The other games today - 2013/14

JH

I don't like the way the Europa League is basically champions league lite being set up in the exact same way and the group stage is just plain dull for me it only starts to get interesting in the knockout phase which also introduces another element I despise; the arrival of the champions league losers just to completely undermine the credibility of the competition even further.

The theory of the Europa League is decent the execution is horrendous, what it needs to be taken more seriously is make it feel different to the champions league not just champions league lite as it currently is and imho the best way for that is a 2 legged knockout competition with no seeds from the very start and most definitely no one parachuting down from the Champions League as a reward for failure.

Well, from next year, EL winners will get a spot in the next year's Champions League group stage, so that should add to the prestige and competitiveness of the competition. Also, EL is a great tool to boost coefficient rankings. That's how Porto and Benfica got to be top seeds for CL. and how Russia is on course to kick steal France' 3rd CL spot in a couple of years.

Legia Warsaw though....0 points and 0 goals scored. I can't believe this is the same team that was so good in summer and one goal away from CL group stage. Same with that Shakhter Karagandy who were minutes away from eliminating Celtic.

I don't like the way the Europa League is basically champions league lite being set up in the exact same way and the group stage is just plain dull for me it only starts to get interesting in the knockout phase which also introduces another element I despise; the arrival of the champions league losers just to completely undermine the credibility of the competition even further.

The theory of the Europa League is decent the execution is horrendous, what it needs to be taken more seriously is make it feel different to the champions league not just champions league lite as it currently is and imho the best way for that is a 2 legged knockout competition with no seeds from the very start and most definitely no one parachuting down from the Champions League as a reward for failure.

I don't mind the group stages. The one thing that makes Europa League shite is the CL losers getting free entry to the competition. They had their shot and screwed it, absolutely no need for the consolation prize. Try again next year.