Ex scout Paul Montgomery appraises recent Newcastle signings.

James

Guest neesy111

Cabaye not mobile enough? In the 5th place season Tiote and Cabaye were meant to have covered the most distance per match IIRC.

I said Cabaye wasn't mobile enough a year and got exactly this reponse. He may cover very good distance but he's static on the ball, can't dribble, rarely makes the type of Sissoko runs we need to support the striker and is generally all used up by 70 minutes.

Lovely footballer in a sense but I do think the PL isn't the least suited to him out of the big 4 leagues.

:thup:

In Sissoko's 12 games in a relegation threatened team he got 3 goals 2 assists

That was the puzzler for me, as I said in another thread his numbers are pretty much in line with say, Yaya Touré's, even a bit better. He's not going to be Frank Lampard but his end product is just fine.

He isn't really creative is what the scout is getting at. Obviously he makes thinks happen because of his running and presence.

Bloke is a defensive midfielder, i don't understand why his final product is being mentioned when it's not one of his key attributes to his position. It's like saying Cisse is rash and poor in tackles, it is a correct statement but it doesn't really matter to the position he plays.

We have Sissoko to make the Sissoko-type runs.

Oh good, one midfielder making runs forward in a 4-3-3. That's a big reason why we don't score goals.

Well Cabaye gets forward and gets shots in when playing well, he just doesn't do it in the same way.

I would certainly agree that Cabaye is not very mobile. However, it's not his game, so it's not a massive problem. It becomes a problem when you set up a team where the midfielders have to cover a shit-ton of ground.

Guest neesy111

By the way, has he said something about Anita? I still haven't figured him out myself... kind of player that you watch and see he's obviously a decent football player yet he doesn't seem to fit well anywhere.

Anita struggled with the pace and physical side of the game last season and his style doesn't fit into the way in which we play (i.e. very direct).  I like him as a player and in the right team I think he'll be a good player in the PL.

Cabaye not mobile enough? In the 5th place season Tiote and Cabaye were meant to have covered the most distance per match IIRC.

I said Cabaye wasn't mobile enough a year and got exactly this reponse. He may cover very good distance but he's static on the ball, can't dribble, rarely makes the type of Sissoko runs we need to support the striker and is generally all used up by 70 minutes.

Lovely footballer in a sense but I do think the PL isn't the least suited to him out of the big 4 leagues.

Salient points. He arguably has the mobility to get into positions where he can hurt teams but the lack of movement in the team as a whole perhaps stops him from being able to occupy those positions. His inability to support the striker is perhaps down to his current quarterback role.

Guest neesy111

What is our starting midfield three?

I'd say is something like Tiote-Cabaye-Sissoko?

We didn't even play that once last season IIRC.

NUFC's starting midfield three has outscored Barça's starting midfield three. I don't see the complains about "goals from midfield". It's more about the guys upfront and how you set about to create chances, imho.

We would include our widemen in that too though who also provide little in terms of goals whereas...

Who's a defensive midfielder, Sissoko? Rubbish.

I think he is, he's certainly not a play off the main striker like we had him doing on a regular basis, or a winger. Box to box midfielder/defensive midfielder. He certainly isn't our creative midfielder that's for sure. I don't think his end product is much to worry about in the slightest.

I think he is, he's certainly not a play off the main striker like we had him doing on a regular basis, or a winger. Box to box midfielder/defensive midfielder. He certainly isn't our creative midfielder that's for sure. I don't think his end product is much to worry about in the slightest.

Defensive midfielder, man. Come on.

Defensive midfielder, man. Come on.

I don't see your point? I think he is very much more suited to defending than he is attacking. The fact he came in to our side and played further forward under Pardew as we were seriously lacking in that department, caught a couple of teams off guard with his presence, suddenly we think he's a creative attacking midfielder? Not a chance. I can see him playing box to box or defensive mid alongside Tiote/Anita depending on opposition next season.