Newcastle Utd 0 - 0 West Ham Utd - 24/08/13 - post-match reaction from page 41

Neil

There was a number of people sat around me today who are season ticket holders and their views couldn't be any more different to the general consensus on here.

1) Shola is the in-form striker so has every right to be picked

2) Sissoko is garbage

3) Anita is not built enough for this league and should stop moaning about wanting first team football.

4) Sammy should get more game time

5) We have to trust Pardew's decisions, he sees the players every day in training.

6) Debuchy is terrible, Simpson was better

7) Marveaux should be nowhere near the first 11

8) West Ham are not better than us

9) Why are people booing? This was a good result.

Baffling.

Are the people around you wearing sunglasses and carrying white sticks..?

No wonder Ashley rubs his hands with glee.....the football knowledge of NUFC fans was legendary once - its becoming so again, but for a completely different reason..!

Watched the whole game ; a better side than WHU would have turned us over, they had more chances than we did but their passing from m/f was as bad as ours, if not worse...they could have caught us on the break a few times had their final ball been better and a better side than them will certainly do so.

The team were as toothless as ever, only real chance being Gouffran's snatched effort near the end from Sameobi's attempted cross which rebounded from the post after wrong-footing Jaskelaainen and even that was ballooned over - HBA kept battering away from a range which was unlikely to succeed but we failed to stretch them where it mattered.

West Ham's football was almost as bad as ours, which you would expect from an Allardyce team away from home, but Jarvis was always keeping Debuchy busy and gave him very little opportunity to support the attack until late in the game.

The whole team, with one or two exceptions(Colo, Anita & poss Mapou) are lacking in confidence, awareness of a plan and obviously de-motivated by the whole messy set-up at the club. The report from the guy at ESPN was spot-on - nothing has changed and Pardew is out of his depth.

Unless there are 3 points gained v Fulham we are in for a season of struggle.

Guest Haris Vuckic

There was a number of people sat around me today who are season ticket holders and their views couldn't be any more different to the general consensus on here.

1) Shola is the in-form striker so has every right to be picked

2) Sissoko is garbage

3) Anita is not built enough for this league and should stop moaning about wanting first team football.

4) Sammy should get more game time

5) We have to trust Pardew's decisions, he sees the players every day in training.

6) Debuchy is terrible, Simpson was better

7) Marveaux should be nowhere near the first 11

8) West Ham are not better than us

9) Why are people booing? This was a good result.

Baffling.

Are the people around you wearing sunglasses and carrying white sticks..?

No wonder Ashley rubs his hands with glee.....the football knowledge of NUFC fans was legendary once - its becoming so again, but for a completely different reason..!

Aye people on football forums are the real tactical intelligentsia.

Some of the slowest counter-attacking I've ever seen. A lot of hesitation. The players looks like they're in two minds as to what to do, which might suggest over-coaching rather than just letting them get on with their natural game.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Maybe they need to sign a striker...

Yep - the intelligentsia really are on forum boards....

Indeed.

Anyone of them could take to the dugout and do a better job than Pardew because his job is a piece of piss.

Indeed.

Anyone of them could take to the dugout and do a better job than Pardew because his job is a piece of p*ss.

Answer me this then if you would?

Cisse scored a variety of goals in his first few months at the club (wonder goals, tap-ins, headers, etc.), coinciding with us playing a straight forward 433 where by he had a lot of support in high areas of the pitch. What is so difficult about going back to that simple basic formation which brought us so much relative success in that season run-in?

Now Cisse is being branded "s***" and "not very good is he", while he gets shafted up front on his own, and expected to pull miracles out of his arse. What has changed? Was Ba on the left the KEY to the productive 433? Ryan Taylor's injuries?

How difficult is it for a manager to revert back to the formation (and in turn the game plan and mindset) that brought him and the club some semblance of relative success? Seems simple in my mind, but obviously you know different. Please enlighten me.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Indeed.

Anyone of them could take to the dugout and do a better job than Pardew because his job is a piece of p*ss.

Answer me this then if you would?

Cisse scored a variety of goals in his first few months at the club (wonder goals, tap-ins, headers, etc.), coinciding with us playing a straight forward 433 where by he had a lot of support in high areas of the pitch. What is so difficult about going back to that simple basic formation which brought us so much relative success in that season run-in?

Now Cisse is being branded "s***" and "not very good is he", while he gets shafted up front on his own, and expected to pull miracles out of his arse. What has changed? Was Ba on the left the KEY to the productive 433? Ryan Taylor's injuries?

How difficult is it for a manager to revert back to the formation (and in turn the game plan and mindset) that brought him and the club some semblance of relative success? Seems simple in my mind, but obviously you know different. Please enlighten me.

Why don't you apply for the job? Cisse hasn't had a shot on target in four games - Alan Pardew isn't shooting on his behalf - that sounds pretty shit to me.

You pick tactics and systems to suit the game - if we'd spent some money maybe people could worry about us but we haven't spent a single penny & we're devoid of ideas and inspiration.

Besides, a great man once said players win matches not tactics, which to an extent is true - but he only had the two european cups to polish...

First half just felt like a continuation of last season, had Carroll been fit they'd have been two up and I'd have gladly taken 0-0.  By the end I was disappointed that we hadn't turned the pressure into a win, it was so much better but sadly once again toothless.

Disappointed that Marveaux didn't contribute more and Wham did a good job of marginalising Ben Arfa who they knew was our biggest threat.

Positives for me were the full backs particularly Debuchy recovering from Monday's mare and the pairing of the excellent Anita with Cissoko looked better than anything we've had in there for a while.

Got to say considering the general mood, lack of clear opportunities and weather I thought the support for the team from the stands was excellent.

Guest Haris Vuckic

So in other words, you have no answer. Good enough reason to keep Pards in a job.

I gave you an answer. Why doesn't Pardew go back to a 433 is a stupid, irrelevant question. Just because a system gave us success in a couple of games 18 months ago doesn't mean it will now.

They wont back Pardew or sack him - it doesn't mean I can't afford myself some perspective rather than getting myself hysterical with every word he says like a lot of posters on here.

The problems come from Ashley downwards - if Pardew wasn't suitable for the clubs ambition - or lack of - why is he in a job? (the algorithm can get stuck in a loop here if you aren't careful)

So in other words, you have no answer. Good enough reason to keep Pards in a job.

I gave you an answer. Why doesn't Pardew go back to a 433 is a stupid, irrelevant question. Just because a system gave us success in a couple of games 18 months ago doesn't mean it will now.

They wont back Pardew or sack him - it doesn't mean I can't afford myself some perspective rather than getting myself hysterical with every word he says like a lot of posters on here.

The problems come from Ashley downwards - if Pardew wasn't suitable for the clubs ambition - or lack of - why is he in a job? (the algorithm can get stuck in a loop here if you aren't careful)

IMO it's not stupid or irrelevant to ask why something which brought success to a largely similar team or set of players, isn't being tried again. At home, and against teams like West Ham, we shouldn't be setting up to defend for fuck's sake. God forbid we go toe to toe against the colossus that is James Collins. We easily had the better individuals than they did. Playing with fear the way we did is criminal.

The devil is in the detail. Dropped points add up, and could see us fucked by the end of the season. I agree that the problem starts with Ashley, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't criticise Pardew just because we know he isn't getting sacked. If we're stuck with him, we might as well have the hope that he could see what is glaringly obvious, and try to remedy our situation as far as winning those "winnable" games.

Some of the slowest counter-attacking I've ever seen. A lot of hesitation. The players looks like they're in two minds as to what to do, which might suggest over-coaching rather than just letting them get on with their natural game.

interesting perspective

Guest Haris Vuckic

IMO it's not stupid or irrelevant to ask why something which brought success to a largely similar team or set of players, isn't being tried again. At home, and against teams like West Ham, we shouldn't be setting up to defend for f***'s sake. God forbid we go toe to toe against the colossus that is James Collins. We easily had the better individuals than they did. Playing with fear the way we did is criminal.

The devil is in the detail. Dropped points add up, and could see us f***ed by the end of the season. I agree that the problem starts with Ashley, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't criticise Pardew just because we know he isn't getting sacked. If we're stuck with him, we might as well have the hope that he could see what is glaringly obvious, and try to remedy our situation as far as winning those "winnable" games.

West Ham have a better squad than us - a better strike force & a better defence for a start & I suppose you probably think Allardyce is a better manager. I'd argue they are stronger in the centre of midfield too & from set pieces.

Is it really that easily winnable? Tactically - can you explain why a 433 would work against West Ham's system and which players you would choose to fill what roles?

It just seems like guesswork with no real foundation otherwise.

interesting perspective

Also ties in with what Dave posted earlier from .com about our players looking like they're coming off the end of a long season rather than being fresh for a new one. Absolutely spot on.

interesting perspective

Also ties in with what Dave posted earlier from .com about our players looking like they're coming off the end of a long season rather than being fresh for a new one. Absolutely spot on.

hm, but over-coaching in what respect?  if they were being heavily coached in counter-attacking you'd expect them to have more understanding...only thing makes sense is them playing a counter-attacking game but not being coached in how to do that, i'd put the hesitancy down to them being heavily coached in defensive aspects, when they set off on a run what's probably causing the indecision and deathly slow pace of the attacks is the players wondering about their defensive roles

thought this for a very long time tbh

perhaps i'm missing something though, don't see how over-coaching them in attacking/counter-attacking football would cause it to break down the way it does