RIP Joe Kinnear (1946–2024)

Anderson

I know it's conjecture but Kinnear will more likely go for the English players his limited knowledge permits. Carlton Cole (awaits abuse!) would seem the fit the profile. Hope I am spectacularly wrong but players such as Cole, Bent and Tomkins are much more likely than any more signings from Ligue 1.

Newcastle United's Derek Llambias quits as Joe Kinnear given free rein

Derek Llambias quit as Newcastle United’s managing director as he was uneasy with the appointment of Joe Kinnear as director of football and the amount of power he would hold.

By Luke Edwards

11:00PM BST 19 Jun 2013

Although Llambias made no reference to the appointment of Kinnear in his resignation statement, The Daily Telegraph has been told the two things are linked.

Llambias had been under pressure from owner Mike Ashley following last season’s dismal campaign and went on holiday when he was told Kinnear was to take control of the football side of the business. Kinnear is now the most senior figure at the club in the day-to-day absence of owner Ashley and it is difficult not to conclude Llambias has left as he feels a mistake has been made.

“I have had an incredible journey during my five years at the club, including some challenging times,” said Llambias on the club’s official website. “I will reflect with great fondness on my time in the North-East and, in me, Newcastle United have a lifelong supporter.”

Llambias’s exit, after doing so much to make the club financially self-sufficient, also leaves manager Alan Pardew in a vulnerable position as he has lost his main ally in the boardroom.

However, Pardew intends to stay and given the new management structure, in which he answers directly to Kinnear, a chance to work.

Although he is wary of being undermined by Kinnear, who will be Ashley’s eyes and ears on the training ground, and will not want any interference in team selection or tactics, Pardew remains committed to a job he has held for 2½ seasons.

Pardew, who was aware Ashley was considering appointing a director of football, but had no idea who, has finally met Kinnear and passed on his transfer targets to his new boss, who will now begin the process of trying to sign them.

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent is high on the wish list and that deal will be the first real test of Kinnear’s supposed recruitment skills. Villa are looking for £8 million for the England striker, although Newcastle had valued the 29-year-old at only £6 million.

For now, all the 51-year-old can do is hope Kinnear sticks to his word and leaves match-day matters up to him, while quietly working to bring in the players he and chief scout Graham Carr have asked for.

Like everyone associated with the club, Pardew was alarmed by Kinnear’s behaviour in a succession of interviews in which he delivered a series of false boasts, insulted fans for criticising him and repeatedly mis-pronounced the names of Newcastle’s players. That has led to a request for Kinnear to stop courting media publicity because of the embarrassment it has caused.

Pardew, who has seven years remaining on his contract and believes he is entitled to all of that in compensation if he is sacked, remains shy of talking enthusiastically about Kinnear’s arrival and his only public comment has been to the Newcastle Chronicle in which he said: “I’m staying to lead United back up the Premier League table.”

Pardew remains on the at-risk list of Premier League managers, but for now he stays and will report to Kinnear as told.

People are laughing at the club I love. It sickens me

By ALAN SHEARER

SunSport columnist

WHERE do we start?

What I do know is that right now people are laughing at the football club I support. And that sickens me.

I promised myself years ago never to be surprised by what happens in football — particularly when it comes to Newcastle.

But this situation really is stretching it a bit.

While other clubs are all plotting and planning for next season, Newcastle have a manager who has just been totally undermined.

Alan Pardew has said he will carry on but I am sure it will be a difficult situation.

I ask one question of Joe Kinnear: Would you stand for it, if you were manager?

Someone else coming out in the national media announcing they are the Director of Football before even the club have made it official.

Someone else basically taking control of who comes in and who goes out.

As for that announcement, what are the players to think when he can’t even get their names right.

It’s all a PR disaster.

Also, it’s no way to treat a man who 12 months ago was enjoying the fact he had been voted Manager of the Year for guiding Newcastle to fifth place in the Premier League.

His silence on the appointment of Kinnear himself over recent days said it all. But what could he say?

He is in such an intolerable position.

He can’t come out and slaughter his employers but at the same time he can’t agree with a situation which no manager would find comfortable.

Take this for a statement from then managing director Derek Llambias, or ‘Director of Football Derek Lambayzee’ if you prefer.

He said: “Joe will report directly to the club’s board as the senior executive in charge of all football related matters.

