The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

Guest neesy111

I want us to go down.

Whilst not really an opinion, reading the Other Games thread, this would appear to be an unpopular thing to want.

If rafa stays and we get taken over = No relegation.

If ashley stays  = Relegation.

Guest neesy111

I want us to go down.

Whilst not really an opinion, reading the Other Games thread, this would appear to be an unpopular thing to want.

Why? It changed nothing the last 2 times and wouldn't again.

Because the fat cunt got lucky.

Tell me what decent manager is going to touch us if we go down?

I want us to go down.

Why? It changed nothing the last 2 times and wouldn't again.

Because the fat cunt got lucky.

Tell me what decent manager is going to touch us if we go down?

Exactly. Then what? We're stuck in the Championship with a shit manager and Ashley as owner. In what world is that any better?

Exactly. Then what? We're stuck in the Championship with a shit manager and Ashley as owner. In what world is that any better?

Less money coming into club. That's when Ashley will start to take notice.

He may not sell us even then but i'll take something from the fact that he's not creaming off the TV money for himself.

On the playing side, we may win a greater percentage of games.

I've grown to hate football. Partly down to Ashley, partly down to the money involved now. The sooner the whole bubble explodes the better.

Im of this ilk also and now living in the states has helped me kind of distance myself from it all. I tend to enjoy the NFL more than I do football now and the interest in NUFC has been killed by Ashley and for that I hate him more

Oh how id love football to go back to how it was mid 90s

I've grown to hate football. Partly down to Ashley, partly down to the money involved now. The sooner the whole bubble explodes the better.

That just reminded me of the '95/96 season for some reason. What a joy those days were, its like an alternate universe currently.

That just reminded me of the '95/96 season for some reason. What a joy those days were, its like an alternate universe currently.

For me Football, and the Premier League in particular, has become too 'perfect' for its own good.

Look at the top teams and players now and they are such athletes they are like machines. Compare this to the mid 90s and all of the top teams and players had at least one flaw or a characteristic in their game that would not be tolerated today. More teams however had at least one player who was a genuine entertainer and match winner.

I don't think you'd get a debut like Wanchope's now, and Ginola probbaly wouldn't be in a top 6 side. Le Tissier? Doubt he'd be a premiership starter.

OR maybe its just the advertising hoardings and shirt sponsors in the 90's were more fun

I don't like how footballers wages in the UK are (a) not public domain - not that we have a right to know, it's just interesting and (b) why it's often calculated in weekly pay. Who thinks of their wage/contract/salary in terms of weeks? Unless you are paid by the day / hour?

When I played FM I would switch the wages to a year. A £100k p/w contract was something like £5.1m a year. 3 year deal, £15m. Can quickly look at the other finances to decide whether it was worth it or not. Much easier to compare to other players too.

Because for the vast majority, the weekly pay rate was somewhat relatable, but now even that's getting out of hand. We might begin to see pay by day soon enough tbh.

Why is weekly more relatable? Monthly I would understand. Don't most people look at their income from a yearly perspective?

Guest firetotheworks

Peter Drury is a shit commentator. He seems to be constantly attempting to come up with some sort of Oscar Wilde-esque football related saying in his commentary and seems condescending when doing so.

Aye I've been banging this drum for years, he's unbearable, way worse than any of the others.

I don't like how footballers wages in the UK are (a) not public domain - not that we have a right to know, it's just interesting and (b) why it's often calculated in weekly pay. Who thinks of their wage/contract/salary in terms of weeks? Unless you are paid by the day / hour?

When I played FM I would switch the wages to a year. A £100k p/w contract was something like £5.1m a year. 3 year deal, £15m. Can quickly look at the other finances to decide whether it was worth it or not. Much easier to compare to other players too.

Because for the vast majority, the weekly pay rate was somewhat relatable, but now even that's getting out of hand. We might begin to see pay by day soon enough tbh.

Why is weekly more relatable? Monthly I would understand. Don't most people look at their income from a yearly perspective?

Maybe he means in the sense that a weekly wage of £50k doesn't immediately look as obscene to the eye as £200k a month? Hence the weekly amount getting out of hand comment. :dontknow:

That's another thing I dislike. The seeming disdain fans and other people in football have for "player power".

Football is one of the few lines of work where someone taking their own careers into their hands is frowned upon.

I think boycotting your team and refusing to play is totally unacceptable and disgusting. But I have no problem with players forcing moves behind the scenes while doing their job well on it.

Football is a fickle game. A couple big injuries and you're earning power could drop drastically. I have no problem with players chasing a big paycheque as long as they give their all in training and on the field.

If the players don't get it, some fat bastard in an office would get it instead.

That's another thing I dislike. The seeming disdain fans and other people in football have for "player power".

Football is one of the few lines of work where someone taking their own careers into their hands is frowned upon.

I think boycotting your team and refusing to play is totally unacceptable and disgusting. But I have no problem with players forcing moves behind the scenes while doing their job well on it.

Football is a fickle game. A couple big injuries and you're earning power could drop drastically. I have no problem with players chasing a big paycheque as long as they give their all in training and on the field.

If the players don't get it, some fat bastard in an office would get it instead.

The average salary is £26000ish, anybody who is earning that per week, can fuck off with the short career argument. You only need a year to earn more than the average person earns in a lifetime.

Also they don't take their careers into their own hands, they have agents.

