2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

^ That was the Iranian in me, we're among the most dramatic people on earth  :lol: . He appears to be a very emotional and unpredictable type of person and you never know they could do in one crazy moment, hence my suggestion. That aside, I wish I could have a sit down with his wife and see what actually goes through his mind. He probably bites her as well. now that's understandable. It's just bat s*** crazy. I mean, it's something you may do when you're in elementary school and then get punished and learn and never do it. I once bit a fellow school-mate at age of 15 during a fight I was being battered in (and that was the end of the fight, it worked)...got suspended from school for a few days and never ever got into a fight ever again in my life. I can't wrap my head around how an adult, watched by the whole world, can't grasp the same concept. Something isn't right in his head. Fine lines and all that.

What has astonished me in all this, is the country of Uruguay. I am bemused by them. Hearing they are blaming the world, media, Colombia, and Liverpool in their press ! If anyone has ever been to Uruguay here, would love to hear some insight about the culture there. They are challenging North Korea with their "Us against the world" mentality based on this debacle.

^ That was the Iranian in me, we're among the most dramatic people on earth  :lol: . He appears to be a very emotional and unpredictable type of person and you never know they could do in one crazy moment, hence my suggestion. That aside, I wish I could have a sit down with his wife and see what actually goes through his mind. He probably bites her as well. now that's understandable. It's just bat s*** crazy. I mean, it's something you may do when you're in elementary school and then get punished and learn and never do it. I once bit a fellow school-mate at age of 15 during a fight I was being battered in (and that was the end of the fight, it worked)...got suspended from school for a few days and never ever got into a fight ever again in my life. I can't wrap my head around how an adult, watched by the whole world, can't grasp the same concept. Something isn't right in his head. Fine lines and all that.

What has astonished me in all this, is the country of Uruguay. I am bemused by them. Hearing they are blaming the world, media, Colombia, and Liverpool in their press ! If anyone has ever been to Uruguay here, would love to hear some insight about the culture there. They are challenging North Korea with their "Us against the world" mentality based on this debacle.

They are bat shit crazy the Uruguayans. We had two play off qualifiers over there in 2001 and 2005. Both times thousands of them stood outside the Australian hotel, beeping horns and banging pots and pans, to make sure the Australians couldnt sleep. They then booed through our national anthem, hurled abuse at our players on the bus. Recoba then declared that Uruguay "have a divine right to play at the world cup" and that Australia are nobodies. :D

the peppe comparison is an interesting one, it wouldn't surprise me if the Uruguayan FA use it heavily in their appeal process if that's possible

i totally agree as well, headbutts and elbows (standing not jumping) should be treated exactly the same as biting and if they're crucifying suarez then they should have peppe on the cross next to him tbh

the peppe comparison is an interesting one, it wouldn't surprise me if the Uruguayan FA use it heavily in their appeal process if that's possible

i totally agree as well, headbutts and elbows (standing not jumping) should be treated exactly the same as biting and if they're crucifying suarez then they should have peppe on the cross next to him tbh

my problem with biting is that it has the potential to spread disease and infection. On that alone it is worse than head butting and elbowing.

my problem with biting is that it has the potential to spread disease and infection. On that alone it is worse than head butting and elbowing.

that's the most extreme outcome though lets be honest, an elbow could very easily result in damage to sight and the end of a career for example, headbutts similar if done properly

i'm saying treat them the same, they're all violent conduct that have nothing to do with making a challenge where damage can be accidental

You make a good point. It depends on the severity of the violent act. Suarez has left teeth marks, whilst Pepe has barely grazed heads.

it shouldn't depend on the severity of the act tbh, if you throw an elbow and get lucky by not seriously hurting someone you should get the same punishment as someone who succeeds with the intent of his elbow (or bite or whatever)

I think the ban should be closer to 12months of international football rather than hit at club level as well. 4 months of not going to a stadium is ridiculous, how about these people that cause all sorts of trouble and FIFA don't do shit about them in countries? The hooligans in Brazil and England, the Barra Bravas in Argentina etc. I think the punishment is to harsh in the sense that he's done it in the World Cup. He should be banned from it, the qualifiers and then the Copa America. That's enough, hits him where it probably hurts him the most, not being able to represent his country for 12months in two big tournaments.

I think it should be 6 months minimum. Who are the hooligans in England btw?

He forgets English clubs were banned ftom European football for 3 years because of hooliganism.

Or maybe he didn't know.  It was a long time ago[emoji106]

I don't know how Liverpool, Suarez or Uruguay have the audacity to complain about anything.  "I'm really mad with the bans I get when I bite people, they're disproportionate/too long/too far reaching"

Stop fucking doing it then!

"He wasn't playing for Liverpool at the time, why should they be punished?"

Pistorious wasn't competing for South Africa when he shot his lass either, it doesn't mean they have to let him out so it doesn't unfairly impact on their medal hopes.  Maybe if Liverpool had disciplined him internally for past indiscretions rather than throwing him a t-shirt party when he racially abused someone and blaming the media and the FA for his ban length last time he bit someone he might have been more inclined to learn his lesson?  Blame your player for doing something stupid enough in a global competition to get a world ban from football.

"But I'd rather be bitten in the shoulder than stamped on/elbowed/have my legs broken.  This incident here shows it's disproportionate"

I imagine many people would rather be spat on than take a yellow card challenge.  I imagine most people would rather someone pissed on their chest while denying the holocaust than have their leg broken with a clumsy foot in.  Funnily enough there's no precedent for what punishment you get when you sink your teeth into the third walking lunch of your career in the middle of a World Cup game.  Thanks to Suarez we now know the answer.

"It's just because of who he is!"

To an extent, yes. It might have been viewed slightly more sympathetically if it was a moment of out-of-character madness, but it's perfectly within character.  Followed by no contrite apology and pleas for forgiveness, but two fingers up at the game, "These things happen, the other player is a disgrace for making a meal of it, it's nothing."  Or do the media and FIFA pick on Suarez because they don't like his haircut, or his star sign? This is the media that awarded him Football Writer's Player Of The Season like three weeks ago, aye?  Maybe if there's a conspiracy against Suarez and Liverpool by those running the game he should stop doing stupid shit that makes it extremely easy for them to unfairly persecute him?

They are bat s*** crazy the Uruguayans. We had two play off qualifiers over there in 2001 and 2005. Both times thousands of them stood outside the Australian hotel, beeping horns and banging pots and pans, to make sure the Australians couldnt sleep. They then booed through our national anthem, hurled abuse at our players on the bus. Recoba then declared that Uruguay "have a divine right to play at the world cup" and that Australia are nobodies. :D

:lol:

Easy to see how Suarez is a nutter then and why his countrymen defend his actions

The fact he's done it 3 times suggests that he's got serious mental issues if he does that instinctively. He should probably see a therapist

Suarez visits a therapist to cure his teething problems.

http://i.imgur.com/L29X7Ie.jpg?1

I don't know how Liverpool, Suarez or Uruguay have the audacity to complain about anything.  "I'm really mad with the bans I get when I bite people, they're disproportionate/too long/too far reaching"

Stop fucking doing it then!

"He wasn't playing for Liverpool at the time, why should they be punished?"

Pistorious wasn't competing for South Africa when he shot his lass either, it doesn't mean they have to let him out so it doesn't unfairly impact on their medal hopes.  Maybe if Liverpool had disciplined him internally for past indiscretions rather than throwing him a t-shirt party when he racially abused someone and blaming the media and the FA for his ban length last time he bit someone he might have been more inclined to learn his lesson?  Blame your player for doing something stupid enough in a global competition to get a world ban from football.

