NUFC Fans Forum - No interest in winning cups

Crumpy Gunt

Guest reefatoon

Aiming for top 10 is a bit s*** to be honest, I'd like a bit more ambition that than. We were 5th 2 years ago, we should have finished at least 8th last year with the team we had, and then been looking to improve. We have stagnated so much and other teams have caught up.

A top 6 finish or a cup win brings Europe. Another cup competition? not a chance.

Guest snoopythewriter
The cup competitions are not a priority for the club. They are used to be able to look at our squad as a whole. The focus is on a top ten league place because the financial rewards are so great.

So why not just drop out of all cup competitions and play matches against select XI teams behind closed doors?

We were told that we couldn't compete with Man. Utd.

It's not even a case of 'we can't compete with Man Utd. We're not even attempting to compete. We have a billionaire owner who, if he wanted to, could easily dip his hand into his XXL pockets and spend some money. We made fifth place with a not-exactly-world-class-squad. Could you imagine what we could do with some serious investment?

You know what, f*** this club. Three words sum up Newcastle United now: LACK OF AMBITION.

Remember the 3-2 win against Barcelona? Those days are long gone now.

The cup competitions are not a priority for the club. They are used to be able to look at our squad as a whole. The focus is on a top ten league place because the financial rewards are so great.

So why not just drop out of all cup competitions and play matches against select XI teams behind closed doors?

Sure people are overreacting at these comments like. They aren't saying they don't want to win one or they don't want to be in the cup. Just saying simply if they bomb out early it's not going to have an impact on them because they are more concerned for the PL. I'm sure most clubs feel exactly the same. As per we dive overboard.

None of this is a surprise to me, nor should it be to anyone else ; it has been clear for months now that there is an apathy and lack of ambition at the highest levels throughout the club and this will obviously impact the thinking of all employees, especially those involved in the playing side.

Brian Clough sacked the tea ladies at Derby when he first took over as manager because he heard them laughing about a Derby defeat the previous week-end. He wanted a win-at-all-costs mentality to be felt by ALL the club's employees because he felt anything else led to complacency.

For a club like Newcastle United, who were the FA Cup kings in the 1950s and whose history is inextricably linked to Cup football, the admission that only PL fixtures really matter(you could have fooled me after last season's fiasco) is a dampener on a large percentage of the supporters whose families brought them up on tales of great Cup runs. Even those we narrowly lost, like the LCF in 1976, stuck in our memories because of some of the great games and excitement we witnessed.

The worst part about this report for me is that Ashley is not actively trying to sell the club because as long as he is here, the club will be dragged down by thinking like this and the toleration of third-rate managers because they are prepared to fall in with Ashley's money making plans...which, apart from 2011/12, have yet to bear any fruit because our league position has been mediocre.

How anyone can be happy with this regime, who have allowed the Commercial side to deteriorate to only 13m p.a. is a mystery to me.

The club do not deserve 30,000 attendances, never mind 50,000...perhaps in time they will start to get the crowds their lack of ambition deserves.

Guest Roger Kint

Why do they charge us £20 to watch a game like tonights, when its not even in our priorities to win it

Because 26000(so far) will pay it and accept it without question? :lol:

Why do they charge us £20 to watch a game like tonights, when its not even in our priorities to win it

Had to agree price with Leeds and with them knowing they would sell out regardless, i doubt they accepted a lower price, at least this is what i thought happened.

Guest snoopythewriter

Sure people are overreacting at these comments like. They aren't saying they don't want to win one or they don't want to be in the cup. Just saying simply if they bomb out early it's not going to have an impact on them because they are more concerned for the PL. I'm sure most clubs feel exactly the same. As per we dive overboard.

They should choose their words more carefully then, or not say anything at all. Everything should be a priority. The attitude should be 'we should be going out there, every single game, and aiming to win absolutely everything'.

They should choose their words more carefully then, or not say anything at all. Everything should be a priority. The attitude should be 'we should be going out there, every single game, and aiming to win absolutely everything'.

I'm not sure it is fair to expect an upgraded accountant to show the bellicose bluster of a Victorian field general.

Guest Roger Kint

We haven't got a hope in hell of winning a cup with Pardew and Kinnear in charge anyway.

:lol: Because we were racking up trophies before they came in? We didnt look like winning one under KK either.

Be interesting to read the club's own take on it.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130923/fans-forum-returns_2281670_3468556

The Forum members met with the Club's management team to discuss areas which affect Magpies supporters, with full meeting minutes to be published here on Tuesday.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/Fans/FansForum/0,,10278~3462657,00.html

Coming Soon

:thup:

Why are people defending this? :lol:

Defending what? All I've seen is some countering the idea floated that it means we have 'No Interest Whatsoever In Winning Cups'.

Call it what you want, it's the same people instantly taking an opposing view to anything negative said about the regime and their puppet. "The thread title is a bit misleading isn't it? The haven't said they have NO interest, just that they don't really have much of an interest, or something. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE. They're just being honest!"

Guest icemanblue

I wasn't defending it, like. Just pointing out that I doubt that we'd intentionally put ourselves out of cups. It's shite, but is it really that surprising? Every day we have posters repeating our only ambition is to remain in the league, this just confirms it. Not a great deal we can do about it.

They also believed that the increased TV money this year would inflate the transfer market which is why they were prepared to bring forward their business to the last January window rather than this summer.

Isn't that extra TV money coming through at the end of this season? I'm sure people repeatedly stated that this summer in defence of our lack of spending. So next summer could be a problem too...

Even ignoring that, are they seriously suggesting that a) this January's activities had nothing to do with our perilous league position and form at the time and b) signing one senior player last summer was perfectly adequate?

Thread title is a bit misleading.

Aye.

"Sadly because of the way that Sky money controls football, cup competitions are not the priority of Premier League clubs" would be a lot more accurate.

"Newcastle director gives honest answer to question" could be another.

'Premier League is priority'

FFS man, any PL club would say the same.

A constant whinge on here is about lack of honesty from the club.

They get an honest answer - and a pretty obvious one - cue more whingeing.

You're into this football lark for all the wrong reasons.