First Footballing Hero

Disco

David Kelly for me.

Not for the Portsmouth goal, but for his exploits in our promotion campaign as I was only allowed to go to the games the following season when I was considered old enough to go by myself, as my father worked weekends,

By no means a footballing hero, but I've been trying my entire life to volley a corner in from the edge of the box like Scholes used to.

Remember Mendieta scoring one for Valencia too.

Oh christ aye, the most perfect connection on it :aww:

Shearer. He's the reason is support this fucking team.

This, on both counts. I remember when I played football as a kid I used to smack the ball as hard as I fucking could and shot "Sheeeeaaaaarrreeerrr". :lol:

Still do that with chewing gum, spit it out and whenever you catch it sweet on the volley you give it a 'Shearer'. 

Shearer. He's the reason is support this fucking team.

This, on both counts. I remember when I played football as a kid I used to smack the ball as hard as I fucking could and shot "Sheeeeaaaaarrreeerrr". :lol:

Still do that with chewing gum, spit it out and whenever you catch it sweet on the volley you give it a 'Shearer'. 

I do that, except I say "header by Ramage...ROOOONEYYYY!"

http://www.nufcsingapore.com/supermac15.jpg

Same. What a player he was, rampaging through defences, unbelievably fast and powerful. That was exactly the time my dad gave in and started taking me to matches, I was so lucky to see all that because it wasn't on TV all the time like it is now. I can remember him giving Tony Dunne a 10 yard headstart and getting the ball 10 yards in front. That was like "Wow". And that goal against Burnley from Terry Hibbitt's pass in the FA Cup semi running 20 yards with Colin Waldron hanging off his neck. I couldn't believe that. Strong like bull. I actually don't care if he's an arrogant dick, he gets a pass on that because he made me love football. :blush:

Guest Howaythetoon

Andy Cole was outrageously clinical in front of goal for us and while he did perhaps become a better all-round player at Man Utd, he was never as exciting and as clinical for them as he was for us (same with Rooney). I remember Hoddle claiming he needed 5 chances to score a goal hence why he got little game time for England under him... yet for Newcastle if he got 5 chances, he would score 4 goals!

His actual game even for us, was of a very high standard. He was far more than a goalscorer. Mind he was very lucky to have Beardsley alongside him who even a clogger would do well alongside.

Cole helped bridge a racial divide as well which is often overlooked given the multi-cultural landscape of our game, club and indeed City these days. A black person become an overnight hero to man, women and child, whose name would be sang from the rooftops home and away. This only after a few years whereby most black players when visiting SJP would be subjected to dogs abuse. Incredible. But then so was he, his feats and indeed that era.

KK said he had real confidence issues away from the pitch and missed his home town massively. He also struggled with being the main man at Newcastle. You wouldn't think watching him play, with that swagger and perma-smile.

Those were the days like, as a fan and as a kid. For me anyway.

Will we ever see such a clinical striker for us again?

I once knew an old bloke who had pretty much seen it all for us, and he ranked Cole as the best finisher he had ever seen. He said Super Mac was the most exciting, Wor Jackie the quickest, Shearer the toughest, but Len White the best.

We've had some fucking great players play for us.

http://www.nufcsingapore.com/supermac15.jpg

Same. What a player he was, rampaging through defences, unbelievably fast and powerful. That was exactly the time my dad gave in and started taking me to matches, I was so lucky to see all that because it wasn't on TV all the time like it is now. I can remember him giving Tony Dunne a 10 yard headstart and getting the ball 10 yards in front. That was like "Wow". And that goal against Burnley from Terry Hibbitt's pass in the FA Cup semi running 20 yards with Colin Waldron hanging off his neck. I couldn't believe that. Strong like bull. I actually don't care if he's an arrogant dick, he gets a pass on that because he made me love football. :blush:

Ran the 100m on superstars fast enough to qualify for the olympics

Guest Howaythetoon
I actually don't care if he's an arrogant dick, he gets a pass on that because he made me love football. :blush:

That's why Cole gets a pass from me for singing along to the anti NUFC/KK songs the Man Utd fans were singing at Wembley.

Guest Howaythetoon

Mind, from the highlights alone, Supermac, for any Toon fan back then, must have been an absolute joy to behold.

Ran the 100m on superstars fast enough to qualify for the olympics

I remember it being 100 yards in the old money, and he could've made the relay squad. Built like a brick outhouse, like, I wouldn't have fancied him barrelling towards me. Ffs, his home debut v Liverpool, hat-trick, got his teeth knocked out by Ray cunting Clemence, carried off - no stretchers in those days - men were men and sly Argentinian divers were a futuristic dream. He was a "Fuck you" centre-forward and I'll always carry that with me. Thunderbolt of a shot too.

I actually don't care if he's an arrogant dick, he gets a pass on that because he made me love football. :blush:

That's why Cole gets a pass from me for singing along to the anti NUFC/KK songs the Man Utd fans were singing at Wembley.

Fair enough, different ages. I despise Cole for that, but... no, I still despise him. Treachery, biting the hand that fed him, all that. It was despicable behaviour. We weren't even playing them! No pass for him. Sorry, no.

Mind, from the highlights alone, Supermac, for any Toon fan back then, must have been an absolute joy to behold.

Yes, he was, did you see the goal at Bolton? That fuckwit Motson said it was lucky. Allardyce probably did too as it flashed past him. Arseholes. Imo obvz.

Glenn Hoddle. I always had a soft spot for Chrissy Hughton and Tony Galvin, but it could only ever be Glenn Hoddle. I idolized him as a kid, used to play imaginary games round my gran's and Hoddle always scored the winning goal.

Glenn Hoddle. I always had a soft spot for Chrissy Hughton and Tony Galvin, but it could only ever be Glenn Hoddle. I idolized him as a kid, used to play imaginary games round my gran's and Hoddle always scored the winning goal.

There was so much to like in the Tottenham teams that Hoddle graced. They always were iffy at the back but I rated Graham Roberts highly.Archibald and Crooks were lethal as a pair up front and Galvin's hard yards down the flanks created loads for them but it was the majesty of Hoddle that made him worth the entrance fee alone.I haven't seen an England midfielder with anywhere near his passing ability before or since.

Guest firetotheworks

The goal that I always tried to emulate was Pedro vs Villa 94/95. You can imagine how it turned out.