Newcastle Utd 0 - 0 West Ham Utd - 24/08/13 - post-match reaction from page 41

Neil

At one point in the second half the commentator pointed out that a run by one of our midfielders was the first time any of them had been ahead of our forwards.

Lack of movement/not attacking in numbers is definitely our biggest problem. I remember Cisse wanting to take a throw in quickly early on in the game and there was nobody anywhere near him, with 3+ players stood on the halfway line. Clearly a coaching problem rather than personnel, too.

Movement off the ball especially in the center has been nonexistent for a long time with us. It's obviously something Pardew's unable to facilitate one way or the other. We were so static today as we approached the final third - there were so few options other than usually HBA but occasionally Sammy, Sissoko, or Debuchy bombing forward and trying to make something happen. It's gone on far too long for it to be merely an issue of personnel.

It's why I'm so indifferent about the transfer window - even if we bring in quality, we tend to coach it right out of players.

This.

Our best players were Debuchy and Anita, particularly 2nd half, first half was horrible....

Sissoko seemed to be very nervous on the ball, how has that happened from a player that was brim full of confidence less than 8 months ago??

It's a sad day when an Allardyce club outshines your own offensively.

The club looked much better when Cisse went off and Sammy and Gouffran came on.  There was a bit more pace and at least there were some chances to be had.

Shame we couldn't have stolen the win.  We'll need the points.

Guest bimpy474

Dont exactly see a lot of goals with Pardews footy like.

You saw four last week, stop being greedy.

Bimpy would rather we lost 4-3 than drew 0-0  :jesuswept:

No i would rather we won, which we could've as Wham were there for the taking. But Pardew doesn't do ambition does he. You can attack without being reckless, something that seems lost on some, maybe you with this question ?.

Yes our forwards were rubbish today which didn't help, but Pardew picking Shola and leaving him on for 90 minutes is his own fault. Going 4-3-3 would suit us so much better but will Pardew do it, will he fuck.

No i would rather we won, which we could've as Wham were there for the taking. But Pardew doesn't do ambition does he. You can attack without being reckless, something that seems lost on some, maybe you with this question ?.

Yes our forwards were rubbish today which didn't help, but Pardew picking Shola and leaving him on for 90 minutes is his own fault. Going 4-3-3 would suit us so much better but will Pardew do it, will he fuck.

Was only joking xx

I can't even bring myself to get annoyed about things anymore and certainly not individual players. Every single one has had their confidence drained on a daily basis and all their strengths coached out of them.

Guest bimpy474

Was only joking xx

Wasn't aimed at you mate, not really anyway. I dont understand the, reckless or ultra defensive and that's it. Surely there's a middle ground where we can do both. Maybe Remy and a bought striker  :laugh: might help that.

I can't even bring myself to get annoyed about things anymore and certainly not individual players. Every single one has had their confidence drained on a daily basis and all their strengths coached out of them.

Right and then we compare to clubs like Liverpool who have a manager with a philosophy and picks his side accordingly. We totally lack this every week we just throw 11 players on the pitch and hope for a miracle, it's a disgrace frankly.

Guest icemanblue

First half was pish, boring as fuck. No movement, at all, in the final third.  Canny frustrating when you have players like Hatem and Marveaux with time on the ball. Think Cisse made one run towards then end of the half, and Marveaux picked him out. Can't understand how it took that long.

Second half was better. We moved the ball around well in midfield. Didn't think Anita and Sissoko would form such a decent partnership, but it worked well. Could be even better as part of a three.

Disappointing lack of clear cut chances, but Gouffran should have done much better with his. Still don't think it would have been an unfair result if we'd won, to be honest. Please, please, please, sign a striker.

Good to have a clean sheet, although there were some very ropey moments like Nolan's free header. Anita showed Tiote how to play a simple effective game, not a pirouette in sight.

We are crying out for a striker to link between midfield and attack. Cisse & Shola were very poor and too far apart, meaning they were just giving away fouls while scrapping for the ball.

We are 1 point up on the same fixtures last season too. Clutching at straws I know!

I have no idea how Shola doesn't earn anything short of a 0 for his performance, if he'd have got a red card he'd have done us a favour as he wouldn't be conceding posession and free kicks up top so much

the only thing worse he could have done is score a few own goals but that assumes he could be bothered to amble near our goal and could fashion a finish past our own goalie

Pretty much where I stand.  I've never been this apathetic about football.

Shit in the first half, improved a bit in the second half but no cutting edge. Pardew makes himself sound like a maniac when he praises the performance. Every time West Ham had a set piece it cause havoc in our penalty area.

Nothing has changed from last season. If only I'd cancelled my season ticket last January when I had the chance.  :anguish:

Saw absolutely zilch of the game today but that's a predictably shite result.

I'm actually glad he went with two banks of four because it's what he's suited to as a manager. Even if it restrains the team in reaching its full potential, it can't be any worse than him dicking around with formations that leave us unbalanced, disorganised and idea-less. Glad to hear Anita and Sissoko looked decent together, would love to see them get a run in the team together - they're both so much better footballers than Tiote.

Astonished to hear Shola and Cisse played as two strikers as opposed to one strikeforce. :rolleyes: Can't understand why he didn't go with Gouffran - he's got great work-rate and operates the channels well. I don't think he'd be a bad foil for Cisse at all.

Oh well. Clean sheet and a better performance than City, I'm gathering. Painful that we're resorting to searching for incremental positives when the guy has been here for 100 games. He's got a lot of good players to work with and has been here long enough to have formulated an actual way of playing. More chopping and changing and square ones to come, though, no doubt.