Newcastle United vs. Leeds United - 25/09/13 @ 7.45pm (No TV)

Dave

Guest icemanblue

Absolutely essential we win and win well. Agree with Paully about the merits of a very strong team.

In what way is it essential that we win well, or even win?

You usually can't get to the next round if you don't win.

Top patter, man. Do you only go through if you 'win well', too?

:lol: you mad two clear distinctions in your post. Specifically whether it was essential that we win. I'd argue winning football matches is THE essential part of a football club, particularly in cup competition.

Other than going out of the competition, what other possible negative aspect makes it essential that we win? It's hardly the end of the world if we go out, is it?

Surely there's not going to be a meltdown on here if we actually do fail to progress? I mean it would be disappointing that we couldn't go through at home to Leeds but it's not the end of the world, Everton is a bigger game than tonight imo. Would hardly say a win tonight is essential or even winning well, personally just like the morecambe game i just hope we can progress into the next round in any fashion without any major injury impact.

Fucking hell man. We're playing Leeds at home and we haven't won a cup in ages. Looking to the next game and writing this one off has Pardew written all over it. Same with Inochi, god forbid we try and win. We might not so maybe we shouldn't try too hard and focus on the prem (in september). Baffling.

Surely there's not going to be a meltdown on here if we actually do fail to progress? I mean it would be disappointing that we couldn't go through at home to Leeds but it's not the end of the world, Everton is a bigger game than tonight imo. Would hardly say a win tonight is essential or even winning well, personally just like the morecambe game i just hope we can progress into the next round in any fashion without any major injury impact.

When was our last decent domestic cup run?

And? Doesn't mean it's essential to have a league cup run or even just a win tonight. Just in my opinion i'd rather be winning at Everton than tonight. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Pardew mixed the two squads together like he did with Morecambe, don't see the need to play full strength. If the B team fails to deliver again like it has in the past there would be no excuses this time for them especially with them being at home against a poorish side.

Absolutely essential we win and win well. Agree with Paully about the merits of a very strong team.

:lol: you mad two clear distinctions in your post. Specifically whether it was essential that we win. I'd argue winning football matches is THE essential part of a football club, particularly in cup competition.

Other than going out of the competition, what other possible negative aspect makes it essential that we win? It's hardly the end of the world if we go out, is it?

Hope you aren't doing the teamtalk. Though I suspect your man will say something similar.

Guest neesy111

Things that would be bad from losing tonight:

1) Pardew thread goes into over-drive with more pointless stats.

2) We let Leeds United win. :anguish:

3) Another defeat to lower league competition (to which there's been 0 so far this round).

f***ing hell man. We're playing Leeds at home and we haven't won a cup in ages. Looking to the next game and writing this one off has Pardew written all over it. Same with Inochi, god forbid we try and win. We might not so maybe we shouldn't try too hard and focus on the prem (in september). Baffling.

You need to chill out!!!

All the lads are saying is that they have no interest in seeing Newcastle win a cup competition. They're focusing on the desire to see the club finish somewhere around 8th-12th in the Prem because there's more money it in.

As if it's a direct choice between winning at Everton and winning tonight. How about we go for both? It's novel but it might just work! Start of the season, if the players are needing rests then we're fucked. Let's get some confidence and not get papped out another cup in an embarrassing defeat.

f***ing hell man. We're playing Leeds at home and we haven't won a cup in ages. Looking to the next game and writing this one off has Pardew written all over it. Same with Inochi, god forbid we try and win. We might not so maybe we shouldn't try too hard and focus on the prem (in september). Baffling.

You need to chill out!!!

All the lads are saying is that they have no interest in seeing Newcastle win a cup competition. They're focusing on the desire to see the club finish somewhere around 8th-12th in the Prem because there's more money it in.

12th :lol: yeah fuck an actual trophy.

Guest neesy111

It's more a fault of how football has allowed itself to become, than a fault of us specifically really. I would love to see us win a cup obviously, but mainly the FA. I can't really bring myself to care about the league cup, it has been devalued beyond help.

