RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

While sacking Pardew sounds like the easiest option available there, I do wonder if there is any manager or coach in the world that could cope with this system.  People are assuming that a tactically brilliant manager should be able to utilize the players' signed by Carr. I have doubt over this.  Usually it is the manager who have their preference and ask the scout to check them out, while occasionally the scout also provide a list of talents to the manager to consider.  The manager has the right to decide whether the potential target suit his own style or team's needs.  However what is happening, to me, is this is actually done by Carr himself and Pardew can just play the new comers even if he believes they couldn't perform what Pardew wants.  This is a huge problem to me.  Yes it is easy to say a tactically brilliant manager can solve it, but the truth is all the manager has his own style and it is more than just "short passing / hoof ball".  Some managers' tactics are based on wingers (e.g. SAF), some requires excellent passer in the middle as well as great stamina to press (e.g. Barca style), some requires fucking pacy attackers to carry out counter attack (e.g. Mourinho).  They have preferences. You can't fit Sissoko into Barca, Cisse definitely too slow for Mourinho, Cabaye probably would be another Carrick in Man Utd as well.

Pardew should be sacked, Carr should stay, but the system has to change.  The manager must have to have more say on transfers. We shouldn't only do bargaining deals.  Sometimes if there is a player that the manager desperately need to bring in for his tactics, even if he is overpriced, the club should still go for it.  An example is Joe Allen, definitely overpriced, and not performing that good in Liverpool, but he is actually a critical input for Rodgers to change the scousers playing style.

Sounds to me like Pards was trying to put the blame for last season on the players and Carr.  I can kind of see what MA might be doing in that case, give him enough rope to hang himself.

It would be easy for Pards to pull the wool over Mike and Dekkas eyes with regards to the quality of the playing side but not Carr.  How can Mike decide who is right in that case?  He can't, he knows sod all about football. 

What's  the solution?

Bring in someone with good knowledge and experience in the game who Mike trusts to mediate and give him a definitive, unbiased, objective opinion.

So far so good, it actually sounds like a very good plan.  Unfortunately for us the only football man Mike knows and trusts is JFK which, obviously, is where the whole thing goes to shit.  If Rene Girard had been a regular at Ashley's local instead of Captain Makebelieve then we'd probably be feeling pretty good about this.

On the plus side, there is a million to one chance that JFK isn't a total ballsack and will back Carr's judgement, possibly meaning the end of the road for laughing boy.  Hell, if he just flips a coin between them we've got a 50/50 chance of coming out of it ok.

Guest chopey

There is nothing wrong with our players its all down to Pardew anyone who goes to the matches on a regular basis can see that,

1 goal at home since 11 march

No goals scored from a corner in almost 2 years

floating crosses in to the far post from set pieces doesn't work........end of

Long balls over the midfield resulting in Cisse either offside or he cant hold it up

every single player in the box when defending set pieces

when we do manage to score a fluky last minute goal and win pardew struts around like he is Pep guardiola

playing players out of position

No plan B

Kinnear and Pardew are clowns and must leave our club I would take no new signings and a new manager rather than spend £60 million and have these two stay

Dunno if this was actually posted on Monday but there was a copy of that day's paper in the takeaway last night. I can't find a decent sized version of the back page online but they appeared to have an up to date image of Kinnear:

http://i.imgur.com/oqcKcyr.jpg

Should have taken a photo on my phone, the fucker looks like Pat Butcher.

And actually.... thinking it over

If there was a clash between Pardew and Carr then absolutely the best thing I could imagine would be a token figurehead to make sure Carr's talent is not wasted while Pardew is given an excuse to be less concerned with transfers. The only more direct way of doing it would be to make Graham Carr Director of Football, which he probably doesn't want anyway and which would just cause open warfare. It could be that bringing in some clod just to fulfill that role is the most efficient way of getting manager and scout to work together. Now all they have to do is lock Kinnear in a dark room and make sure he never speaks to anyone in the media ever again.

:lol: You're definitely not determined to defend Ashley no matter what, yet you're on here defending the Kinnear appointment. I thought it was the first move of Ashley's that you couldn't in any way defend, but you've managed it pretty sharpish. You couldn't make it up.

not easy to find a better scout, but a better manager/coach wouldn't be hard to spot.

A manager who would accept that the scout has more say on his squad than him, who would take the job under those conditions, not to mention now the JFK factor.

not easy to find a better scout, but a better manager/coach wouldn't be hard to spot.

A manager who would accept that the scout has more say on his squad than him, who would take the job under those conditions, not to mention now the JFK factor.

That's certainly my stance on why i don't want Pardew gone, just can't see other managers around who can work under the conditions given. It certainly doesn't make it any easier for the manager knowing he doesn't have much control or have a big say within the club. The JFK makes things even worse. I wouldn't trust MA to pick me a sandwich let alone pick Newcastle's next manager ever again. Hope Pardew stays as long as he is here to stop from any further embarrassment appointments. Once new owners come in, i’ll be more than happy to join the Pardew out brigade and shift him on for someone a hell of a lot better.

Guest tollemache

And actually.... thinking it over

If there was a clash between Pardew and Carr then absolutely the best thing I could imagine would be a token figurehead to make sure Carr's talent is not wasted while Pardew is given an excuse to be less concerned with transfers. The only more direct way of doing it would be to make Graham Carr Director of Football, which he probably doesn't want anyway and which would just cause open warfare. It could be that bringing in some clod just to fulfill that role is the most efficient way of getting manager and scout to work together. Now all they have to do is lock Kinnear in a dark room and make sure he never speaks to anyone in the media ever again.

:lol: You're definitely not determined to defend Ashley no matter what, yet you're on here defending the Kinnear appointment. I thought it was the first move of Ashley's that you couldn't in any way defend, but you've managed it pretty sharpish. You couldn't make it up.

I've said time and time again that I think bringing in Kinnear is very daft indeed. What I did there was to try to make some sense of the rationale behind it, which I've so far failed to do, but in the light of this stuff about Pardew vs Carr, some new possibilities emerge and it's interesting to discuss them. The idea that he's there solely to act as a buffer and isn't actually here to run the football club is about the most positive spin you can put on it. It *could* be that bringing in some clod to fulfill that role is the most efficient way of getting manager and scout to work together - that doesn't translate to "right, I've decided that bringing Joe Kinnear in was the right decision". Does it. No.

Again, you seem desperate to maintain your image of me as someone who will defend everything Ashley does. So let me recap just to be clear:

- I would sooner have Joe Kinnear nowhere near NUFC. He is a buffoon. Appointing him is a bad idea and I've found it impossible to make sense of.

- If he is here purely to stop Pardew and Carr's disagreements bringing the club to a grinding standstill rather than to function as a true Director of Football, that is the best case scenario under these circumstances, and it is just about possible that bringing in some token 3rd guy (though ideally not Kinnear) might be the easiest/best way to sort out the Pardew / Carr thing.

Is that clear?

Guest tollemache

That's certainly my stance on why i don't want Pardew gone, just can't see other managers around who can work under the conditions given. It certainly doesn't make it any easier for the manager knowing he doesn't have much control or have a big say within the club. The JFK makes things even worse. I wouldn't trust MA to pick me a sandwich let alone pick Newcastle's next manager ever again. Hope Pardew stays as long as he is here to stop from any further embarrassment appointments. Once new owners come in, i’ll be more than happy to join the Pardew out brigade and shift him on for someone a hell of a lot better.

You could approach the overwhelming majority of foreign managers on the understanding that someone above them would be in charge of bringing in players and it would be fine. They'd expect to influence the choice of targets but by no means to control it. The idea that a manager brings players in is pretty much a British one.

Guest tollemache

Yeah perhaps the role itself makes sense but I'm struggling to think of anyone I'd put below Kinnear on the pecking order for that job. He's a terrible communicator and is almost emblematic of everything that is primitive about English football.