Sunderland

Nobody

Doubt many teams in the past have had as many difficult home games as Sunderland so far though, that's where shite like this usually pick up the vast majority of their points.

Fulham (lost), Arsenal (lost), Liverpool (lost), Man Utd (lost), NUFC (won), Man City (won), Chelsea (lost), Spurs (lost), Norwich (drew).

That's 7 out of 9 of their home games (if you include us) that have been incredibly tough on the face of it, I'm not saying that guarantees anything but they have 10 home games against less threatening opposition now to save their season, so it's not as cut-and-dry as comparing to previous seasons.  They need to turn it around soon though, as I say.  If they're not picking up wins by mid/late January you'd probably say they were fucked.

Come the end of the season they have those games away. Didn't Blackburn have a similar scheduale at the start of the season they went down?

What you are missing to mention is that if their home fixtures so far have been hard then their away fixtures have been easy, in that case how come they haven't won one of them?

This game today was the second of thier winning run and the second draw. they need to be beating teams in/around them. Big big ask for them to turn this around.

Exactly what I have been saying.

Away from home they have played Southampton, Crystal Palace, West Brom, Swansea, Hull, Stoke, Aston Villa, and West Ham. Fair enough Swansea and Southampton are difficult places to go, but the rest of them are teams around them and out of all of those fixtures they have taken 3 points (3 draws). Crystal Palace, West Brom, Hull, and Stoke are all teams around them and they have lost all of those games and to Swansea who are obviously a little bit more of a challenge.

Doubt many teams in the past have had as many difficult home games as Sunderland so far though, that's where shite like this usually pick up the vast majority of their points.

Fulham (lost), Arsenal (lost), Liverpool (lost), Man Utd (lost), NUFC (won), Man City (won), Chelsea (lost), Spurs (lost), Norwich (drew).

That's 7 out of 9 of their home games (if you include us) that have been incredibly tough on the face of it, I'm not saying that guarantees anything but they have 10 home games against less threatening opposition now to save their season, so it's not as cut-and-dry as comparing to previous seasons.  They need to turn it around soon though, as I say.  If they're not picking up wins by mid/late January you'd probably say they were fucked.

Come the end of the season they have those games away. Didn't Blackburn have a similar scheduale at the start of the season they went down?

What you are missing to mention is that if their home fixtures so far have been hard then their away fixtures have been easy, in that case how come they haven't won one of them?

This game today was the second of thier winning run and the second draw. they need to be beating teams in/around them. Big big ask for them to turn this around.

Away from home they have played Southampton, Crystal Palace, West Brom, Swansea, Hull, Stoke, Aston Villa, and West Ham. Fair enough Swansea and Southampton are difficult places to go, but the rest of them are teams around them and out of all of those fixtures they have taken 3 points (3 draws). Crystal Palace, West Brom, Hull, and Stoke are all teams around them and they have lost all of those games and to Swansea who are obviously a little bit more of a challenge.

Chaotic and confidence-shot (and pretty shit playing staff-wise tbf) club in bad away form shocker.

I'm not saying they'll stay up, I'm saying you can't write them off now when they're 4 points off the pace and have 10 home games that don't include the top 5 or 6 teams.

Also, the team you support managed to stay up by 5 points (effectively 6) while only picking up 2 away wins all season (in January/May).

The team I support were not on 10 points at this stage of the season and were never in this position, if we had have been then we would have went down.

Chaotic and confidence-shot (and pretty shit playing staff-wise tbf) club in bad away form shocker.

I'm not saying they'll stay up, I'm saying you can't write them off now when they're 4 points off the pace and have 10 home games that don't include the top 5 or 6 teams.

It's massively unlikely that they will stay up though, good home fixtures or not.

:lol: It's not massively unlikely, they have almost as much chance as anyone else down there of getting out of it.  A few wins and they're back in with a chance, let's just hope they don't pick them up.  I reckon end of January if they're still drawing home games then you can say they're probably doomed.

:lol: It's not massively unlikely, they have almost as much chance as anyone else down there of getting out of it.  A few wins and they're back in with a chance, let's just hope they don't pick them up.  I reckon end of January if they're still drawing home games then you can say they're probably doomed.

:lol:

Also, the team you support managed to stay up by 5 points (effectively 6) while only picking up 2 away wins all season (in January/May).

The team I support were not on 10 points at this stage of the season and were never in this position, if we had have been then we would have went down.

