Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

Guest firetotheworks

England are one of the best international teams in the world in that I'd struggle to name 10 'better' nations.

They still reek of mediocrity though.

You wouldn't name Costa Rica above England but the proof is in the pudding. Since 2010 we have struggled to beat anyone near of note in international competitive football.

If there was another world cup next summer England would get to the last 16 at best. Imo England are 20-30 in the world.

They had a brilliant World Cup admittedly but I refuse to accept Costa Rica are a better team than England. If they played each other 10 times, England would win more often than not.

Switzerland are probably in the imaginary top 20 in my skull and we dispatched them with ease on their own turf.

It's a different story when the pressure is on though. That's why England are no good. The last time I thought 'that's a good team' was in 2004. You can say that England are a better team, but the proof is in the pudding like. That generation of players should have won something and the '96 team deserved to win something imo.

England are one of the best international teams in the world in that I'd struggle to name 10 'better' nations.

You wouldn't name Costa Rica above England but the proof is in the pudding. Since 2010 we have struggled to beat anyone near of note in international competitive football.

If there was another world cup next summer England would get to the last 16 at best. Imo England are 20-30 in the world.

They had a brilliant World Cup admittedly but I refuse to accept Costa Rica are a better team than England. If they played each other 10 times, England would win more often than not.

Switzerland are probably in the imaginary top 20 in my skull and we dispatched them with ease on their own turf.

It's a different story when the pressure is on though. That's why England are no good. The last time I thought 'that's a good team' was in 2004. You can say that England are a better team, but the proof is in the pudding like. That generation of players should have won something and the '96 team deserved to win something imo.

No use being good on paper. Portugal look better on paper and they're almost equally as bad.

No way either of those sides deserve to win anything too. In '04 France, Italy & Portugal had much better teams in Europe alone. And '96 was a moment rather than a generation.

These are opinions, obviously, but Portugal is not better than England on paper. I think England have been unlucky, tbh. They lost close matches on penalties in Euro 2004 and 2012 and well as World Cup 2006. Even the 2014 WC, which is generally considered a disaster, England were competitive. It is fair to say that English players in general are technically inferior to some of their counterparts and they have lacked a true star, but they are still a good side who generally do well. I would struggle to think of ten teams that are consistently better than them, tbh. After the top 5-7 teams in world football, everyone vacillates wildly with cycles of talent, coaching, team unity, etc.

England are class at beating shit teams but not good at beating teams of a similar level or slightly worse than them. Its like they don't have any confidence when playing a big name country

England are class at beating s*** teams but not good at beating teams of a similar level or slightly worse than them. Its like they don't have any confidence when playing a big name country

This. And drop their guard against who they regard as 'lesser' nations.

And Messi vs Ronaldo is a weird one. I'd agree Messi wins, but if I could have one of them sign for us it'd be Ronaldo all day long.

You would reject the chance to sign the best player ever to walk the earth? You trippin'.

Nobody mentioned Diego Maradona.

And England were absolutely flying in 2004 until Wayne Rooney snapped his foot. Given Greece won that tournament England were a metatarsal away.

Nigel de Jong, the horrible vile c***, has been at it again. Took out Joshua Kimmich with a tackle in a friendly today. Rightly, Pep had a word.

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/watch-pep-guardiola-and-nigel-de-jong-clash-in-tunnel-at-half-time

Did you see the tackle? He barely touched him. There's a reason they didn't show the tackle in that link

Just seen it. Didn't look bad, but difficult to see how it actually was based on those slow motion clips. Either way he's a thug.

Guest firetotheworks

No use being good on paper. Portugal look better on paper and they're almost equally as bad.

No way either of those sides deserve to win anything too. In '04 France, Italy & Portugal had much better teams in Europe alone. And '96 was a moment rather than a generation.

You're a fucking moment, you daft sod.

Feigning injury to get opponent sent off

What is new? A player who feigns injury could face a suspension.

Scenario

Player A is sent off for violent conduct

Dismissal overturned after the referee reviews the incident and sees that Player B had feigned injury

Player B is open to a charge and could face a three-match ban

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33783861

Good stuff.

Guest chopey

@alextomo

Newcastle United FC have banned @Channel4News from tomorrow's "press conference" where we wanted to ask about banning the media.

We are an embarassment

Reminds me of the soup Nazi off Seinfeld " no press conference for you channel 4 "

You can't name ten, but you can name above eight which is where England's level these days is at. i.e. Round of 16 / Quarter Finals in a WC.

I'd say I'd bet on Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile, Spain and Germany to beat England with France and Italy dnb.

If you think about it England have failed against the so called 'top teams' since 1966. The exceptions being:

2002 - Argentina

2000 - Germany

1996 - Netherlands

1982 - France

If England played any of the following in a World cup/Euros knockout game, I would expect the  other team to come through, whether on penalties or in normal time: Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Holland, Brazil, Argentina, Chile. Then there are the likes of Croatia, Mexico, Belgium, Colombia, Chile, Uruguay, Portugal which the game could go either way and then I'd expect England to beat pretty much everyone else