RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

Most likely in my view is that he doesn't fancy paying Pardew whatever he's due if he's sacked so wants him to throw in the towel. If he takes out any of the others whom have mis-performed in the process well then so be it.

so you agree with the grenade theory then

Jesus Christ man what?

you're questioning whether a man who has made over a billion pounds is clever or astute

that's what :lol:

He would be good in his particular line of business, that doesn't mean he is across the board which has been shown when buying the club.

Jesus Christ man what?

you're questioning whether a man who has made over a billion pounds is clever or astute

that's what :lol:

He started out alone but don't think he did it all on his own back with SD. Some businessmen and women are complete fucking morons but for any number of reasons, be it good instinct or a good idea do become successful.

Guest tollemache

nah he's famously shrewd and hard-nosed when it comes to business.... still struggling to wrap my head round this one

He's only in one real type of business and he's good at it.

Anything else he's ballsed up.

I would tend to agree, although you could argue that from his point of view he hasn't really ballsed up his management of Newcastle, at least not in the short term. He has returned us to the PL, the massive TV deal has arrived, the wage bill and transfer spending is relatively affordable. He doesn't have to pour his own money in.

We have these disasters from time-to-time, but maybe Ashley doesn't see them like that. I don't understand the reasons for stuff like appointing Kinnear, maybe he just thinks he can do it without doing too much damage. He seems to underestimate the effect of these changes on results as well.

But if our finances continue to improve and we provide him with a distraction from Sports Direct and something else to entertain him, he might not think he's ballsed it up at all. The problem is we could do so much more given the right conditions. But if he doesn't care about that, he doesn't care about that.

I would tend to agree, although you could argue that from his point of view he hasn't really ballsed up his management of Newcastle, at least not in the short term. He has returned us to the PL, the massive TV deal has arrived, the wage bill and transfer spending is relatively affordable. He doesn't have to pour his own money in.

We have these disasters from time-to-time, but maybe Ashley doesn't see them like that. I don't understand the reasons for stuff like appointing Kinnear, maybe he just thinks he can do it without doing too much damage. He seems to underestimate the effect of these changes on results as well.

But if our finances continue to improve and we provide him with a distraction from Sports Direct and something else to entertain him, he might not think he's ballsed it up at all. The problem is we could do so much more given the right conditions. But if he doesn't care about that, he doesn't care about that.

You cannot say returning us to the Premiership is an Ashley achievement , it was his fault we weren't in it to start with .

Guest tollemache

Well yes, I don't think his tenure is a balls-up at all. If you step back and squint at it, as I've always said, it looks pretty decent and overall I've thought for a while we were on more or less a good trajectory. But this is just weird. Two of my favourite things about Newcastle in the last couple of years have been the cool-headed transfer policy and showing faith in the staff by giving them long contracts (albeit probably quite porous ones). So to bring about this wacky change and antagonise the people you showed so much faith in only a year ago and seemed so willing to back through thick and thin, including the guy who is the nucleus of that sensible, long-termist transfer policy, just doesn't square with anything. This is the first time I've thought, long or short term, this has to be a cock-up.

Unpopular decisions (stadium branding, sponsorship etc, not buckling and spending in the summer window last year) are one thing- some would argue they were destructive, some would argue they were simply necessary or justified by serving a greater purpose. But this seems destructive even in the context of his own plans. That's what bugs me about it

Guest tollemache

You cannot say returning us to the Premiership is an Ashley achievement , it was his fault we weren't in it to start with .

Not so sure about that. We'd been on a pretty grim path for a long time before he took over

Nah I know, he was a big part of the cause, but what I mean is that particular negative has now been corrected.

Well yes, I don't think his tenure is a balls-up at all. If you step back and squint at it, as I've always said, it looks pretty decent and overall I've thought for a while we were on more or less a good trajectory. But this is just weird. Two of my favourite things about Newcastle in the last couple of years have been the cool-headed transfer policy and showing faith in the staff by giving them long contracts (albeit probably quite porous ones). So to bring about this wacky change and antagonise the people you showed so much faith in only a year ago and seemed so willing to back through thick and thin, including the guy who is the nucleus of that sensible, long-termist transfer policy, just doesn't square with anything. This is the first time I've thought, long or short term, this has to be a cock-up.

Unpopular decisions (stadium branding, sponsorship etc, not buckling and spending in the summer window last year) are one thing- some would argue they were destructive, some would argue they were simply necessary or justified by serving a greater purpose. But this seems destructive even in the context of his own plans. That's what bugs me about it

Basically my thinking too, it's just totally baffling. He seems to think he can make massive decisions based on personal whims, and not have it damage the club at all. It's genuinely impossible to understand.

He ballsed up right at he start by not doing due diligence and therefore needing to put his own money in. A debt that has not one away and one that he is unlikely to get back if he keeps the club.

He has streamlined the club but it could be performing way above what it is now with a bit of common sense.

Not so sure about that. We'd been on a pretty grim path for a long time before he took over

But never in peril of relegation. His constant fuck ups were the catalyst to us going down absolutely no doubt about it.

He ballsed up right at he start by not doing due diligence and therefore needing to put his own money in. A debt that has not one away and one that he is unlikely to get back if he keeps the club.

He has streamlined the club but it could be performing way above what it is now with a bit of common sense.

Yep, he ballsed up the acquisition, no doubt about it. But in a weird way that might make our current financial situation even more pleasing to him.

And obviously you're right, we're not fulfilling our potential. But if he doesn't care about that it won't bother him.

Do we need a debate about the motives behind the decision to bring Kinnear in? Kinnear is here and it looks like the club is once again going to shit and the person to blame for that is Ashley, he's a total prick, why he's doing things is irrelevant to me.

Do we need a debate about the motives behind the decision to bring Kinnear in? Kinnear is here and it looks like the club is once again going to s*** and the person to blame for that is Ashley, he's a total prick, why he's doing things is irrelevant to me.

:thup:

also backing up my conspiracy theory, when he said yohan kebab it was too straight...he didn't stutter or falter, then a sentence or two later he calls him cabaye

hoax man, telling you...probably realises how badly the insomnia thing went down and is playing up to it...no way ANYONE gets those three names wrong imo

It's definitely intentional.

07/08 - Finished 12th, sacked Allardyce

08/09 - 4 managers, relegated

09/10 - In the 2nd division

10/11 - Sacks popular manager, stadium name etc etc

11/12 - Shit football but good results

12/13 - :anguish::scared::anguish::scared::anguish::scared::anguish::scared::anguish::scared::anguish::scared::anguish::scared:

He's had one season where things weren't a clusterfuck.  Fits 'balls up' to me.

Guest tollemache

Trimming the wage bill, coming straight back up, transforming the transfer policy, sorting out the club's finances, finishing 5th, signing a lot of bargains

Think you've been a little selective there haven't you. Come on

Finishing 5th was an achievement.  The rest you've mentioned all concern saving him money.

Guess we'll be playing that big bag of money up front again then?  The financial stuff is great, wonderful but it's not why I watch football and it's not why I support this club.