Ah you're not worth arguing with.

they could quite easily lose their next 3 prem games, 20 games in and 10pts, even with decent home games that's a big ask.

west brom and west ham for me are better equipped player wise, pick up a win each in those 3 games and Sunderland look in real trouble. The wild card is now Cardiff, tan has thrown them a huge lifeline, but even that means catching up 8pts, a win for them in the next 3 and it's 11. Cardiff also have Southampton and Sunderland at home in their next two games, the players will be well fired up for it.

Sorry just can't get my nut around this macum logic that the fixture list gave them a difficult first half of the season. They've played 17 out of 19 teams and have 10 points. They've been shite against the top sides and they've been shite against the bottom sides. They're woeful and don't create anything.

They may stay up, but as things stand they look relegation certainties with no apparent sign of anything that could change that.

Actually - NUFC 2012/13 after 17 games had 17 points, having only played 3 of Spurs (W), Man Utd (L), Man City (L), Chelsea, Sunderland, Liverpool and Arsenal at home, so we'd picked up 3 points against these sides.  After that point we picked up just 3 points in the remainder of those 4 fixtures, so take potentially as many as 9 away from 17 and stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Stifler.  We could have quite easily been in a similar position last year with the same run of fixtures.

Too complicated, didn't read?  Give your Rain Man impression a rest once in a while and appreciate that there's more to it than that only 1 team have recovered from being in this position in Premier League history. 

It's a weird season and they're showing signs of improvement in their performances and have the transfer window to add talent, they're not finished quite yet.

The worry for Sunderland is that 6 of their 10 points have come from teams in the top 6

To stay up they need to beat the teams around them and so far they have failed to do that

Though it looks unlikely I would not rule out them surviving, on paper they have a decent run of home fixtures and also there is a lot of crap at the bottom end of the table so I don't think teams will get too far away from them

The worry for Sunderland is that 6 of their 10 points have come from teams in the top 6

To stay up they need to beat the teams around them and so far they have failed to do that

Though it looks unlikely I would not rule out them surviving, on paper they have a decent run of home fixtures and also there is a lot of crap at the bottom end of the table so I don't think teams will get too far away from them

Their two wins have been nothing but flukes IMO. We should have drawn and citeh didn't turn up. Teams fighting it out down there will give them a game, they'll fight for their lives and with every missed opportunity that passes the pressure builds on the next game.

Re. Jozy, from 'Uncle Sam' on RTG, after five pages of moaning about how utterly woeful he is

Please, please sell him. Put some 19 yo wanker from your reserves out there to run around with no service, no support. Let Jozy prepare properly for the Brazil for a team with actual top flight players. Thanks.

:)

Actually - NUFC 2012/13 after 17 games had 17 points, having only played 3 of Spurs (W), Man Utd (L), Man City (L), Chelsea, Sunderland, Liverpool and Arsenal at home, so we'd picked up 3 points against these sides.  After that point we picked up just 3 points in the remainder of those 4 fixtures, so take potentially as many as 9 away from 17 and stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Stifler.  We could have quite easily been in a similar position last year with the same run of fixtures.

Too complicated, didn't read?  Give your Rain Man impression a rest once in a while and appreciate that there's more to it than that only 1 team have recovered from being in this position in Premier League history. 

It's a weird season and they're showing signs of improvement in their performances and have the transfer window to add talent, they're not finished quite yet.

The fact remains that we had 7 more points than Sunderland do at this stage of the season.

Only 1 team at this stage of the season have had a points total similar to that of Sunderland's and have stayed up. That team was WBA, in the process they won 5 more games and stayed up with some of the lowest points total needed to stay up.

You can argue that they have had a difficult home set of fixtures to the season all you like. It kind of is a shit argument when you take into account their two wins so far have been at home against two of those so called difficult sides. Look at their other games, they have played games against teams around them and have lost the majority of them, Palace, WBA, Hull, and Villa.

Yes last season if our fixtures were a little bit more harsh then we could have been in a similar position, but you know what, they weren't and we weren't in a similar position to them.

Statistically speaking their chances of staying up are slim. Do they have a chance of staying up, yes they do, but it would require a massive turnaround. Even Reading and QPR last season who were in a similar position to Sunderland at this stage went under a good run of form but still went down because the turnaround required was too much.

More from Uncle Sam

On mackem opinions of international football

You don't give a shit about int'l football because your side has no one close to international quality.

On being asked if he supports the club or just the player

some of the supporters here are truly awful, which has made it impossible to like the club. It would be much easier to support Sunderland if there weren't so many idiots. Sorry, but that's the truth.

:lol: