The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Brighton appoint Fabian Hurzeler / Ten Hag to stay at Man Utd

cp40

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

All jobs at that level are high risk, the difference between a Potter and the others is they had won stuff and were big names in management, of course they would still get big jobs. If you can’t see that the Chelsea job is high risk for any manager, then you’re blind. I’m not saying, by the way, him taking the job and failing will ruin his career, I’m just stating it’s a big risk on his part and a big risk for Chelsea too. He should 100% if offered, accept it, however. 

I think broadly speaking - a club that is consistently succesful like Chelsea is less high-risk than a club that aims to punch above its weight (Leicester, Villa, Everton etc.).

I take your point that Chelsea usually hire managers who have won things so they would get good jobs anyway - that is true. But you look at the managers they've had that haven't won things prior - Di Matteo, Lampard, Sarri - went on land to bigger jobs after Chelsea and all were fairly successful at Chelsea. You've typically had to be very bad at Chelsea not to win or come close to winning anything.

It's probably a bigger risk for Chelsea than it is Potter.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think broadly speaking - a club that is consistently succesful like Chelsea is less high-risk than a club that aims to punch above its weight (Leicester, Villa, Everton etc.).

I take your point that Chelsea usually hire managers who have won things so they would get good jobs anyway - that is true. But you look at the managers they've had that haven't won things prior - Di Matteo, Lampard, Sarri - went on land to bigger jobs after Chelsea and all were fairly successful at Chelsea. You've typically had to be very bad at Chelsea not to win or come close to winning anything.

It's probably a bigger risk for Chelsea than it is Potter.

I think you are arguing the same points I’m arguing, only you’re hung up on the risk terminology, it’s a risk to both, as was the NUFC job for Howe and us hiring Howe. I 100% agree he has to go there if offered because he will be working with top players at an elite level and even if he gets them into the CL or wins a cup, a future club like say Villa will think he’s got something about him, that’s what we want, so it can’t do his future career any real harm in that sense where he’d get another decent job, which he’d probably get even if he failed miserably like Moyes did at Man Utd.

But it’s a risk because if he does fail that will be the end of any future as an elite level manager at another top club. He basically has to do something more than just qualify for the CL and or win a cup at Chelsea and if he does that and inevitably gets sacked, he’ll be in contention for jobs at a Man Utd, a Liverpool. If he does a Moyes at Man Utd with them, it’s back to a Brighton the level for him.

We now how fickle the game is. If Howe in 2 years time hasn’t qualified us for Europe or won a cup, he won’t last long and will never get another high profile job like it. The stakes are even higher at Chelsea for a Potter. Good on him if he does go, it will be interesting and although I can’t stand Chelsea or their fans, I want all English or British managers to do well, because our game needs it.

34 minutes ago, Abacus said:

A year or so ago Rodgers would have been in genuine contention you'd think.

He must be cursing now. They wouldn't want his left leg.

Rodgers almost won the title with LFC, has won trophies at Celtic and an FA Cup with Leicester, finished 5th twice with them, took them far in Europe and has had a far more stellar career than Potter has, but is now damaged goods or will be overlooked for a job like Chelsea or Man Utd or Arsenal. That’s what I’m getting at when I say the game is so fickle, fans, clubs, owners. I reiterate, it’s a risky move for Potter (and Chelsea), but one worth taking if you’re Potter and one I can see unraveling fairly soon sadly for him unless he gets instant success. 

42 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think Cooper at Forest could be a contender for the early sack too, all that money spent and I can see their owner, who seems a character himself, getting itchy fingers!

Now he's someone I could see interested in the England job even though he's relatively young, just because he's worked in that setup before.

36 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

How long has this been in the works? Wonder if Chelsea’s reluctance to loan out or sell Pulisic, Gallagher, Broja, etc. can be attributed to their lack of commitment to Tuchel. Players were not in Tuchel’s plans, but another manager … who knows

I rate Tuchel, I mean look at what he’s won, but new owners tend to always want their own man in the end and he does seem a bit toxic or antagonistic with owners and players, I’m pretty sure most of Chelsea’s recent signings were not who he ideally wanted or would have preferred either. Obvious friction. They are a crazy club in terms of how much money they waste on players they tend not to give a chance to and how quick they are to get rid of a manager, but it’s worked for them, 15 managers in 15 years, but more trophies than that number.

It will stop working for them at some point, however, and they will need to allow a manager to have a disappointing season (as all clubs should do IMO), especially someone who has won something with them or shown prior success and pedigree. Look at us under Sir Bobby, we finished 5th which on the surface is a good season or should have been deemed that in an overall bigger picture type situation, but it wasn’t as good as the other season/s and then we start the next one poorly and sack him, we are only now just recovering from that. Lots of mitigating factors behind that of course… but still!

Again, it’s so fickle the whole sport, owners, managers, players and fans. Again look at Rodgers, fans are wanting him out, will Leicester rue that day like we did. I do hope we allow Howe, as a club, as owners, as fans and players, a bad spell where we don’t think right let’s get rid after a run of defeats, not finishing in x position as anticipated or following a season not as good as the one prior, because it happens with every manager and at every club, on different metrics of course. Chelsea finish in a CL spot but don’t win the league, spend huge, start poorly, then the man that won them the CL gets sacked 6 games into the season. Madness!

Edited by HTT II
i

Brighton are well run, have a decent squad and you’d imagine they will have pre-planned for Potter one day leaving so will no doubt appoint someone to carry on the good work they’ve done these last few years, or have someone competent in mind at least. 

Have no feelings towards Chelsea as a club but I really enjoy listening to Tuchel talk about football, seems effortlessly knowledgable and charming in a foreign language

Hope he's back in the Prem soon in another role at a more likeable club

How long was potter at Brighton? Wasn't aot of his success down to having a blue print at the club and buying players to fit into that? 

Shoving him in to Chelsea with a load of ego-tastic superstars screams disaster to me. Big risk when you've got someone like poch who imo is a better manager and can back that up with his history. 

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Have no feelings towards Chelsea as a club but I really enjoy listening to Tuchel talk about football, seems effortlessly knowledgable and charming in a foreign language

Hope he's back in the Prem soon in another role at a more likeable club

He comes across as a weird obsessive massively detailed type coach with some not so good man management skills or an indifference to that side of the game over the tactical, coaching side. It’s worked for him, again look at his CV, he’s a bit like Rafa in some ways, but he will need to sharpen those man management skills or gain some and maybe soften up a bit. I think Pep and Klopp have mastered that in total and that’s why they are the two best managers in the game and also the two best coaches.

Seen a load of tweets like this today:

Was there bad blood between them or something? I assume both would be delighted to work with each other again

Edited by joeyt

And without being hyperbolic, I think Howe has those qualities too, great coach, man manager, obsessive about detail and tactical stuff, but can put it all together. That’s skill, that’s special, that’s the difference between good, very good, and elite which Howe has in him. I’ve been so impressed with how defensively strong we are under him given it was his Achilles Heel at Bournemouth, how hard working on and off the ball we are, how tactical we are and how progressive we are becoming in attack. His man management is superb too and he handles the media and fans brilliantly as well. An-all round full package. A dream like manager you’d want managing your club. And he’s still just a baby in managerial terms. Again, we are very very lucky to have him. 

Edited by HTT II

Just now, gbandit said:

No way Tuchel goes to Villa

Probably not the calibre of club he'd be comfortable going to, but who knows, they have money and will spend it. He'd definitely have more control if that's what he's after.