Sunderland

Nobody

1) The beach

Miles of golden sands, stunning views, happy children splashing in the sea – nothing can beat Sunderland’s seafront on a clear blue day.

Newcastle tries to make up for it with a dodgy-looking little sandpit on the Quayside. Really?

2) The Sunderland International Airshow

The biggest free airshow in Europe, attracting over one million visitors every year to our aforementioned amazing seafront with thrills, spills and visual spectaculars.

What has Newcastle got? The Hoppings? We even pinched that off them a couple of years ago.

3) The Stadium of Light gigs

Sunderland has attracted some of the biggest names in music history since it began hosting concerts in 2008, kicking the dated St James’ Park into touch.

Bruce Springsteen, Oasis, Coldplay, Rihanna, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Take That, Bon Jovi... the list goes on.

True, they have the Arena and the O2 Academy, but it’s nice to see the Geordies travelling through here for the really big gigs each summer.

4) The Sunderland Empire

We’ve got the only theatre in the region capable of hosting top shows, making us the West End of the North East.

Newcastle’s Theatre Royal just isn’t equipped to host the likes of The Lion King, Wicked and War Horse – and it can’t expand because of its location.

We’ll keep the big shows coming to us, thanks Tyneside.

5) The Aquatic Centre

With it’s graceful curved roof and impressive facilities, the Aquatic Centre is the best and biggest swimming pool in the North East.In fact, it’s the only 50m pool between Edinburgh and Leeds – meaning we get all the top competitions, and the best swimmers and divers in the region coming to us.

Some young athletes have even moved here to be near the pool.

Newcastle has the Byker baths. Erm, no thanks!

1. Never heard of Tynemouth, Cullercoats, and Whitley Bay? All of which have blue flag rating, something which I'm unsure Sunderland has.

2. Ok, we'll let you have that one, though these days it's swamped various agencies of our armed forces begging anyone under the age of 40 to join them and ice cream vans that charge you £3 for a 99.

3. Really? As the article points out Newcastle already has music venues that operate through out the year, not just one or two gigs in the summer which suffers from Metro problems due to the amount of people leaving Sunderland after the event is over. Ever been to one of those gigs?, the acoustics is terrible, football stadiums are just that, football stadiums. SJP outdated, you mean the stadium that was fully refurbished and expanded after the SOL was built?

You only had the hopping for 1 year, to be honest if they want they are welcome to it. The amount of nearby houses that get burgled, the amount of people mugged, even raped, or stabbed every time it comes isn't worth it.

4. Refer to my post above.

5. How many youngsters in Sunderland has it actually attracted to the sport? It's alright saying it brings in events, a valid comment but the true vision for it was to encourage people in the local area to the sport. Having plentiful swimming pools and leisure centre's is far better to the local community than having 1 olympic swimming pool with occasional use.

Guest KingShearer

As if we'd want a bloody airshow :lol:

as if we could have one

As we have an international airport on the outskirts of the city, it could and most likely would be catastrophic to have an airshow here.

The whole point of having an airshow in an out the way place like Sunderland, is that is has no importance in terms of air traffic, the silly b******s.

That's not exactly true though.

One of the biggest airshows is the Dubai Airshow in the Middle East, and they have a lot of traffic

The point's still shit though, who cares about an airshow?

As if we'd want a bloody airshow :lol:

as if we could have one

As we have an international airport on the outskirts of the city, it could and most likely would be catastrophic to have an airshow here.

The whole point of having an airshow in an out the way place like Sunderland, is that is has no importance in terms of air traffic, the silly b******s.

That's not exactly true though.

One of the biggest airshows is the Dubai Airshow in the Middle East, and they have a lot of traffic

The point's still shit though, who cares about an airshow?

It's located at the other end of Dubai than the airport is though, approximately the same distance as Newcastle airport and Sunderland air show.

Guest Open_C

Theatre Royal does have a relatively tiny stage compared to other places tbh (never been to the Sunlun Empire so I don't know about that).  Magnificent building, but it is a little bit on the tiny side.  I should imagine that backstage and wings are truly minuscule.

The real question is, of course, who the fuck wants to go to see The Lion King or any of that shite that requires a bigger stage :)

Guest KingShearer

Theatre Royal does have a relatively tiny stage compared to other places tbh (never been to the Sunlun Empire so I don't know about that).  Magnificent building, but it is a little bit on the tiny side.  I should imagine that backstage and wings are truly minuscule.

The real question is, of course, who the f*** wants to go to see The Lion King or any of that s**** that requires a bigger stage :)

Adam Johnson

I live in Ponteland and get to see most of the planes through my front window. They use our airport while they are waiting to fly down to that shithole for a few minutes flypast. These fuckers really are desperate to justify their existence.

F*ck me! 5 reasons, and none of them matter in the slightest! I attended their 'airshow' once in about 2008 - you couldn't see a thing because of the sea fret and every doylem within a 5 mile radius seemed to be attending for the sole purpose of drinking cans of Fosters in public.

To all you mackems reading - I could post a hundred reasons why Newcastle is better than that sink-estate poundland you call home. But I don't need to. And you all know why.

Guest ElCid

Most jealous and pathetic set of fans are the mackems - such a chip on their shoulder which is totally laughable - they have nearly as many threads on Newcastle than they do on their own club  :blush:

The air show is good if you are interested in aviation. Some of you are talking like you wouldn't even look up if a Eurofighter went over your head with its afterburners on. Planes taking off and landing at Newcastle airport are not doing air show manoeuvres. It's a bit "I'll never wear anything Red/I'll never eat Sugar Puffs" to say it is s***. It's the only reason I've ever been to Sunderland in the last couple of years. Sunderland is s*** but some of the things that happen there are good.

I'm exiled in Bournemouth and I love our airshow down here, and when I lived up north I went to the Sunderland one many times. It's a good event.

But it's not as if Newcastle could have one, simply because of their location. You can't do aerobatics over city centres ffs, it's just not allowed. There's a bloody good reason that most of these things take place along a long, wide seafront - Maximum spectators can see and minimum them dying if something goes tits up, which sadly on occasion it does.

Such an odd bunch.

Mind you, I saw an article on the BBC website the other day about how the Theatre Royal has had to absorb cuts by putting shite musicals on to pull crowds in, had a look on the theatre website and fuck me, they weren't kidding. The fucking Bodyguard's on at the moment for 3 weeks.

Presuming it's the same one, we saw The Bodyguard in the West End 2 year ago. It was brilliant, to be honest.

Have I missed something? Not arguing about which is the better city? It's Newcastle, and any Sunderland fan that says otherwise clearly hasn't been to Newcastle. Oh, and the Empire is the biggest theatre between Manchester and Edinburgh, that's why it gets all the big West End shows. 

Let's get back to football, or at least what passes for football in the North East. Normally I'd be happy with a draw on any derby day but we desperately need a win. So being Sunderland we'll probably get beat. If we do we're as good as down because I'm certain Burnley will finish above us.

Hopefully it'll be relatively trouble free, otherwise we'll have Northumbria Plod saying 'Told you so'  :(

Sunderland will win. They need it, their players care more, they have won the last 4, they actually try in these games. Our players are either missing, shit or on their summer holidays, at least 3-0 possibly more,. Cant even be arsed that much, its Ashley version of NUFC and its Shit.

Sunderland will win. They need it, their players care more, they have won the last 4, they actually try in these games. Our players are either missing, shit or on their summer holidays, at least 3-0 possibly more,. Cant even be arsed that much, its Ashley version of NUFC and its Shit.

Pretty much this.