“Chief Scout Graham Carr and manager Alan Pardew will report into Joe.”

Pardew cannot stand for that, he was even named third in the statement when he should be the MOST important person on the staff.

As it is, the man who issued that statement resigned yesterday.

Clearly Llambias was too unhappy at what was going on. Why else would he go? I have another issue with Kinnear. Over the last few days he has banged on about how Newcastle would never have gone down had he not had his health problems and stayed on in the job to the end of the 2008-09 season.

The implication being that it was first Chris Hughton and then my fault for the club being relegated.

I had eight games as manager at the end of the season, won one, drew two and lost the rest. So, yes, I take my share of responsibility.

But Kinnear had 19 league games in charge that season and won just four, taking 20 points.

Indeed, before he was admitted to hospital with heart problems ahead of the West Brom away win on February 7, Newcastle had taken just two points from their previous 18.

Chris Hughton could not arrest the slide in his brief role as caretaker, and nor could I.

Given the downtrodden, disjointed group of players I took on, it would have been something special if I had.

So it’s about time Kinnear took some responsibility for what happened as well. It was a real eye-opener when I did take charge for those final games. The team wasn’t just a mess, the club was a mess.

Now I can’t say I know Mike Ashley well at all.

But he just keeps making too many decisions that are alienating the Newcastle fans, including the one that saw him even briefly rename St James’ Park.

After last season the club had the perfect opportunity to strengthen the side but it didn’t happen. And with the extra burden of the Europa League, Newcastle struggled.

Pardew did not become a bad manager overnight but he needs support this summer, not the rug pulled from under him.

I hope it all works out, I really do.

Kinnear has a good football background — if not quite the one he would have us think after that questionable interview.

Who knows, he may turn out to be the best director of football this country has ever had.

But, you know what? I just have this sneaking feeling that it will not all go quite to plan.

And who is left picking up the pieces again? Yes, the loyal fans.

Kinnear says they are Geordies who just want Geordies in charge.

What? Like Doncaster-born Kevin Keegan?

Kinnear has made it very difficult for himself with his public pronouncements from the start.

Right now the club is once again approaching a new season from a position of instability.

But still the fans will come. Still they will give their support.

Those 52,000 who turn up at the ground and the many more who remain loyal to the club.

Their patience is tested time and again.

They will not go away but they deserve better — much better.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4976231/Joe-Kinnear-if-you-were-manager-would-you-stand-for-this.html#ixzz2Whqcn42b

I wonder who the 2 players at the end of the article are? Maybe Haidara plus one other?

I won't meddle: Kinnear is happy for Pardew to run Newcastle show as Llambias leaves

By Ian Ladyman and Sami Mokbel

Joe Kinnear has promised Newcastle manager Alan Pardew he will not interfere with the day-to-day running of team affairs at St James’ Park.

Kinnear, controversially appointed as director of football at the North East club this week, has told Pardew he has been brought in by owner Mike Ashley only to help sign new players.

As reported in Sportsmail on Tuesday, Pardew has no intention of quitting, no matter how difficult his life has been made this week, and his first task with Kinnear will be to try to sign striker Darren Bent from Aston Villa and West Ham defender James Tomkins.

In control? Alan Pardew has been told by Joe Kinnear he will remain the main man at Newcastle

‘I am staying to take the club up the league,’ said Pardew, who has received messages of support from players and fans.

Pardew has told Kinnear he wants to reintroduce an English thread to the first team following the signing of a clutch of French players last January. Kinnear, in turn, has told the manager he will help him get the players he wants.

Whether the two men can work successfully together remains to be seen. Pardew will be aware that a club statement on Tuesday made it clear he must ‘report in’ to the new director of football, something that holds potential for conflict.

Ashley has reservations about Pardew, despite the fact that the club played in the Europa League last season and survived in the top flight for another season in the face of a crippling injury list and the January sale of star striker Demba Ba.

Pardew has told friends he has never had cross words with the owner. He knew Ashley was thinking about hiring a football director and was not surprised it was Kinnear, given their friendship and the fact that he had been the club’s manager four years ago.

One in, one out: Kinnear has joined Newcastle as Derek Llambias leaves

Pardew may have been caught in the middle of a power struggle between Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias, who resigned yesterday.

Llambias felt his reputation was in danger if he stayed at a club that seems to lurch from one controversy to another.

