The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

The concern for young British managers shouldn't be foreigners taking jobs but these proven British failures going round and round, boring everyone to death everywhere they go.

Absolutely. Dyche and Howe are two of the better known younger managers who have made a name for themselves, but I'll bet there are a few more in the lower leagues who would do better than either Moyes or Allardyce given the resources. The real problem is with the absolute lack of football knowledge in boardrooms. You just have to look at our club as a prime example.

I actually hope he does a decent job. Would just prove how nobody stood any chance of saving that lot last season.

Probably not but as far as Moyes goes he's done 3 awful jobs in a row since Everton.

That's not a coincidence, it's not just Sunderland.

Guest firetotheworks

I actually hope he does a decent job. Would just prove how nobody stood any chance of saving that lot last season.

Probably not but as far as Moyes goes he's done 3 awful jobs in a row since Everton.

False equivalence imo. Sunderland being absolutely shit and being certain relegation fodder doesn't mean that he's not a shit manager and vice versa.

Moyes:

He added: "I've managed five clubs since starting out nearly 20 years ago at Preston and then going to Everton. My period at Manchester United is well documented and I then did something I have always wanted to do by experiencing management abroad, with Real Sociedad.

"It's only been the last job where I feel it wasn't a good move and I didn't enjoy the experience. So I'm hungry to make sure I get things right now.

"I don't know any manager who hasn't gone through negative periods, especially in the game today. I hope it gives me great strength and understanding of what is required."

Ouch  :lol: :lol: 

Guest firetotheworks

False equivalence imo. Sunderland being absolutely shit and being certain relegation fodder doesn't mean that he's not a shit manager and vice versa.

True but look at the garbage managers that did keep them up with arguably worse squads

I don't think there's been a Sunderland squad anywhere near as bad as that in the Premier League aside from 02/03, and that went down with one of the lowest points totals ever. They completely stood still in terms of signings having just narrowly avoided relegation the season before. They were going down from day one imo.

I dunno, like. At least their 02/03 squad had Kevin Phillips, who was a proven PL striker.

This, on the other hand, is really bad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Sunderland_A.F.C._season#First-team_squad

Jon Stead, one goal in all competitions.  :lol:

How the f*** we ended 7th that season is ridiculous.

Viva Glenn Roeder.

Guest firetotheworks

I dunno, like. At least their 02/03 squad had Kevin Phillips, who was a proven PL striker.

This, on the other hand, is really bad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_Sunderland_A.F.C._season#First-team_squad

Jon Stead, one goal in all competitions.  :lol:

Also went down though. That does run it close, mind. Christ.

There can't have been a worse Sunderland team that stayed up, mind.

False equivalence imo. Sunderland being absolutely s*** and being certain relegation fodder doesn't mean that he's not a s*** manager and vice versa.

True but look at the garbage managers that did keep them up with arguably worse squads

I don't think there's been a Sunderland squad anywhere near as bad as that in the Premier League aside from 02/03, and that went down with one of the lowest points totals ever. They completely stood still in terms of signings having just narrowly avoided relegation the season before. They were going down from day one imo.

Was 05/06 not worse? They went down with 15 points that year.

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah true, what was the one that Poyet kept up like? I can't really remember it but weren't they playing connor wickham up front?

It had Johnson, Ki, Larsson and Borini. The likes of Brown, O'Shea, Cattermole etc hadn't achieved peak shitness yet either.

He was absolutely rubbish at Sociedad considering the squad he had at his disposal.

If you looked at the way he built his team at Everton, you would pretty much predict he would struggle with Spanish football. Like Allardyce, he's very much old school English football manager. Up and at 'em lads.

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah true, what was the one that Poyet kept up like? I can't really remember it but weren't they playing connor wickham up front?

It had Johnson, Ki, Larsson and Borini. The likes of Brown, O'Shea, Cattermole etc hadn't achieved peak shitness yet either.

Fair point. Have a look at those incoming transfers tho, I genuinely don’t think I’ve seen a worse list, it’s great

Glorious. I'm just pleased that there's a shittest Sunderland squad debate with plenty of competition for number 1. So pleased that they're finally fucking off for a while.

I have to say I do enjoy the spin on the official site (which I know is obvious):

"He proved with Everton that he has great qualities" - so.... four jobs ago.

"Moyes won the Community Shield at Wembley in August – becoming the first Manchester United manager ever to win a trophy in his first season in charge" - technically true, I guess.

And this belting final paragraph

"In November 2014, he took over at Real Sociedad for a year-long spell in Spain’s La Liga, leading the club to a famous win over Barcelona in January 2015, before returning to the Premier League in the summer of 2016 with Sunderland, where a difficult year ended in relegation last season."

That is some damn fine straw clutching. :lol: