2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Haris Vuckic

Gonna be the best Saturday ever. Doubt I'll make it past game 2 without getting smashed on caipirinha.

Calm down Manuel!

Guest Roger Kint

Also, don't other WCs have 2 games on the opening day? It would've been better like that this time.

The last two definately did, cant remember further back mind

I managed to get tickets for the four games in Curitiba so I'll have the pleasure of watching Iran v Nigeria, Australia v Spain, Algeria v Russia and Honduras v Ecuador. I'm really looking forward to it, so hopefully they manage to get the stadium finished by February. I'll be out in Brazil from January so will have the chance to go to local games featuring Parana, Atletico PR and Coritiba. I did see the violence, but speaking to some people in Brazil it seems like a culmination of different factors. Limited/no police inside the stadium in a relegation decider might just about do it like!

I managed to get tickets for the four games in Curitiba so I'll have the pleasure of watching Iran v Nigeria, Australia v Spain, Algeria v Russia and Honduras v Ecuador. I'm really looking forward to it, so hopefully they manage to get the stadium finished by February. I'll be out in Brazil from January so will have the chance to go to local games featuring Parana, Atletico PR and Coritiba. I did see the violence, but speaking to some people in Brazil it seems like a culmination of different factors. Limited/no police inside the stadium in a relegation decider might just about do it like!

:thup: Great to hear about you having the same faith as me in terms of tickets. It's all group games being played in Curitiba I suppose? Hope Iran doesn't disappoint us.

As for the relegation decider, it was just unbelievably stupid organized. Like you said, no police inside, and only three security stewards in each side of the Vasco fans? Atletico PR were also playing a crucial game for Libertadores football.

am I the only one that was actually looking forward to a 2am KO for the italy game ?

I was, although the pubs probably weren't :lol:

Midnight kick off won't go much better. If anything, it'll only increase the number of people out as it won't be seen as "too late". It's going to be total carnage.

Also, don't other WCs have 2 games on the opening day? It would've been better like that this time.

The last two definately did, cant remember further back mind

Pretty sure 2002 only had France-Senegal on the opening day. Was a laugh though

Bernard - Brazil

Balanta - Colombia

Rodriguez - Switzerland

Are three players that I've been extremely impressed with the little I've seen from them (Bernard excl.). Rodriguez was excellent against Brazil and caught a game for Wolfsburg where he scored a nice free-kick.

Trying to think of others right now but none springs to mind.

Rodriguez scored today again. Scored twice now in a couple of weeks. Love the interest the World Cup brings to watch other leagues. Watching Wolfsburg - Stuttgart because of Rodriguez and also Luiz Gustavo. :lol:

:thup: Great to hear about you having the same faith as me in terms of tickets. It's all group games being played in Curitiba I suppose? Hope Iran doesn't disappoint us.

As for the relegation decider, it was just unbelievably stupid organized. Like you said, no police inside, and only three security stewards in each side of the Vasco fans? Atletico PR were also playing a crucial game for Libertadores football.

Aye I just think its the World Cup in Brazil, if I'm watching Iran - Nigeria I'm still there and there could be some mint games. All group games in Curitiba so it was going to be quite open. I will also have Spain based in Curitiba so might be able to watch some of the training if its relatively open as will be doing work at the same training ground with Atletico PR. I'm looking forward to going to some local games as well, completely different atmosphere to enjoy.

One of my friends is from Belo and he was asking about England fans as they play a game there. Its really hard because you get the regular fan to enjoy a game then you get idiots who go to games as well. I hope they manage to support the team without any incidents!

I'm a bit shocked that Simunic is still playing anyway tbh.

Oh well, deserved. c***.

I think that punishment is way too harsh... He can't even speak Croatian properly (being born in Australia and spending most of his life outside Croatia) let alone deliberately discriminate people with some strange popular fan's chant.

And even the chant has such ambigious meaning... Anyway, that was one of the stupidest ways of finishing your international career.

A strike over safety conditions following a fatal accident has halted already-overdue construction of the Manaus stadium where England are due to play their opening World Cup match.

