NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Supposedly West Brom are in for Jonny Evans as Man Utd are willing to sell.  Would he be suitable for us?  An experienced British centre half?  They keep saying they need to get more Brits in the team and other than Austin, I don't think we have been linked with any.

ManU want £10m according to media. No thanks!

Think that's a fair price tbh.

Just don't see him as a defender that would work well for us.

We need aggression and athleticism in our back line. Don't see that in him.

I reckon Evans is one of those Man Red players whose ability is elevated by those around him.  No better or worse than any other average Prem CB.  No upgrade on Taylor or Colo.

He'll go the way of O'Shea and Brown.

Exactly what I was thinking.

To echo the previous posts, these 2 plus a commanding CB and a pacey LW and I'd certainly panic less. After that we can look at buffing up the depth.

I'd love to think we'd just crack on as a reaction to years of shite but we won't be signing 5 or 6 new starters like.our defence won't look too different to last year imo.

I think ideally we need a LB as well.

If only we didn't give away an international left back and an international centre half last season.

I'm ok with Santon leaving IF we sign a quality LB.Cannot see us going for one though. Jetro Willems please!

If we signed too solid centre halves I'd be over the moon. Surely McClaren will f*** Williamson off, surely?

You would think so, but does he have an advantage of not being a cunt off the field, probably is a model pro and considered one of the veterans of the squad, I don't think McClaren will bomb him out but I do think he will drop down the pecking order even if we don't sign any other centre halves. I feel if Lescelles has a good pre season it will be him and Colo as our first choice pair. Someone mentioned Evans or Shawcross earlier and even though they wouldn't be ideal it would be a vast improvement on what we have. I am assuming Haidara and Dummett are our LB options this season. That defence as it stands worries me a lot.

It would be insane to go into next season without a major defensive overhaul. 2nd worst defensive record in the league and only 4 competent defenders on the books.

Still reckon it'll be colo and Taylor day 1 though.

McLaren has been coaching the defence himself hasn't he? He'll surely see that we are woefully short on class there and have a word with Carr and Thumbley about it.

McLaren has been coaching the defence himself hasn't he? He'll surely see that we are woefully short on class there and have a word with Carr and Thumbley about it.

And then what, exactly? Jamaal Lascelles will probably play alongside a 33 year old Coloccini, with Taylor and Williamson waiting in the wings. I don't care who the coach is, it's absolutely criminal that we've had to watch these 3 clowns play in the middle of defence for, what, 6 fucking years? :anguish:

It also tells you something that the first signing they bring in is a midfielder, when this travesty has gone on for so long. Can somebody tell me exactly what Carr does, then? Is he too dense to see we've needed an overhaul here many moons ago? Is he complicit or just completely ignored?

Don't know why people are so desperate to move Williamson on. We're desperately short at the back and I'd get shot of Taylor before Mike any day of the week. He's a very limited defender, but until we sign an improvement he needs to stay.

Plus I don't think think he's as horrific as some make out.

Is Lascalles actually good? Are we assuming he's automatic first choice? Is he quick?

Oddly I think if we do have a quick new CB and we are still stuck with Colo (which would be a travesty) at least I think a slightly more possession focused style would make Colo not look quite so hopeless as he has of late as left exposed less. Hope McClaren sees through Taylors crap straight away as well mind, he's no 3rd choice either.