2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I remember Michael Owen falling over an outstretched foot against Argentina in 02. And there's little difference between that incident and today's.  Both were pens. Both left slightly unsavoury tastes for the over dramatising.

The thing is, Robbens foot doesn't get stuck or anything, he actually throws himself with a slight touch on his toes. We might as well blow every contact then. Robben THROWS himself, he doesn't fall or over exaggerate. I'm a big defender of over exaggerating, but there's a difference between that and falling on purpose.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLJewjcJ3du04a9q2a71ziOlzbvZYuPevkIMFKUJiSdzdrDZrU

Lovrens left arm, holds his shoulder. Check the moving images again. There's barely any contact, but I don't see how Robben gets away with it for you but not Fred.

He never grabs his arm, this is a still from when Fred is beginning his slow motion dive. Having your arm on top of someone else's arm will never be a penalty. The only contact is his hand lightly on his clavicle.

Greece don;'t even attack. They just hold the ball until they lose it and settle back.

Guest bimpy474

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Tz9Pt296LQmxCi10fN5njQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTQyMTtweG9mZj01MDtweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz03NDk-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/Sports/AP_Soccer/201406291259467542712-p5.jpg

Not a foul :lol:

That picture means nothing, look at the moving pictures ffs. Any single image can look worse or better.

I have looked at the moving pictures. Marquez is nowhere near the ball and his only intention is to stop Robben skipping past him.

I couldn't care less what Marquez was up to, Robben threw himself to the floor, he wasn't knocked or nudged, he threw himself over a leg. Threw as in dive, as in cheat.

Ok lets just never have penalties awarded again

Yes because that's exactly what i was saying wasn't it. Twit.

Twit :lol: Refs don't give penalties unless somebody falls to the floor so if players took your advice there would never be penalties

The Robben one before was a penalty and the one for 'West Ham was it ?', Taylor getting impeded by Sagna i think, was a penalty. You judge each incident on it's merits, a player doesn't have to knocked down (Taylor) for a penalty to be given, but the contact has to be enough for a ref to give it.

Diving is what i'm talking about, and Robben dived, the slight contact didn't warrant the reaction and wasn't enough for a foul imo...if that does then nearly every contact on a pitch will warrant the same decision, it's ludicrous.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLJewjcJ3du04a9q2a71ziOlzbvZYuPevkIMFKUJiSdzdrDZrU

Lovrens left arm, holds his shoulder. Check the moving images again. There's barely any contact, but I don't see how Robben gets away with it for you but not Fred.

He never grabs his arm, this is a still from when Fred is beginning his slow motion dive. Having your arm on top of someone else's arm will never be a penalty. The only contact is his hand lightly on his clavicle.

Greece don;'t even attack. They just hold the ball until they lose it and settle back.

Watch the moving images, he puts his hand on his shoulder and pulls a bit (you can see the shirt movement if you watch it in slow-motion). It's never a pen in a million years, just like todays isn't.

Guest firetotheworks

Fwiw, the most embarrassing and yet successful diver I've ever seen is Jonas. Utter cartoon capers, he should be embarrassed.

Guest bimpy474

I do think there should be more incidental allowed (or that it should at least be more consistent), but missing the ball and contacting someone's leg when they are trying to dribble past you is foul, regardless, and this was a penalty.

Simple as that really.

Well then don't tell me Fred didn't earn that penalty. He got a slight pull on his shoulder and fell, defender didn't even go for the ball.

Not comparable imho although I can see why you are desperate to make it seem so. A slight tug on the shoulder/shirt happens hundreds of times in any given match, on both sides. An incident like this doesn't. Had Marquez not touched Robben he would have had a very good chance at a shot or pass (yeah right) to somebody in a better position.

Eh ? players slightly catching players happens over and over and over in every single game, it's up to the ref to decide if the contact warrants a free kick. Or if a player has dived as Robben does on a million occasions. It's a contact game ffs, not a tarts paradise of luvvie acting school.

Out of interest, and obviously inconsequential with regards to the later shenigans, but did you think the incident in the first half was a penalty?

Absolutely, twice in fact. The first contact was hard to spot because the ball hit Robben on the back of the foot after being fouled by the chasing player making it look like the defender got the ball, but Marquez then cleaned Robben out, nailed on pen and the clearest one of the whole tournament.

Guest bimpy474

Fwiw, the most embarrassing and yet successful diver I've ever seen is Jonas. Utter cartoon capers, he should be embarrassed.

His fall backwards as if he's been pulled over :lol:

We can discuss until the cows come home, but ultimately I do think it was a foul and to be denied two possible penalties today when we have conceded two extremely soft ones before (Diego Costa step on De Vrij, Janmaat handling the ball shot from a couple of yards out to his dangling hand while in motion) would have left a sour taste in my mouth if it meant we would have gone out. :p

I do think there should be more incidental allowed (or that it should at least be more consistent), but missing the ball and contacting someone's leg when they are trying to dribble past you is foul, regardless, and this was a penalty.

Simple as that really.

Well then don't tell me Fred didn't earn that penalty. He got a slight pull on his shoulder and fell, defender didn't even go for the ball.

Not comparable imho although I can see why you are desperate to make it seem so. A slight tug on the shoulder/shirt happens hundreds of times in any given match, on both sides. An incident like this doesn't. Had Marquez not touched Robben he would have had a very good chance at a shot or pass (yeah right) to somebody in a better position.

Eh ? players slightly catching players happens over and over and over in every single game, it's up to the ref to decide if the contact warrants a free kick. Or if a player has dived as Robben does on a million occasions. It's a contact game ffs, not a tarts paradise of luvvie acting school.

Out of interest, and obviously inconsequential with regards to the later shenigans, but did you think the incident in the first half was a penalty?

Absolutely, twice in fact. The first contact was hard to spot because the ball hit Robben on the back of the foot after being fouled by the chasing player making it look like the defender got the ball, but Marquez then cleaned Robben out, nailed on pen and the clearest one of the whole tournament.

:thup:

:lol: Robben flew into the air because of minimal contact. It was rewarded because the sport is f***ed.

If I am driving the basket and you smack my arm, it is a foul. The fact that the ref won't call it unless I yell "ahhh" and flail a hand isn't my fault.

Its more along the lines of is it a foul if I touched your arm after you released the shot, imo.