NUFC Fans Forum - No interest in winning cups

Crumpy Gunt

They also believed that the increased TV money this year would inflate the transfer market which is why they were prepared to bring forward their business to the last January window rather than this summer.

Isn't that extra TV money coming through at the end of this season? I'm sure people repeatedly stated that this summer in defence of our lack of spending. So next summer could be a problem too...

Even ignoring that, are they seriously suggesting that a) this January's activities had nothing to do with our perilous league position and form at the time and b) signing one senior player last summer was perfectly adequate?

It's pointless disecting it imo as it's meant to be opaque and ultimately uninformative bollox.

The bottom line is that the club would like to stay out of the bottom 5 places as that brings about the threat of relegation which would be bad for the balance sheet.

As long as that's acheived not a single f**k will be given if we don't compete for or achieve anything else.

There is a will continue to be a complete absense of sporting ambition.

Why are people defending this? :lol:

Defending what? All I've seen is some countering the idea floated that it means we have 'No Interest Whatsoever In Winning Cups'.

Call it what you want, it's the same people instantly taking an opposing view to anything negative said about the regime and their puppet. "The thread title is a bit misleading isn't it? The haven't said they have NO interest, just that they don't really have much of an interest, or something. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE. They're just being honest!"

Yep

Defending what? All I've seen is some countering the idea floated that it means we have 'No Interest Whatsoever In Winning Cups'.

Call it what you want, it's the same people instantly taking an opposing view to anything negative said about the regime and their puppet. "The thread title is a bit misleading isn't it? The haven't said they have NO interest, just that they don't really have much of an interest, or something. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE. They're just being honest!"

Yep. Must be horrible to have backed yourself so far into a corner you just type a load of shit you don't even believe to save yourself.

Lot of twanging of knees going on.

All that appears to have been said is that the priority is the league. As it has always been, as it always will be, for every club.

We will go out tonight looking to beat Leeds and progress.

I disagree as the comment about "evaluating the squad" heavily implies that we won't be fielding a first team in these competitions.  It's not particularly news but the whole thing reads like a total lack of ambition and year on year mediocrity.

Yep

Nah.

There are things reported from the meeting that are a joke, the SD advertising excuse for instance, good luck finding an opposing view on that.

But it is absolute bollocks that cup competitions being lower down on our list of priorities than the league means we have no interest in winning a cup.

Is this really deserving of your outrage? Really?

A) I'd suggest it's the standard response you'd get from any clubs financial Director.

B) We did pretty well in a cup competition last year, taking it increasingly seriously.

C) Our captain and manager clearly want to win something in their careers.

D) We may use some squad players in earlier rounds, but I'd seriously doubt that when it comes to the crunch, because it's not our 'main priority' we'll just jack it off.

I'm not defending what Irving said (or the regime, or the puppet), just think the reaction to it is, again, stupidly over the top.

Guest icemanblue

Yep

Nah.

There are things reported from the meeting that are a joke, the SD advertising excuse for instance, good luck finding an opposing view on that.

But it is absolute bollocks that cup competitions being lower down on our list of priorities than the league means we have no interest in winning a cup.

A) I'd suggest it's the standard response you'd get from any clubs financial Director.

B) We did pretty well in a cup competition last year, taking it increasingly seriously.

C) Our captain and manager clearly want to win something in their careers.

D) We may use some squad players in earlier rounds, but I'd seriously doubt that when it comes to the crunch, because it's not our 'main priority' we'll just jack it off.

I'm not defending what Irving said (or the regime, or the puppet), just think the reaction to it is, again, stupidly over the top.

Ah man, that's a pure class post. I'm in tears here. Moving stuff. I'm off to the Ace Posts thread, but, before I go, I feel I must do this:

:clap: :thup: :clap: :thup: :clap: :thup: :clap: :thup: :clap: :thup: :clap: :thup: :clap: :thup: :clap: :thup: :clap: :thup:

We will play the unused first team players and the more interesting youth/reserve prospects, as we have done in every cup match for many, many seasons. It is not as if we are throwing out the u-18 team, most of the players will be highly paid and some internationals. If we manage to stumble our way to the quarter finals with this strategy, we will throw out the first team and treat it like the World Cup. This is the way most clubs in the Championship and above treat the League Cup. It is just the nature of things.

You are correct BottledDog.

:lol: You probably didn't even read it, man.

It doesn't just say that, that the cup competitions are just lower down our list of priotities, it says "the cup competitions are not a priority for the club. They are used to be able to look at our squad as a whole. The focus is on a top ten league place because the financial rewards are so great" :lol:

How anyone can even try to spin that to anything other than "no interest in winning the cups" is beyond me.

We will play the unused first team players and the more interesting youth/reserve prospects, as we have done in every cup match for many, many seasons. It is not as if we are throwing out the u-18 team, most of the players will be highly paid and some internationals. If we manage to stumble our way to the quarter finals with this strategy, we will throw out the first team and treat it like the World Cup. This is the way most clubs in the Championship and above treat the League Cup. It is just the nature of things.

What? 

You mean exactly the same as we have always done under previous regimes and managers and every club has done since the start of the Premier League ?  Surely not ?  I think it's only NUFC and the present regime who would admit that the league is priority.

It doesn't just say that, that the cup competitions are just lower down our list of priotities, it says "the cup competitions are not a priority for the club. They are used to be able to look at our squad as a whole. The focus is on a top ten league place because the financial rewards are so great" :lol:

How anyone can even try to spin that to anything other than "no interest in winning the cups" is beyond me.

Sorry, don't think they're mutually exclusive like. It's editorializing and, at best, an uncharitable interpretation. 

Appalling information, most of that.

Sad, sad state at the moment. The questions regarding Sports Direct need to be more direct next time.

Emailed their customer service to ask who would receive my money if I bought the strip, still no answer after three weeks.

It's obvious they're taking all the money from nufcdirect.com. The club HAS to communicate this.

Sorry, don't think they're mutually exclusive like. It's editorializing and, at best, an uncharitable interpretation.

And that would be a fantastic argument :thup:

People are actually defending what has been recorded though, which is fucking ludicrous.

Guest icemanblue

:thup: and that would be a fantastic argument.

People are actually defending what has been recorded though, which is fucking ludicrous.

Who is?

We haven't got a hope in hell of winning a cup with Pardew and Kinnear in charge anyway.

Both of them have got to cup finals with lesser teams. :dontknow:

When did Kinnear get to a Cup Final as a manager?

Got to both the league cup, and the FA cup finals with the Wombles iirc.

Edit: Wiki agrees, though that could be Kinnear up to his spouting shit trick again.