How has it been devalued?

The bigger teams take more of an interest in it nowadays than they did in the 90's.

Guest icemanblue

Hope you aren't doing the teamtalk. Though I suspect your man will say something similar.

Well, you've managed an actual sentence there, so that's something. However, my opinion on the Capital One Cup, and our participation in it, will have absolutely zero impact on how we actually do. As usual, I, along with most other fans, hope that we win and win well. But, it's by no means essential.

It's not just Newcastle, majority of teams are like this till they bumble their way to a decent stage. Looking at last night's teams probably Mackems and Norwich are the only two sides that went pretty much full strength from what i can see. The others have done a lot of resting. The league cup doesn't generate the same interest as the FA cup, managers generally field weaker teams until they find themselves at a decent stage. If they go out i bet they don't lose any sleep about it. I'm devastated year in year out when we go out of the FA cup, i absolutely love it, i just don’t have that same feeling for the league cup, nowhere near. It would be brilliant to end up at Wembley but it's not the end of the world if we suffer an early exit.

It's more a fault of how football has allowed itself to become, than a fault of us specifically really. I would love to see us win a cup obviously, but mainly the FA. I can't really bring myself to care about the league cup, it has been devalued beyond help.

How has it been devalued?

The bigger teams take more of an interest in it nowadays than they did in the 90's.

Do they? Seems to me like it means absolutely nothing to win the League Cup. Just my perception obviously.

But football is about winning things.  Everyone mocks us because it is so long since we won a trophy and no-one is going to look back and give out plaudits because we made x amount of revenue each year.

Players also want to win things so where is the motivation for them other than trying to secure a contract at a more ambitious club.

Just aiming for survival each year and hoping for a top 10 finish at best will create more apathy towards the club and hasten its downfall.

What is there to get excited about?  Hope we might be able to raise our game on occasion to beat the bigger clubs only to fail to beat a newly promoted club the next week. 

Players and supporters need to be allowed to dream and this club under Ashley seems determined to not even allow us that.

That's the spirit Brett, we shouldn't build our hopes up too high. After all, Leeds will want to win the game too, and if they do we should clap them off and cheer their fans back onto their coach for a safe trip home.

That's the spirit Brett, we shouldn't build our hopes up too high. After all, Leeds will want to win the game too, and if they do we should clap them off and cheer their fans back onto their coach for a safe trip home.

It's not just Newcastle, majority of teams are like this till they bumble their way to a decent stage. Looking at last night's teams probably Mackems and Norwich are the only two sides that went pretty much full strength from what i can see. The others have done a lot of resting. The league cup doesn't generate the same interest as the FA cup, managers generally field weaker teams until they find themselves at a decent stage. If they go out i bet they don't lose any sleep about it. I'm devastated year in year out when we go out of the FA cup, i absolutely love it, i just don’t have that same feeling for the league cup, nowhere near. It would be brilliant to end up at Wembley but it's not the end of the world if we suffer an early exit.

The above is basically how i feel about this cup. It's just an opinion, others feel strongly about this cup and will be devastated if we went out, i just have never been able to get that feeling for the league cup hence saying i'd rather win on Monday night than tonight if i had a choice.

I tend to agree that it's important that we win well tonight. Obviously a win puts us into the next round, but if we win well it'll boost confidence and hopefully mean the likes of Cisse can end his drought. It's also gives us some hope as well when a lot of us have none.

Guest Haris Vuckic

When was our last decent domestic cup run?

All the others are worthless.

This is being shown live on Al Jazeera Sport by the way for anyone who can get it.

Where you read this? Can't see it on the schedule on their streaming website.  :sad:

www.liveonsat.com

It's on:

Al Jazeera Sport +4

beIn Sport Max 10

TV2 Sport Premium 2

Btw, just a question but are we allowed to discuss Al Jazeera on here - as not technically an illegal stream - more a grey area?

I subscribed to it last month but difficulties occurred around access, that is not quite resolved yet