"But I'd rather be bitten in the shoulder than stamped on/elbowed/have my legs broken.  This incident here shows it's disproportionate"

I imagine many people would rather be spat on than take a yellow card challenge.  I imagine most people would rather someone pissed on their chest while denying the holocaust than have their leg broken with a clumsy foot in.  Funnily enough there's no precedent for what punishment you get when you sink your teeth into the third walking lunch of your career in the middle of a World Cup game.  Thanks to Suarez we now know the answer.

"It's just because of who he is!"

To an extent, yes. It might have been viewed slightly more sympathetically if it was a moment of out-of-character madness, but it's perfectly within character.  Followed by no contrite apology and pleas for forgiveness, but two fingers up at the game, "These things happen, the other player is a disgrace for making a meal of it, it's nothing."  Or do the media and FIFA pick on Suarez because they don't like his haircut, or his star sign? This is the media that awarded him Football Writer's Player Of The Season like three weeks ago, aye?  Maybe if there's a conspiracy against Suarez and Liverpool by those running the game he should stop doing stupid shit that makes it extremely easy for them to unfairly persecute him?

:lol:

:thup:

As bad as it sounds, kicking, headbutting and elbows are a part of the game. The biting is perverse and disgusting.

Had he just leant his head into Chiellini or swung an elbow he might've got away with it or at worst pick up a 1 game ban.

:lol: what a load of shite

As bad as it sounds, kicking, headbutting and elbows are a part of the game. The biting is perverse and disgusting.

Had he just leant his head into Chiellini or swung an elbow he might've got away with it or at worst pick up a 1 game ban.

:lol: what a load of s****

Sorry but it happens all the time. Crappy ones at least. Zidane style headbutts are rare.

Elbows and headbutts are built into football games lol. 

Agreed, it's pointless pretending that these conventions don't exist. Certain physical contact is an escalation of the normal rough and tumble of a sport.

:lol: what a load of s****

Sorry but it happens all the time. Crappy ones at least. Zidane style headbutts are rare.

Elbows and headbutts are built into football games lol. 

Agreed, it's pointless pretending that these conventions don't exist. Certain physical contact is an escalation of the normal rough and tumble of a sport.

what about something like stamping on players then lads, is that built into the sport?  the initial point was that biting, elbows, eye-gouging or anything of it's kind are not things that happen during play (with the exception of a jumping elbow which will always be controversial) so why single out one of them? 

treat them all harshly it all goes away, or we could just let peppe keep headbutting people and so on

:lol: what a load of shite

I understand what he's saying.  Bad tackles, elbows and head contact are illegal over-extentions of the normal contact within the game.  Not that they aren't serious, but there's a gradient line going from a clean tackle, a free kick tackle, a card tackle, a red card tackle and an absolutely horrific tackle.  The latter is not in any way acceptable, but it's a football foul, a kind of misconduct you may see on the football pitch.

Imagine a hockey game where someone suddenly decides to launch a sliding tackle at someone running through on goal.  That's going to get them one hell of a ban, isn't it?  Even if it's not as bad as someone swinging a hockey stick and smacking you in the legs.  And if you tripped someone up on the football pitch with a stick, you'd get a hell of a ban even if you did less damage than a robust tackle.

Likewisef you go in two footed on your opponent during the Olympic table tennis semi-final.  Smashing the ball at your opponents face might be seen as a minor infraction however, while if you picked up a ball you found on the pitch and stotted it off an opponent's head you'd probably get a ban, even though most people would take balls to the face all day rather than a reckless challenge.

what about eye-gouging in rugby, how do they view that, as part of the game?

As an illegal offense that shouldn't happen, but does happen in rugby because you grapple with your opponent and there's the possibility of going too far in that respect.  Considered serious in rugby, probably considered much more serious in cricket.  There's clear rules for punishments for eye-gouging in the code of rugby, so even though it's an illegal act it's part of the sport in that respect.

Players will get elbowed going in for a challenge, players will wind each other up and stick a head in, they'll kick out in frustration. It happens and they'll be banned accordingly. If they go overboard they'll be banned for longer, ie Ben Thatcher. Biting people is a different matter altogether.