RIP Joe Kinnear (1946–2024)

Anderson

i honestly think it is because he fucked up two transfer windows. the key strategy for our transfer policy is to buy low sell high, and if kinnear fucked up the incomings he cant sell the player on a high. that would be against his interest.

My gut feeling on this, is he has gone because he stood up to Ashley and told him we needed to make signings. 

I reckon Ashley foolishly believed Kinnear's nonsense in the pub and thought he was genuinely capable of doing the job. Once he seen how awful Kinnear was with signings he probably told him to resign before he was sacked.

My gut feeling on this, is he has gone because he stood up to Ashley and told him we needed to make signings.

Why wouldn't Ashley want to make any signings if he's looking to sell players for a profit?  If Kinnear was half competent their where players available to bring in cheap that could then be brought on and sold in the future for profit.  So if that's what we believe Ashley's aim is then why would he not want Kinnear to bring anyone in?  Kinnear simply failed miserably.

Why wouldn't Ashley want to make signings if he's looking to sell players for profit?

keeping costs as low as possible.  Wages are a massive factor in club finances.  Club the club running on as low as costs as possible, club is almost safe so its not that much of a gamble to flog your best player and not sign anyone...or go after any other first team places that need filling.

It's possible. I suppose the two extreme theories are your one and the one that he has had a mandate to sign players but due to utterly incompetent negotiationg he's failed in two windows. This club.... :undecided:

Why wouldn't Ashley want to make any signings if he's looking to sell players for a profit?  If Kinnear was half competent their where players available to bring in cheap that could then be brought on and sold in the future for profit.  So if that's what we believe Ashley's aim is then why would he not want Kinnear to bring anyone in?  Kinnear simply failed miserably.

Perhaps JK wanted a big chunk of the Cabaye money to pay for his replacement, But MA would only fund a derisory figure. leaving a near impossible challange. JK asked for more- we know hes not shy at coming forward, MA got rid.

Seems a plausible sequence of events to me .

I know it doesnt fit with, Go and die useless bastard, narrative here like.

Perhaps JK wanted a big chunk of the Cabaye money to pay for his replacement, But MA would only fund a derisory figure. leaving a near impossible challange. JK asked for more- we know hes not shy at coming forward, MA got rid.

I know it doesnt fit with, Go and die useless b******, narrative here like.

We can speculate all we want. At least the useless b****** is gone and our club is saved from further embarrassment from him.

Why wouldn't Ashley want to make signings if he's looking to sell players for profit?

keeping costs as low as possible.  Wages are a massive factor in club finances.  Club the club running on as low as costs as possible, club is almost safe so its not that much of a gamble to flog your best player and not sign anyone...or go after any other first team places that need filling.

But keeping costs low to the point where you miss out on players you can then "do a Cabaye with" isn't going to be in Ashley's best interests.

But keeping costs low to the point where you miss out on players you can then "do a Cabaye with" isn't going to be in Ashley's best interests.

Maybe he couldn't get the repalcements cheap and backed off or walked away.

It was a daft appointment in the first place that was always going to end in tears.

I think there are certain parallels with the Keegan appointment. Both are mavericks, and perhaps Ashley, as something of a maverick himself, is attracted to that kind of appointment. At the same time, he tries to avoid the pitfalls by putting structures or other people around them, all according to some scenario in his head where he's going to get the best of both worlds.

So he appoints Keegan in conjunction with a DOF who is going to keep the finances under control. He appoints Kinnear but (I assume) has other people around Joe to do a large part of the work, and effectively uses him as a consultant.

Trouble is, either the appointee or the people around them get frustrated and fed up with the situation, and it ends either with a sacking or a resignation.

I know it doesnt fit with, Go and die useless bastard, narrative here like.

Anythings possible, I just think incompetence is very likely to have been the biggest reason.  I mean we've had fourteen transfer windows with Ashley here.  In three of those windows we've failed to sign a single first team player on a permanent deal.  Two of them was with Kinnear as DOF.

Maybe he couldn't get the repalcements cheap and backed off or walked away.

Yeah he very likely failed to bring people in under the budget available.  With Ashley believing the budget isn't the problem.