e. Pardew with us when we finished 5th. But it never lasts, even if they have top players. The manager sets the tone, standards and helps create a winning team. Or a losing team.

The best managers make it about the players and not themselves, the clip board or tactics and systems and formations.

KK was for me the ultimate when it come to the players, he made it all about them and not their opponents, their disabilities, tactics, formations or systems. He told them to go out, express themselves, play with confidence and freedom and to attack and win the game in style. And 9 times out of 10 they did, home or away, West Ham or Man Utd.

Football is 50/50 ability and confidence when it comes to the individual in most individuals. Someone with 100% ability and confidence like Ronaldo and Messi excell regardless. They can score goals, create goals and generally perform to a high standard no matter what like the best player at 5-a-side or when you were a kid playing on a park somewhere. They don't need a manager to coax them, to help their game. They are their own manager/coach.

It is no surprise that the best footballing sides are managed by men who trust their players more than they trust tactics.

That being said, obviously whoever the owner is generally usurps both players and manager these days, in terms of being the most influential person at the club

Aye, I think it's the Owners/people responsible for running the club first.

Even the examples people use... fergie.. Wenger.. we are talking 15-20 years now. A managers remit is much smaller now. Most don't choose all of their signings, they don't do the majority of the coaching etc. A top manager will give you an extra 5-10% sure which is the difference between semi finals and CL winners aye. But I think the bigger impact is upstairs.

I think the last two CL titles and Germany winning the world cup is down to managers finding the right system for the best players they have rather than any tactical masterstrokes. Letting players shine. Likewise, with us - there's only so much that can be achieved with this bunch of players and this Owner.

http://c.files.bbci.co.uk/DBF3/production/_87270365_1252fe99-3e26-4523-8894-97d25ae45554.jpg

The best Christmas party I have been to as a footballer was the first one I had at Newcastle in 2002, when Sir Bobby Robson was manager.

All the players had gone out in fancy dress to the Quayside in the city centre - I was Superman, Carl Cort was Batman and Kieron Dyer was Austin Powers.

Then we found out that the club's directors were having their own party at St James' Park - a black-tie do with their wives.

We decided we would gate-crash it, so we all piled into taxis to the stadium, ran upstairs and burst through the doors.

It was a bit surreal. We were all running about this posh dinner and ball dressed as superheroes, then found Sir Bobby, said "all right, gaffer" and sat at his table. Someone had his pint.

He just looked at us and said: "Right, have one drink and get the hell out of here."

Nobody ever had a go at us for it. Even the next day Sir Bobby just laughed about it and said "you lot are a nightmare".

Newcastle Christmas party

The Newcastle United Christmas party, 2002: "The best I can remember"

Social media has killed the Christmas party - at least for footballers

Sir Bobby was always a big believer in the players enjoying themselves and building team spirit.

On the day I signed for Newcastle I was sitting in the boardroom with him and the then chairman Freddy Shepherd, and he told the chairman's son to take me out that night.

Obviously not all managers are like that and, besides, things have changed a lot in the past few years. You could not have Christmas parties now like we used to, when we used to all just hit the town together.

From a club's point of view, nothing good comes from them - it is always pictures in the papers of players drunk, or doing something stupid.

I think some of the fun has gone out of them. As well as the press looking for stories, because of social media there is no hiding from anyone any more, so you would not even try.

They still happen of course, and I saw that Leicester went to Copenhagen recently. But you are almost better off putting the photos out there yourselves, like the Foxes players did, showing everyone behaving themselves.

One of his fellow pundits should ask Jenas why his career was basically finished before he was out of his 30s. f***ing knobhead.

:lol: :thup: Had a good laugh the other week when he criticised a player for having a lack of heart and followed it up with "if that was me out there" implying he wasn't one of the most spineless players you are ever likely to come across.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/8d85ae914a65535a6f171a70f1d045b3.jpg

Apparently City's new badge from next season. Canny smart imo.

A bit like the old one. Surprised they didn't manage to fit on the three stars.