2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Only saw the berating of tylfselt. What's his face is fucking worse. The one that allowed lowely fucking LEEDS UNITED to dream as if they were nowt. The one that says and Rooney and Gerrard and Lampard. Devil incarnnate.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsGLQO3ew149RRJKtIKfh1d1PUJ9CXX_XB5-qvnZhE61Llbr7B-YqR7o-8

Good insight Garth.

Contact =/= foul

Still think the referee was told to ensure Brazil won that game and I think that will continue through the tournament. Maybe a bit paranoid obviously but there's a logic behind it that dovetails nicely with the current political situation too.

Hope I'm wrong btw. 

I hope you're wrong too. Didn't say many decisions which smacked of corruption tbh - wrong calls, yes. Based on that I'd say Brazil got lucky this time - not least because Croatia had useless Jelavic upfront rather than someone to convert some of the fantastic positions they got in, first half. They were excellent. Really deserved at least a point the poor blighters.

Playing 3 ball playing midfielders away to Brasil in an opening day WC game :smitten:

Be interesting (if a little sad for La Liga) to see how Rakitic gets on at Barça, hope he plays a lot.

Really impressed.

What would it take to see a decision that "smacked of corruption", other than a wrong call?

I suppose there's the Nigeria OG a couple of weeks ago like :lol:

Before our time but have a read of Argentina 6-0 Peru in '78.

Chiles, what an embarrassment.

Already decided i'm just going to watch the football and ignore all the coverage because of him :lol:

Anyone who voluntarily watches ITV before kick-off, at half time or at full time deserves everything they get and more.

:thup: I don't tend to watch ITV for football very often and this World Cup aside i'm going to try not to make a habit of it.

Playing 3 ball playing midfielders away to Brasil in an opening day WC game :smitten:

Be interesting (if a little sad for La Liga) to see how Rakitic gets on at Barça, hope he plays a lot.

I was looking forward to this because of that, what happened instead they sat back and let Brazil have possession which to me seemed pointless considering the strengths of the team.

In no way shape or form, should Gustavo and Paulinho see more of the ball than Modric and Rakitic.

What would it take to see a decision that "smacked of corruption", other than a wrong call?

With this result I think the suspicion is more because it's Brazil - the golden boys, host nation, money-making brand for FIFA.

If it had been England winning that way over Croatia it would have been attributed mainly to shit refereeing.

Football is a contact sport. He's allows to touch Fred. He doesn't infringe on Fred. Doesn't have a firm hold of the shirt, didn't pull him back. Just a horrible decision.

Reminded me of the MYM sending off for a similar "offence" on Suarez. The only difference is that he was running back trying to catch up to the diving fairy and his silky soft touch will have thrown the racist wildly off balance.

Already decided i'm just going to watch the football and ignore all the coverage because of him :lol:

Anyone who voluntarily watches ITV before kick-off, at half time or at full time deserves everything they get and more.

:thup: I don't tend to watch ITV for football very often and this World Cup aside i'm going to try not to make a habit of it.

I was looking forward to this because of that, what happened instead they sat back and let Brazil have possession which to me seemed pointless considering the strengths of the team.

In no way shape or form, should Gustavo and Paulinho see more of the ball than Modric and Rakitic.

I think saying they sat back is doing them a disservice like, two players aside Brazil beat them all over the field but when they got on the ball because of those two (and the widemen) they looked dangerous.

It'd be fantasyland to see Croatia go to Brazil and hog the ball.

That was mainly the failing of the Croatian defence.

Brazil like to press high which vacates a lot of space in the midfield. Which means playing Modric and Rakitic in there was a great idea as they should have had a lot of space to work with. Unfortunately the defence, when the did manage to win the ball, weren't finding them often enough or fast enough.

It was a good game plan, just not quite executed properly. 

Absolutely abhorrent decision not to put Cameroon v Mexico on tonight like. Gasping for more WC.

Is the first match usually alone on the first day? I can't recall.

Don't think so, but memory might be going.

As an aside, when Shola got the call-up for Nigeria, I forgot (until now) he'd be playing in Brazilian heat. This is gonna be brutal.

Would've liked to have seen Rakitic express himself more.

Thought all 3 of the Croatian midfield could have done, from a pure technical point of view they are more talented and could have easily made Brazil run around a lot more instead it was the Brazilian midfield which made them run around.

Absolutely abhorrent decision not to put Cameroon v Mexico on tonight like. Gasping for more WC.

Is the first match usually alone on the first day? I can't recall.

No idea but I'm sure I watched Germany and SA in daylight hours.

Think they might have started on a Sat though.

Before our time but have a read of Argentina 6-0 Peru in '78.

:thup: never seen that before. Absolutely ridiculous but given what we know about FIFA I would be amazed if some of these referees (and in turn FIFA) weren't bribed.

That game was a fix IMO, it was obvious at half time that it was a tight game that neither team would run away with.  The penalty decision was a disgrace but the decision to disallow Croatia a second goal was even worse.  The ref wasn't going to let Brazil lose or draw that game.  Was blatantly bent as fuck IMO.

While I agree they've for the measure of the two in central midfield. Trying to win the possession battle would've made Hulk, Oscar and Neymar extremely dangerous and the rest of the team wouldn't be able to cope although early in the second half they had a better midfield 'block' and controlled the tempo more without being gung-ho.

But I see the logic behind - sit deep and counter. Gustavo and Paulinho can't hurt us if they play in front of us. Let's bring them on then Luca and Ivan can spring fast counters - move the ball quickly, maybe even beat a CM and get on your bikes in support. In the first half for 20 minutes that worked a treat. Once settled (in hindsight) they should've tried to get more control like thy did early in the second.

Also both lads have been firmer in the tackle in many games this season and that unlocked the plan. Even then Pletikosa should've saved (all) the first goal.

I think saying they sat back is doing them a disservice like, two players aside Brazil beat them all over the field but when they got on the ball because of those two (and the widemen) they looked dangerous.

It'd be fantasyland to see Croatia go to Brazil and hog the ball.

Not saying hog the ball, but i do think the 3 they played had the ability to express themselves in an attacking sense more than they did.

Football is a contact sport. He's allows to touch Fred. He doesn't infringe on Fred. Doesn't have a firm hold of the shirt, didn't pull him back. Just a horrible decision.

It was a wrong decision but I can see why the ref gave it. From his position and angle it looks like first Fred got his left hand pulled and then he saw Lovren's hand on Fred's shoulder. Add to those the perfect dive from Fred and it does look like a pen from his position. Impossible to tell from his angle whether Fred really got pulled or threw himself to the ground. Nothing corrupt, just the way football sadly works now.