A row with Kinnear over the possible signing of Holland international Douglas may have contributed to his departure. Newcastle were close to completing a move for the 6ft 4in central defender on a free transfer from FC Twente when they pulled out of the deal on Tuesday.

It is thought Kinnear may have blocked the move on the basis that he did not know enough about the player, even though he is widely recognised as one of the best players in his position in Holland.

Llambias, it is understood, had spent three months working on the deal and Douglas, 25, was due to fly to Newcastle this week to complete the formalities.

Plug pulled: Douglas will no longer be signing for Newcastle

Llambias, who had worked closely with Ashley since he took over the club in 2007, did not give any public reasons for his decision to leave St James’ Park.

He said: ‘I will reflect with great fondness on my time in the North East and, in me, Newcastle United have a lifelong supporter. I wish them all well for the future.’

Last season saw Pardew struggle to maintain the previous campaign’s momentum but the 51-year-old was hampered by the sale of Ba and injuries to key players like Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa and Cheik Tiote.

Incoming? Pardew has targeted both Darren Bent and James Tomkins

It was this that saw a rash of players signed last January and it is understood there was some tension between Pardew and Ashley at this time.

One player, for example, was signed even though Pardew stressed he didn’t think he was good enough and another signing was authorised even though the club didn’t have the right structure in place to pay the player.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2344690/Joe-Kinnear-happy-Alan-Pardew-run-Newcastles-team-picture-Derek-Llambias-departs.html#ixzz2Whs68or5

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Having moved away from the North East at the turn of the year I've been somewhat removed from the emotional rollercoaster of last season. However the decision to appoint this laughing stock, this absolute joke of a man has embarrassed and enraged me in equal measure. It's times like these I wish I had no emotional attachment to the club, that I could just jack in being a supporter.

Instead I'll helplessly stand by and watch this imbecile rip apart everything good we've built since our promotion. Mike Ashley has made some foolish decisions in his time but this right up amongst his worst and most puzzling for that matter. As much as I want to chuckle at 'Kebab' and 'Amemobi' I can only blush, words genuinely fail me. Having Pardew ramble on about fatigue and referees as he guides us to mediocrity seems like a dream today, instead I'll bury my head in the sand while this fucking idiot with his delusions of grandeur and his prehistoric idea of the game drives away any lingering positivity we held for next season.

By ALAN SHEARER

SunSport columnist

WHERE do we start?

What I do know is that right now people are laughing at the football club I support. And that sickens me.

I promised myself years ago never to be surprised by what happens in football — particularly when it comes to Newcastle.

But this situation really is stretching it a bit.

While other clubs are all plotting and planning for next season, Newcastle have a manager who has just been totally undermined.

Alan Pardew has said he will carry on but I am sure it will be a difficult situation.

I ask one question of Joe Kinnear: Would you stand for it, if you were manager?

Someone else coming out in the national media announcing they are the Director of Football before even the club have made it official.

Someone else basically taking control of who comes in and who goes out.

As for that announcement, what are the players to think when he can’t even get their names right.

It’s all a PR disaster.

Also, it’s no way to treat a man who 12 months ago was enjoying the fact he had been voted Manager of the Year for guiding Newcastle to fifth place in the Premier League.

His silence on the appointment of Kinnear himself over recent days said it all. But what could he say?

He is in such an intolerable position.

He can’t come out and slaughter his employers but at the same time he can’t agree with a situation which no manager would find comfortable.

Take this for a statement from then managing director Derek Llambias, or ‘Director of Football Derek Lambayzee’ if you prefer.

He said: “Joe will report directly to the club’s board as the senior executive in charge of all football related matters.

“Chief Scout Graham Carr and manager Alan Pardew will report into Joe.”

Pardew cannot stand for that, he was even named third in the statement when he should be the MOST important person on the staff.

As it is, the man who issued that statement resigned yesterday.

Clearly Llambias was too unhappy at what was going on. Why else would he go? I have another issue with Kinnear. Over the last few days he has banged on about how Newcastle would never have gone down had he not had his health problems and stayed on in the job to the end of the 2008-09 season.

The implication being that it was first Chris Hughton and then my fault for the club being relegated.

I had eight games as manager at the end of the season, won one, drew two and lost the rest. So, yes, I take my share of responsibility.

But Kinnear had 19 league games in charge that season and won just four, taking 20 points.

