Watching fútbol on the continent

Tooj

Just been to see Hertha Berlin come from behind to beat Mainz and I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. Totally fallen in love with the team, beautiful ground and amazing people. 

:thup:

I'm glad you had a good time! I've never seen Hertha come back from behind, ever.

Must admit I was concerned when they went a goal down. Great comeback though.

As an aside, Berlin is a beautiful city and I'd move here in a heartbeat. Totally my sort of place. I hadn't realised the marathon was today as well so caught some of that in a few different areas including towards the end up towards the Brandenburg Gate. :aww:

Aye, it's a good city. Friendly, laid-back, interesting, easy to move around in, relatively inexpensive, 24-hour licensing, very cosmopolitan, and absolutely stacks going on. Not great for football, though.

Where have you been staying?

Near Rosenthaler Platz U-Bahn. Been getting all over though and here until Wednesday morning so still plenty time to see everything. Feel free to buy me a bier if you see me around. :D

Cool :thup: stayed near Alexander Platz when we were there. Really enjoyed the Hertha match day I must say.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Berlin is awesome. I didn't go to a game sadly, it was an international break and the germany match was on the day after I left. They drew 4-4 with Sweden, gutted is not the word. :lol:

Watched Barca-Milan in the Joan Gamper Trophy game, mind blowing that they sold out the Nou Camp for a Friendly.

Not really. We sold 50k for a testimonial and Barcelona as a city is probably more than 10x the size of Newcastle.

Not really, Barcelona isn't that big. Newcastle would need to be some hamlet if Barcelona were 10 times the size of it.

The Gamper trophy usually sells pretty well when it's played before the season starts (not always possible due to nowadays congested schedules and shitty preseason tours), since then it's the first home game of the season and thus the first time people can see the new signings live, etc...

I used to go a lot myself as a kid, since then we didn't get every single preseason friendly on the telly and it really was the first time you could see the team. That's the reason why preseason trophies used to be so huge in Spain before the 1990s.

Watched Barca-Milan in the Joan Gamper Trophy game, mind blowing that they sold out the Nou Camp for a Friendly.

Not really. We sold 50k for a testimonial and Barcelona as a city is probably more than 10x the size of Newcastle.

Not really, Barcelona isn't that big. Newcastle would need to be some hamlet if Barcelona were 10 times the size of it.

Population wise 1.6 million v 279,000, only 5 times the size..

See, I was right. Hum. Sorta.

Had Newcastle for a bigger city for some reason. It looks bigger in Geordie Shore. :D

See, I was right. Hum. Sorta.

Had Newcastle for a bigger city for some reason. It looks bigger in Geordie Shore. :D

It's bigger than that. That's the population figure for Newcastle proper. The population of Tyneside, a contiguous urban area on both sides of the river including Gateshead and the places you'll have seen on Geordie Shore, is more like 880,000.

The region has a population of more like 1.6 million, though that includes Sunderland. But then the urban area of Barcelona, according to wiki, is 4.5 million – "the sixth-most populous urban area in the European Union after Paris, London, the Ruhr, Madrid and Milan."

• 2 weeks later...

Think I'm going to a Union Berlin match in April. :D

Traitor. :pilko:

.. kidding. I'm definitely getting back to another match in Berlin, hopefully another Hertha BSC game but I'd give Union a go if that's how it worked out best value for a trip.