If the players don't get it, some fat b****** in an office would get it instead.

The average salary is £26000ish, anybody who is earning that per week, can f*** off with the short career argument. You only need a year to earn more than the average person earns in a lifetime.

Totally agree. They earn more than most of us will make in a lifetime in a couple of years.

The tiniest, tiniest bit of financial common sense, not extensive wealth management, but basic common sense will see them right in retirement for the rest of their lives. No one is forcing players to waste their money on tasteless guilded turds and other bullshit.

Any footballer who goes bankrupt deserves all they get. After all, nothing is stopping them from getting a proper job like the fans who fork out a fortune to pay their wages.

Zero sympathy if they waste their money and have to get a job like the rest of us.

Maybe he means in the sense that a weekly wage of £50k doesn't immediately look as obscene to the eye as £200k a month? Hence the weekly amount getting out of hand comment. :dontknow:

I mean from the point of view that your average Joe can grasp what 20,25 or even 50k actually means. A year's worth of work, or x amount to spend a month on that wage after bills. What is 1m to someone who earns 30k a year?

But now as weekly wages are going beyond 300k, I was making the point that maybe we'd see these amounts referenced as 40,45k a day.

Disgusting any way its looked at tho tbh.

Peter Drury is a shit commentator. He seems to be constantly attempting to come up with some sort of Oscar Wilde-esque football related saying in his commentary and seems condescending when doing so.

Aye I've been banging this drum for years, he's unbearable, way worse than any of the others.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/may/01/david-squires-on-peter-drury-commentator-what-is-football-if-not-for-dreaming

If the players don't get it, some fat b****** in an office would get it instead.

I'd much much rather players earn the lion share of the money, not people like Mike Ashley.

TBF, I'd rather the money was burned before it found it's way into that fat cunt's pocket.

The average salary is £26000ish, anybody who is earning that per week, can f*** off with the short career argument. You only need a year to earn more than the average person earns in a lifetime.

Totally agree. They earn more than most of us will make in a lifetime in a couple of years.

The tiniest, tiniest bit of financial common sense, not extensive wealth management, but basic common sense will see them right in retirement for the rest of their lives. No one is forcing players to waste their money on tasteless guilded turds and other bullshit.

Any footballer who goes bankrupt deserves all they get. After all, nothing is stopping them from getting a proper job like the fans who fork out a fortune to pay their wages.

Zero sympathy if they waste their money and have to get a job like the rest of us.

Football is one of few professions where for some reason, trying to increase your income is frowned upon. I think it's perhaps jealousy and that people don't consider it a real job. If you saw a former Premier League footballer working a regular job you would probably get schadenfreude.

Footballers' salaries aren't decided based on your own situation. You haven't done them any favours. You have a rate based on your industry and location. Brad Pitt has his. Footballers have theirs.

Football is a billion-pound industry. The players, at the least, deserve to be as rich as possible.

£26k in a year puts you in the top 1% of the world in terms of income. In a 2 parent household, it's enough to live on. I'm not going to sit here and deride you for wanting to earn more.

And the agent works on behalf of the player. The player is the agents boss. The agent can be fired. Ultimately, players make the final decisions. Sure agents are hugely influential.

I mean from the point of view that your average Joe can grasp what 20,25 or even 50k actually means. A year's worth of work, or x amount to spend a month on that wage after bills. What is 1m to someone who earns 30k a year?

But now as weekly wages are going beyond 300k, I was making the point that maybe we'd see these amounts referenced as 40,45k a day.

Ok I understand it now. I don't understand what footballers' wages have to do with your own - but ok, I understand the point.

Why is it disgusting?

Man United turnover 650m euros per year. Their biggest earner makes about 25m per year. For 4 years before he's replaced with someone younger.

Football is one of few professions where for some reason, trying to increase your income is frowned upon. I think it's perhaps jealousy and that people don't consider it a real job. If you saw a former Premier League footballer working a regular job you would probably get schadenfreude.

Footballers' salaries aren't decided based on your own situation. You haven't done them any favours. You have a rate based on your industry and location. Brad Pitt has his. Footballers have theirs.

Football is a billion-pound industry. The players, at the least, deserve to be as rich as possible.

£26k in a year puts you in the top 1% of the world in terms of income. In a 2 parent household, it's enough to live on. I'm not going to sit here and deride you for wanting to earn more.

And the agent works on behalf of the player. The player is the agents boss. The agent can be fired. Ultimately, players make the final decisions. Sure agents are hugely influential.

Ok I understand it now. I don't understand what footballers' wages have to do with your own - but ok, I understand the point.

Why is it disgusting?

Man United turnover 650m euros per year. Their biggest earner makes about 25m per year. For 4 years before he's replaced with someone younger.

Out of interest, what is your take on CEOs who take home obscene wages?

I'd much much rather players earn the lion share of the money, not people like Mike Ashley.

Or maybe the entire game could just stop robbing it from the pockets of fans, in the first place.

The short career argument is a pathetic joke, they could easy get a job as a plumber once they retire from football. They're not forced to get a state pension from their mid 30s and prevented from gaining other work

The short career argument is a pathetic joke, they could easy get a job as a plumber once they retire from football. They're not forced to get a state pension from their mid 30s and prevented from gaining other work

Exactly. They could coach, manage, pundit, agent or something outside of football. Any career can be termed short.