Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Guest Roger Kint

We're the only team in for him and we're going to give him 50 grand a week. Mugs if thats the case.

What? 50K is perfectly reasonable in today's football, especially for a striker with his record.

What on Earth do you think we'd pay him? Please be realistic. My goodness.

Realistic in the way that a footballer will take a pay cut to play for nufc?

At present his alternative is to not play for 2 years. Hardly a difficult choice really

In my opinion, he`s a plank.

He was no threat at all to us at Villa Park last season & lads I know who are Villa fans don't rate the bloke.

Perhaps the most salient point, however, is why a club so desperately in need of goals last season, chose to use him as a bit-part player.

Please, we must be able to do better than this.

We're the only team in for him and we're going to give him 50 grand a week. Mugs if thats the case.

What? 50K is perfectly reasonable in today's football, especially for a striker with his record.

That must be why Fulham agreed to pay him it? Always thought of him as a player who puts £'s before his career

He was no threat at all to us at Villa Park last season & lads I know who are Villa fans don't rate the bloke.

Perhaps the most salient point, however, is why a club so desperately in need of goals last season, chose to use him as a bit-part player.

You can form your own opinion on Bent without needed Villa fans to tell you about him. You know what you're going to get with him. The problem isnt us signing Bent, its creating chances for him.

Realistic in the way that a footballer will take a pay cut to play for nufc?

At present his alternative is to not play for 2 years. Hardly a difficult choice really

Not difficult for him at all.

You can form your own opinion on Bent without needed Villa fans to tell you about him. You know what you're going to get with him. The problem isnt us signing Bent, its creating chances for him.

Nail on the head.

He needs quality crosses and through balls, a rarity at nufc unfortunately.

I know it's not how football works, but I don't really care what he's on at villa. He's not a 50,000 player.

No one wants him, we only do because our manager is a plank.

Or because we need goals badly and he's scored them at every PL club he's been at.

He's not gonna make any difference if we still can't create.

Eh? I wouldn't have much of a problem with £50k a week. We've had far worse players than that on more. I'd say if anything it's just a little over what is fair, but as we need goals and he gets them it's probably reasonable. Surely Cisse must be on something similar?

I agree, I'm actually encouraged that he is willing to take a 30k/week pay cut, as I wasn't convinced he wanted to come here. There is still no way we are going to pay Villa's asking price of £8m though, so that's what's probably holding up the deal.

If signing for us renews his interest/hunger for football he will score plenty of goals for us. More than Cisse but not as many as Ba. A few years ago I probably would have been apathetic to him coming here but after the past few seasons I`m actually hoping he does. Another season without a few decent forwards would actually completely ruin my passion for football. A few years ago I would have made a couple of phone calls for the gossip on this one but I really can`t be bothered after the tourture of last season.

If signing for us renews his interest/hunger for football he will score plenty of goals for us. More than Cisse but not as many as Ba. A few years ago I probably would have been apathetic to him coming here but after the past few seasons I`m actually hoping he does. Another season without a few decent forwards would actually completely ruin my passion for football. A few years ago I would have made a couple of phone calls for the gossip on this one but I really can`t be bothered after the tourture of last season.

Cisse 21 goals, Ba 29 goals

Bent 25?

Bent 25?

I was thinking more league goals as we are not in Europe this season.

Bent 25?

That is league goals ;)

Reckon resistance to this player will fade as the weeks go by without a striker coming in. Of all the strikers we've been linked with, I think he least fits the system. With no signings and the possibility of Cisse leaving, I will gladly accept this less-than-ideal option especially with the alternative being Shola.

Bent 25?

That is league goals ;)

Is it, oh I had him down as 8 league goals last season ?

Guest Roger Kint

Bent 25?

That is league goals ;)

Is it, oh I had him down as 8 league goals last season ?

Clearly adding 2 seasons together there though

My opinions are formulated not only by what I witness, but also by the opinions of others whom I value.

I see him as a poacher with little else to offer with performances relative to his level of confidence. 

Loan with Villa paying a chunk of his wages mentioned in todays Journal.

Can't see them agreeing to that, bit of a jump from £8m to free AND they contribute to his wages :lol:

Guest Recoba

Villa have made it too obvious they are desperate to get rid. Sending a player to train with the youth team and striping him of his squad number is like playing poker with your cards on the table.

Villa have made it too obvious they are desperate to get rid. Sending a player to train with the youth team and striping him of his squad number is like playing poker with your cards on the table.

Very true...