RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

Roeder did great Feb-May after Souness left, where the players were so relieved that twat had left they remembered how to play football. Shepherd should have just said thanks so much and been more ambitious rather than getting sucked into a nice guy / ex player bandwagon

As soon as he got settled in he was incredibly average.

One thing that I will say in Roeder's defence. That 'injury crisis' that we had under him wasn't hype, it really was ridiculous. Almost everyone was out from what I remember.

Our performances improved when we had loads of injuries, he struggled when everybody was fit.

Guest neesy111

One thing that I will say in Roeder's defence. That 'injury crisis' that we had under him wasn't hype, it really was ridiculous. Almost everyone was out from what I remember.

Our performances improved when we had loads of injuries, he struggled when everybody was fit.

Yeap, I seem to remember us getting 4 points off Man Utd and Spurs with a back four of Huntington, Edgar, Taylor and Solano.

a back four of Huntington, Edgar, Taylor and Solano.

Jesus, did that actually happen? After the draw with Man United on new years day I suppose, fuck me that back four makes the current spanners look like 4 Maldinis.

Jesus, did that actually happen? After the draw with Man United on new years day I suppose, fuck me that back four makes the current spanners look like 4 Maldinis.

47 goals that defence conceded. Significantly less than the past two seasons.

utterly insane, seemed to get every injury possible, wasn't that the season where harewood clattered Given who was out for most of the season?

utterly insane, seemed to get every injury possible, wasn't that the season where harewood clattered Given who was out for most of the season?

Aye, with a tear in his fucking stomach or something equally as mental.

Aye. Souness used to harp on about injuries (and he did have some fairly bad ones at times) but he always rushed players back and made it worse.

Roeder did have a fucking ton, like. Steve Harper used to joke in the Chronicle that when he was sat on the bench he was like a childminder.

That was our defence for like 3 or 4 games man, York.

Guest firetotheworks

We were extremely lucky in the 3-2 against Spurs like. They absolutely battered us, then Martins scored that frankly fucking ridiculous goal. :lol:

I watched that in a bar in Amsterdam with my spurs supporting mate, it was an absolute joy.

I don't believe Kinnear will ever get a job in football again, without Ashley employing him.

As a coach - he's too old hat and out of touch with modern methods

As a scout - Wenger apparently employed him as a scout, but there's no doubt he'd be too concerned with looking for plodders (e.g. signed Nolan, Lov, R.Taylor)

As a manager - awful record since Wimbledon which was like 15 years ago now, and heart problems means he's a risk to himself and employers

As a DoF - not modern enough, comes across as a crusty old man spouting gibberish and just won't do

As a pundit - too sweary and unpredictable as well as not knowing fuck all and making constant mistakes like mispronunciations, incorrect facts etc

Ashley is his only ticket back into a footballing gig.

That was our defence for like 3 or 4 games man, York.

:anguish: Alright, Ron. Babayaro n that were quality in fairness.

I don't believe Kinnear will ever get a job in football again, without Ashley employing him.

As a scout - Wenger apparently employed him as a scout, but there's no doubt he'd be too concerned with looking for plodders (e.g. signed Nolan, Lov, R.Taylor)

As a manager - awful record since Wimbledon which was like 15 years ago now, and heart problems means he's a risk to himself and employers

As a DoF - not modern enough, comes across as a crusty old man spouting gibberish and just won't do

As a pundit - too sweary and unpredictable as well as not knowing f*** all and making constant mistakes like mispronunciations, incorrect facts etc

Basically he's terrible at life.

As a pundit - too sweary and unpredictable as well as not knowing fuck all and making constant mistakes like mispronunciations, incorrect facts etc

that hasn't stopped Jamie Redknapp, Paul Merson or well most pundits in general

Season ended with Matty fucking Pattision colliding with Owen and injuring him iirc, i still hold it against Roeder that he opted to use our whole reserves team including Pattision, Alan O'Brien, Shola on the left wing, and kept Albert Luque rotting in the reserves.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember wondering and being a bit pissed off about him not playing at the time, Viana too to an extent.

In comparison to Ben Arfa it's nowt though. Imagine your team not playing Mascherano and Tevez though.

Luque was an amazing player. That said, after he left NUFC he had a lot of discipline problems with Málaga (including being caught often on the p*ss), so there may be good motives for his ostracism while at NUFC.

What was Luque actually good at?  Never really saw enough of him to work out his strengths or indeed his position..  He never had any success anywhere after us though, did he?

He was about pace and technique; he was a monster for Deportivo, really. After leaving NUFC he actually had a good season with Málaga on loan from Ajax, which prompted them to sign him permanently. He lost himself definitely after that, though, and they ended up paying off his contract and releasing him.