Indeed, before he was admitted to hospital with heart problems ahead of the West Brom away win on February 7, Newcastle had taken just two points from their previous 18.

Chris Hughton could not arrest the slide in his brief role as caretaker, and nor could I.

Given the downtrodden, disjointed group of players I took on, it would have been something special if I had.

So it’s about time Kinnear took some responsibility for what happened as well. It was a real eye-opener when I did take charge for those final games. The team wasn’t just a mess, the club was a mess.

Now I can’t say I know Mike Ashley well at all.

But he just keeps making too many decisions that are alienating the Newcastle fans, including the one that saw him even briefly rename St James’ Park.

After last season the club had the perfect opportunity to strengthen the side but it didn’t happen. And with the extra burden of the Europa League, Newcastle struggled.

Pardew did not become a bad manager overnight but he needs support this summer, not the rug pulled from under him.

I hope it all works out, I really do.

Kinnear has a good football background — if not quite the one he would have us think after that questionable interview.

Who knows, he may turn out to be the best director of football this country has ever had.

But, you know what? I just have this sneaking feeling that it will not all go quite to plan.

And who is left picking up the pieces again? Yes, the loyal fans.

Kinnear says they are Geordies who just want Geordies in charge.

What? Like Doncaster-born Kevin Keegan?

Kinnear has made it very difficult for himself with his public pronouncements from the start.

Right now the club is once again approaching a new season from a position of instability.

But still the fans will come. Still they will give their support.

Those 52,000 who turn up at the ground and the many more who remain loyal to the club.

Their patience is tested time and again.

They will not go away but they deserve better — much better.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4976231/Joe-Kinnear-if-you-were-manager-would-you-stand-for-this.html#ixzz2Whqcn42b

Great article Big Al sums it up for me ,the biggest p.r disaster in living memory for me ,i can live with the ground name change as we all know it by its rightful name ,Wonga so fuck but JFK back just beats that for me  :knuppel2:

Guest bimpy474

I love the papers outrage at pulling the plug on the Douglas deal. when you read their stories you can tell that they don't really know anything about the player, what kind of season he's had or if he's actually any good. And when they use the term "It is thought Kinnear may have blocked the move on the basis that he did not know enough about the player".

In other words, we dont know why but we'll blame Joe and stir it a bit. It's worrying enough without that shit, i suppose we should be used to it by now.

It's horrendous. Had to field 'so, Joe Kinnear, eh? :iamatwat:' 4 separate occasions at work last night.

I've had calls, texts and emails, I'm like a lighting rod at the minute.

It's fucking grim  :dave:

I've said it before and I will say it again. I wish this f***ing guy just dies..the guy just brings no good at all..all he does is rant, screwing and messing about with other people's business, being proud of who is and the thing I hate the most about him is he talks out of his ass..that part about him and Sir Alex talking every week..like Sir Alex wants to chat with him every week.. :idiot2:

Yeah I'm going to the parade to celebrate his death one day..the guy can just p*ss off..

Guest tollemache

Yeah actually wanting him to die isn't just a matter of "harsh perhaps" - that's being a fucking repulsive cretin isn't it. If that is how you actually feel.

Guest tollemache

argh, that would tip me over the edge perhaps (not to being a death-wishing cretin, just to really really really not liking what Ashley is doing)

Carr is at the absolute epicentre of what I think has been good about Ashley's running of the club in the last X years. There is no way it's not a catastrophic blunder if we force him out

I don't know what to make of Kinnear, I don't like him as a person and I don't rate him even a tiny bit professionally, but I also genuinely don't think he's all there mentally. I found that talksport interview hilarious and called him a bullshitter, but the more I thought about it and the inaccuracies the less funny it was. I don't want to laugh or hate a man I suspect has dementia(or something like that), and watching him get torn apart by the media and fans is a bit uncomfortable, not that it's their fault, it's 100% Ashley's fault.

I don't know what to make of Kinnear, I don't like him as a person and I don't rate him even a tiny bit professionally, but I also genuinely don't think he's all there mentally. I found that talksport interview hilarious and called him a bullshitter, but the more I thought about it and the inaccuracies the less funny it was. I don't want to laugh or hate a man I suspect has dementia(or something like that), and watching him get torn apart by the media and fans is a bit uncomfortable, not that it's their fault, it's 100% Ashley's fault.

He's just a deluded old cunt who drinks himself stupid all the time.