The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Aye, I think Sherwood's an absolute wanker but it'll be far more interesting as a fan. Lambert's brand of football was an insomniac's dream - dull, insipid, risk-averse, dreary shite. At least they'll see a bit of action/excitement.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sherwood could be all hot air or there could be some real substance to him. He's no Pardew btw, he f***ing schooled Pardew when they thumped us 5-0 and he is far more adventurous and more of a risk taker. He is full of himself and he does seem quite the chancer, but good luck to him and Villa. Id far rather see him do well than some of the old skool lot who seem to be on a never ending managerial merry go round to nothing vile. Lambert will probably land a cushy job in the Championship or maybe even at another PL club because he took Norwich up, kept them up and then kept Villa up before being cruelly sacked because of misfiring strikers... He should never be allowed to manage again.

Aye, I think Sherwood's an absolute wanker but it'll be far more interesting as a fan. Lambert's brand of football was an insomniac's dream - dull, insipid, risk-averse, dreary shite. At least they'll see a bit of action/excitement.

He seems incredibly confident.

I am always in awe of people like that, whichever line of work they are in, people who are just so pumped with their view of their own ability.

I am the same age as him and spend most of my time undergoing a nascent mid-life crisis and thinking how I don't have half the confidence when I was 26 rather than 46, so I am extra respectful of people the same age who are the opposite.

Confidence alone won't be enough, but, despite the truly mind bogglingly shit performances of over two years (and I know I go on about them on here, but honestly, believe me, if anything, I've been understating things), there isn't a huge amount wrong with this team.

The squad is now pretty decent, there are decent players to choose from in most positions, and we can, when we try, do the basics quite well. We can also defend (our GD is about not scoring rather than not defending).

There isn't a huge amount wrong, and that is why people got so fucking annoyed with Lambert.

For about a year, we (the fans) have been saying "why the FUCK do we never get midfielders into the box? We'd find it much easier if we did", yet Lambert never seemed to spot it. Sherwood, it seems, saw it and had a word at half time, and lo and behold, we start to do it in the second half, and win.

It was like finally seeing something you've missed for years. Just the simple stuff being put right.

I am much more hopeful we can improve now.

I am always in awe of people like that, whichever line of work they are in, people who are just so pumped with their view of their own ability.

I am the same age as him and spend most of my time undergoing a nascent mid-life crisis and thinking how I don't have half the confidence when I was 26 rather than 46, so I am extra respectful of people the same age who are the opposite.

I am much more hopeful we can improve now.

I've stuck Guzan, Vlaar, Cissokho and Hutton in one of my FF teams, so I must agree. They're really cheap, like. :lol: Confidence is a proper mindfuck, it only works if you're thick. If you have any semblance of thought, you will - and should - question your self-belief. If you are stupid, you will just keep shouting. That's how it works and how the stupid selfish bastards get rich. I could link you to my company's website to show you an array of asinine twats, but arrays of those are freely available and will become more so leading up to the election.

You're not that old anyway, man. Fucking Thatcher was elected the week before I was allowed to vote. I was furious, and haven't stopped being furious ever since. I am furious. No, I really am. I could have stopped all this by being born a week earlier. Bastards. :rant:

What was interesting today (well, the second half) was that, for the first time in about 2 years, we got midfielders into the box.

I make no claim to know a huge amount about tactics, but that was a glaringly obvious problem Lambert had. Play two midfielders who are really the same player (Cleverley, Westwood), and another who is not hugely dissimilar (Delph) and have then stand next to each other in the middle of the pitch for 88 of the 90 minutes, making no attempt to get into the box.

Meanwhile Weimann and (when playing) Agbonlahor would get sucked back into midfield, leaving Benteke alone up front, in a different f***ing postcode, getting more and more frustrated.

Anyone watching that, though, who wonders why Villa fans have been unhappy needs to realise, that first half, that is what we have been watching EVERY MATCH at home for the last five years under Lambert and McLeish particularly, and Houllier a fair amount.

In fact, even when we finished sixth three times in a row under O'Neill, home matches were awful, as we didn't get to counter attack so just had zero idea what to do.

I doubt there's another club in the top flight for whom home matches have been so eye bleedingly horrific as ours for almost ten years.

Hello, I'm a Sunderland fan who was a season ticket holder for the reigns of Wilkinson, McCarthy, Bruce and now Poyet.

Pleased to meet you.

Edit: How could I forget O'Neill :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

Martinez needs a few seasons, if they get rid now it would be stupid. He overachieved last season and obviously isn't living up to the same high standards this season but this is no Pardew finishing 5th and almost relegation a year later stuff. Several players are simply not performing for a start.

His main problem is that his teams can't defend. Last season Everton still had Moyes' defensive influence engrained on them. Now he's had time to work with them for a long period of time that's completely gone.

People christened Martinez a brilliant manager way too quickly. One good season as a premier league manager

:thup:

His Wigan side got very lucky a few times in playing dead rubbers right at the end of the season to get out of trouble.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's not a brilliant manager, but he isn't a poor one either. He has achieved quite a lot on not a lot and his  General philosophy is bang on. He struggles to marry a sound defence to his attacking philosophies though and as a result his sides are either very hot or very cold, but that's what makes him interesting because the in between would be a Big Sam or a Hughes. Martinez will keep progressing and achieving. I'd have him here in a heart beat and Everton would be mad to get rid.