RIP Joe Kinnear (1946–2024)

Anderson

A kna its sh**e but let's just give the bloke a chance,he lost his only son to the big 'c' 2 years ago FFS. For all of you like me who's got kids just think about it.

May sound really harsh but we're not a charity, if Ashley wanted to help him financially he;s got plenty of money to just give him if he wanted.

Guest Geordiesned

A kna its sh**e but let's just give the bloke a chance,he lost his only son to the big 'c' 2 years ago FFS. For all of you like me who's got kids just think about it.

Sorry but what has him losing his son got to do with any of this?

Well, here we are 5 days later. The dust has settled and most of us have calmed down.

But this appointment still makes no sense at all. You'd have to be an absolute fucking clown to hire Joe Kinnear.

Nobody has even tried to put a reasonable answer forward on this one. The only one with merit is that Ashley is winding up the fans, even that's quite ridiculous.

It's clear there is no benefit at all to this appointment, in theory it will only make things worse. If it's a success for us then I will be very surprised.

Howhere mate nobody likes to out live their kids. There is people giving the bloke grief for getting names wrong Bobby used to do it all the time and nobody said f**k all. All I'm saying is let's give him a chance.

Guest tollemache

fwiw I think the thing about having large numbers of players are new to the league is bang on, but the problem is surely that they were brought in all at once, in such numbers, and into quite a pressurised environment to boot. I'd be amazed if they didn't improve as they settled

People die all of the time, it doesn't get them jobs at NUFC so what's your point?

Howhere mate nobody likes to out live their kids. There is people giving the bloke grief for getting names wrong Bobby used to do it all the time and nobody said f**k all. All I'm saying is let's give him a chance.

Slight difference imo. Bobby knew the club inside out and had achieved loads in the game. And it was the odd name Robson got wrong. Kinnear openly criticises the support on the radio and mispronounces names in ridiculous fashion, and generally acts very crass.

Of course fans are sorry he's lost a son, and sympathy is natural to that - but as mentioned above, throwing him in the deep end at Newcastle United is hugely unwise to both him as a person and the club himself. No private lives should ever impact the running of a football club, and vice verca. 

If he's seeking work, Ashley coulda offered something else.

Why give him a chance?

Why give him a chance?

Exactly.He's shit, and we've seen it first hand. 

Guest tollemache

His personal problems do give me more of a feeling of "well I hope he surprises everyone and smashes it" than I otherwise would have, but it in no way excuses the appointment or makes anyone's reaction to it distasteful. He's a professional who has chosen to take a high profile job

His personal problems do give me more of a feeling of "well I hope he surprises everyone and smashes it" than I otherwise would have, but it in no way excuses the appointment or makes anyone's reaction to it distasteful. He's a professional who has chosen to take a high profile job

His personal problems are his own, while I can feel sorry for him in that regard, he's still a prick who is punching way above his weight.

Guest tollemache

The more I hear, the more I think "Director of Football" is not his job at all. A long way from it. It's just a convenient label, the nearest thing to "guy who loosely oversees transfer stuff" they could find. I think Pardew and Carr between them will fulfill more of the duties of a real Director of Football than Kinnear will.

Is this man (personal circumstances or otherwise) a fit and suitable candidate for the role of Director of Football at Newcastle United?

Yes or No?

I know my answer.

Most people know the answer, Kinnear doesn't even come close to what you would want from a Director of Football, the decision to appoint him is as bad as it gets on every level.

Guest tollemache

Jesus...

It sounds callous but from the point of view of the club that is in a sense reassuring - i.e; if he really is that f*cked, the idea that he really is just a token mediating presence to keep Carr and Pardew ticking seems more credible. I really, really don't think he's actually going to be doing the same job that most Directors of Football do. Must say, this stuff about Carr and Pardew (Carrdew?) has kind of buoyed me a bit.

Nope. God willing, Carr retains most control and Kinnear is as marginalised as possible

And there's the big concern. He isn't going to be marginalised at all, he's going to be billy big bollocks, up front and centre, making a cock of himself, at our expense (and the expense of a great institution)

Jesus...

It sounds callous but from the point of view of the club that is in a sense reassuring - i.e; if he really is that f*cked, the idea that he really is just a token mediating presence to keep Carr and Pardew ticking seems more credible. I really, really don't think he's actually going to be doing the same job that most Directors of Football do. Must say, this stuff about Carr and Pardew (Carrdew?) has kind of buoyed me a bit.

We're not a charity or a home for washed up ex-managers for Christ sake.

Guest tollemache

I know. I'll say again, just to be really safe, I don't think we should've hired him

But given that we have, I like the idea that he's just there to... be there, provide a sounding board and try to smooth things between Carr and Pardew, than I do the idea that he's actually going to try to be a proper Director of Football. And I'm becoming increasingly convinced that there's no way he could possibly have been brought in to do that job, which gives me a small measure of hope.

Can't believe people are saying give him a chance and are using his sons death as a reason to do so.

I feel sorry for him of course, a parents worst nightmare, but fuck me you can't use that as a reason. He's learned nothing from the last time he was here and has upset everyone he's so far talked about including our best players and the fans, even Llambias walked ffs. He's single handedly made a manager on his last legs made to look the good guy, god forbid he takes charge of the squad, something that'll no doubt happen if Pardew walks or if he sacks him, and he has form for that. But the real thing that pisses me off is how much of a joke he's made us in everyone's eyes, and he's only been here a week, just imagine what damage he can do in a month nevermind a season.

Give him a chance? Fuck off.