After the death of two workers last week, the builders' union have downed tools, saying the rush to finish the job before the year-end deadline is putting lives at risk. "The rating for safety in the building site is zero … and we're under constant pressure to work," the builder José Aristoteles de Souza Filho told the Brazilian news website G1.

The strike is the latest setback for the Arena da Amazônia, which is among several World Cup venues that are behind schedule. At the weekend, a court ordered the suspension of work on the roof of the basket-shaped stadium after a worker, fell 35 metres to his death on Saturday. Marcleudo de Melo Ferreira died after his cable snapped in the early hours at the end of a night shift.

The previous weekend, the Guardian saw frenetic activity at the site where almost 2,000 workers are working around the clock to finish the task of installing the giant steel girders that make up the lattice structure. It was said at the time to be only 95% complete.

Locals said the task had been delayed by the late arrival of the steel, which has had to be shipped from Portugal to the heart of the Amazon.

Another worker died of a heart attack on Saturday that the bereaved family claim was induced by stress. It was the third fatality this year at the site.

During the court case on Saturday, prosecutors called for the $200m project to be halted until an updated safety report is produced by the construction firm Andrade Gutierrez. In a warning that the contractors could also be fined, the prosecutors office noted in a statement that it "cannot allow the urgency of finishing construction for the 2014 World Cup to be at the cost of the life and wellbeing of those working on it".

Andrade Gutierrez has sent investigators to the site and issued a statement of regret. "We reiterate our commitment to [ensuring the] security of everyone working at the site," the company said in a statement.

Fifa has also expressed condolences for the death, which is likely to add to criticisms that the economic and human cost of the World Cup is excessive. At least five workers have died so far. Most of the fatalities have come in the past few weeks as the pressure to finish on time increased.

Last month, two workers were killed in São Paulo when a crane collapsed at the Corinthians Arena, which is scheduled to host the opening game of the World Cup. Officials say the venue will not be ready until April, barely two months before the tournament starts.

Manaus officials said there were unsure when work will recommence on the Arena da Amazônia. But it now looks certain to drag on well into the new year.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/17/world-cup-stadium-manaus-zero-safety-builders-arena-amazonia?CMP=twt_gu

Oh well, deserved. c***.

I think that punishment is way too harsh... He can't even speak Croatian properly (being born in Australia and spending most of his life outside Croatia) let alone deliberately discriminate people with some strange popular fan's chant.

And even the chant has such ambigious meaning... Anyway, that was one of the stupidest ways of finishing your international career.

Wasn't the chant used by the fascist movement in WW2 that played their part in sending many Jews, Serbs and Romans to their deaths? Doesn't sound like the kind of thing that should be still used as a football chant whether by fans or players.

Oh well, deserved. c***.

Wasn't the chant used by the fascist movement in WW2 that played their part in sending many Jews, Serbs and Romans to their deaths? Doesn't sound like the kind of thing that should be still used as a football chant whether by fans or players.

I was actually curious as well cos I heard so many theories so I checked on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Za_dom_spremni

they explanied it good I think and there you can see multiple origins of that phrase...

but regardless of that, Šimunić knew that most people don't like that chant but he used it mostly because he believes its not a fascist chant...

Anyway, I was shocked he did say it and I was shocked by the severity of his punishment as well...

Might be giggs but spray cans consisting of white colour will be used by refs at the World Cup for measuring the walls distance in free-kicks and preventing cheating. I like the idea, been used in Brazil for many years and does really work.

Might be giggs but spray cans consisting of white colour will be used by refs at the World Cup for measuring the walls distance in free-kicks and preventing cheating. I like the idea, been used in Brazil for many years and does really work.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/referees-set-to-use-vanishing-spray-at-2014-world-cup-says-fifa-121913

jjjjjeaaaaahhhh

Literally the only redeeming feature of the MLS!

No longer will I have to subject myself to the torture of watching Major League Soccer to get my vanishing spray fix. Thank you FIFA. Thank you Sepp :smitten: