First Footballing Hero

Disco

I know all of  those areas,  Bilton is in Rugby.

My Cousin lived on Leamington Road near the A46 and my uncle lived on Birches lane.  My cousin and Tim played for Bilton and my uncle ran the team so he played a small part in Flowers doing well, I suppose.

Bilton Ajax rings a bell for some reason.

Waddle/Beardsley/Gazza. I had a scrapbook when I was a bairn and had pages for us, liverpool, man united, Everton, England and 'others' and my Mam used to cut pics out of my Dads newspapers and stick the players in. Must have been around 85/86 or so because I remember the umbro v neck shirts and brown ale/greenalls logos.

I had a family who werent interested in football, so didnt get to go as a really young kid.  I had a strip though, and a neighbour saw me in it and gave me a signed photo of KK right at the end of his playing days.  KK was already big news to me, this sealed the deal.

'Shortly' afterwards, the 86 world cup, pretending to be asleep but watching the games after midnight on a 9" black and white portable.  PLEASE DOES ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER?! Beardsley in one of the games taking the ball on half way out on the left (near side for the camera), nutmegging one with his first touch, playing it round the next guy one way while running around him the other way with his second, then twatting the ball just over the bar with his third?  It was late, I was a kid, but this sticks with me.  It is in the realms of possibility that I imagined it!  I think it was the game he scored in, while Lineker got treatment. 

That tournament lit up the game for me, as far as watching and becoming attached to players went.  I think I may have been Boniek in the playground a few times, but Beardsley was the one, from then on.

Guest palnese

My dad supports Arsenal, but always loved Beardsley and Keegan, and he used to tell stories about both of them when I was a young lad.

Brings back some good memories, even though I never got to enjoy them in their prime days.

I had a family who werent interested in football, so didnt get to go as a really young kid.  I had a strip though, and a neighbour saw me in it and gave me a signed photo of KK right at the end of his playing days.  KK was already big news to me, this sealed the deal.

'Shortly' afterwards, the 86 world cup, pretending to be asleep but watching the games after midnight on a 9" black and white portable.  PLEASE DOES ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER?! Beardsley in one of the games taking the ball on half way out on the left (near side for the camera), nutmegging one with his first touch, playing it round the next guy one way while running around him the other way with his second, then twatting the ball just over the bar with his third?  It was late, I was a kid, but this sticks with me.  It is in the realms of possibility that I imagined it!  I think it was the game he scored in, while Lineker got treatment. 

That tournament lit up the game for me, as far as watching and becoming attached to players went.  I think I may have been Boniek in the playground a few times, but Beardsley was the one, from then on.

Beardsley scored 2 brilliant goals against Carlisle and Man City at home and they were almost identical.  He was running away from goal on the left chasing an opposition player who had the ball almost on the half-way line.  Both times he went down almost on one knee and wrapped his foot around the ball from behind the player.  Both times he stood up as quick as he went down and he went on to score, I don't think I've ever seen a player score a goal like that before, Beardsley did it twice and it might have been in the same season.

Bilton Ajax rings a bell for some reason.

You're right, it was.  How do you know?

I remember a Geordie chap used to come in my club ,  where i worked behind the bar for  the monthly League meeting from Bilton Ajax. We always had a chat about Newcastle as I always wore a Newcastle top, if my memory serves me right,  he may have smoked a cigar occasionally. Think my mate at work managed a team there also.

Paraguay game  3-0. Beardsley was superb but Hoddle pulled the strings in a majestic performance.

Beardsley scored 2 brilliant goals against Carlisle and Man City at home and they were almost identical.  He was running away from goal on the left chasing an opposition player who had the ball almost on the half-way line.  Both times he went down almost on one knee and wrapped his foot around the ball from behind the player.  Both times he stood up as quick as he went down and he went on to score, I don't think I've ever seen a player score a goal like that before, Beardsley did it twice and it might have been in the same season.

He was good enough to be able to admire him as a liverpool player - and thats not easy.  I dont like anybody else's players!

Then he came back and was our x-factor, our whatever the difference between talented/plucky and being dangerous is.  What a time, those first two seasons back up here

Remeber being a fan of Robbie Fowler, mainly as he was one of the few players that i knew was left footed. (even had a liverpool shirt with Fowler on the back  :blush: )

when i first properly started going to matches as a season ticket holder when i was around 10/11ish, fell in love with a certain french duo on our left hand side, Bernard and Robert were brilliantly entertaining to watch, loved trying to emulate Robert's long range efforts as a small boy, trying to score from distances i could barely kick the ball too :lol:

Outside of the prem, Rivaldo stands out for me too, loved watching him play.

Thought this would die on it's arse but my first Toon hero was Gavin Peacock, not sure why given Ned Kelly got more goals in the 92/93 season. Something about him finding space I imagine given that I still love a forward who can pull out of position to rifle home.

Thought this would die on it's arse but my first Toon hero was Gavin Peacock, not sure why given Ned Kelly got more goals in the 92/93 season. Something about him finding space I imagine given that I still love a forward who can pull out of position to rifle home.

One of my first 'heroes' was Paul Kitson cos he scored loads of goals on the second edition of the 94/95 season review video. :lol:

I'm the same with John Tudor.

didnt peacock miss a few games here and there, little injuries?  and i cant remember clearly, but one of  them must have made way for cole, who played the last 12 games?

Possibly, think Keegan threw them all in a couple of times too.

Was gutted when Peacock, understandably, left.

didnt peacock miss a few games here and there, little injuries?  and i cant remember clearly, but one of  them must have made way for cole, who played the last 12 games?

Possibly, think Keegan threw them all in a couple of times too.

Was gutted when Peacock, understandably, left.

me too, but i remember thinking not too long afterwards that it would have been just a bit hard on him had he stayed as he wasnt getting in the team we ended up with.  obvs he would have backed himself to challenge had he stayed, but life got in the way so we'll never know

Guest alijmitchell

Cole, Ferdinand, Asprilla. I bloody loved Tino, but Andy Cole was always the one I wanted to emulate. I also remember spending ages in the street trying to emulate Gazza's Euro '96 effort against Scotland.

Should add, and I wouldn't say hero as such but the guy I wanted to be on the playground was Mark Hughes. During his second spell at man united, everything he hit was spectacular. I'll never forget the goal in the cup winners cup final.

Speaking of trying to emulate goals, I always used to try and copy that Ginola goal against Ferencvaros. Outrageous.

:laugh: Aye, I've tried that a few times. Left foot onto the right, though (like it would make a difference).