Watching fútbol on the continent

Tooj

Done 3 malaga games while on hol in benalmadena. Always much cheaper than the EPL. Loads of ex pats go. Went to Barcelona v villareal last season. €55 up in the gods. Poor atmosphere. Probably like the way SJP is quieter v the so called unfashionable sides. Had a look at espanyols ground but didn't see a game unfortunately.  Looks a decent new stadium though.

Done 3 malaga games while on hol in benalmadena. Always much cheaper than the EPL. Loads of ex pats go. Went to Barcelona v villareal last season. €55 up in the gods. Poor atmosphere. Probably like the way SJP is quieter v the so called unfashionable sides. Had a look at espanyols ground but didn't see a game unfortunately.  Looks a decent new stadium though.

been a few things in the press about that recently, they even have their own malaga supporters club. similar goes on at mallorca.

If in the Czech Republic, Viktoria Zhizkov seemed to be the St Pauli of Prague.

I was there in May this year (they played against Bohemians - city rival), family atmosphere, stadium is not far from city center,  and food at half time near stadium is nice. :)

So that's 3 of us have been there then :lol: which is weird considering they're pretty shit.

We were there when they were in the Gambrinus Liga (top tier), strange little ground and a wonky-donkey pitch.

Good time though.

Thought it was Zizkov (but could be wrong)

I liked Vásás in Budapest. Friendly place with terraces full of drunken trade unionists, and a bar behind one of the goals where, surprisingly, you can just wander in, sit down at a table by the window, and watch the game with a beer and a chicken sandwich. Not many of the regular fans go in there for some reason. Saw them beat (surprisingly) Werder Bremen one time in the Intertwobob, and the guy on the next table was the chairman of the club. Only him and us in there. Weird.

I live in Berlin but have no affection at all for Hertha. Used to go to matches reasonably often but have stopped bothering in recent years. FC Union is a bit more fun. If football is the primary purpose, probably better to go to just about any other big German city, though. The craic at St Pauli is legendary. And for some reason I've started having a soft spot for Eintracht Frankfurt, even though I've never been to Frankfurt.

If in the Czech Republic, Viktoria Zhizkov seemed to be the St Pauli of Prague.

Been to all the clubs in Lisbon, but the nicest one to visit is not Benfica or Sporting, but Belenenses. They have a ground near the river (more of an estuary at this point) and it's open on the river side. No stand. So from much of the stadium you have this spectacular view across the water. Excellent place to watch a game on a sunny afternoon.

Hmm. I seem to like the smaller clubs in big, multiple-club cities. But I suppose what you don't get with those is the "big match" feeling that might propel you halfway across Europe for the purpose of being there.

Had a meander round the Belenenses ground when I was over there in June. Beautiful location for a ground of its size.

Frankfurt is shit, not worth a visit.

Didn't realise until the other night that Elche are in La Liga this season. The place is only about five minutes from Alicante airport, would love to go and see them play Barca in May.

Can't remember who it was mentioned t'other day but tickets against the big 2 in Spain regular start at €80+ and are sometimes excluded from STs.

Did NY Red Bulls vs. Real Salt Lake in the old Meadowlands.

Don't do that.  It sucked.

:anguish:

The old Meadowlands was a shithole. Not that the atmosphere at Red Bull Arena is much better.

The football was rotten, never mind the stadium.  Juan Pablo Angel blatantly couldn't be bothered yet he was still the best player on the pitch by a mile.

"09/13/2008 Real Salt Lake @ New York Red Bulls" on youtube - that's the game I was at.  NFL pitch markings :anguish:

Was at least half decent being in with the "Empire Supporters Club" though.  Not footage from this game, but we did join in with their Wu-Tang Clan adaptation like this one.

Just been to see Hertha Berlin come from behind to beat Mainz and I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. Totally fallen in love with the team, beautiful ground and amazing people. 

Just been to see Hertha Berlin come from behind to beat Mainz and I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. Totally fallen in love with the team, beautiful ground and amazing people. 

:thup:

I'm glad you had a good time! I've never seen Hertha come back from behind, ever.

So many places I want to experience. A lot of historic stadiums I must see before they are vacated- Mestalla being one of them. In Spain, I must go to a Seville derby, up to Galicia to Depor's Riazor, and then to Rayo Vallecano, Vincente Calderon, Malaga and of course the Bernabeau and Nou Camp/El Classico.

The Lisbon derby between Sporting and Benfica would be ace too. Then in Italy there's so many appealing clubs and derby's. The Ultras culture in Italy and Germany looks especially exciting, whilst Ajax and Feyenoord are two clubs I would love to visit.

Then there's Olympiakos-Panathinaikos which looks mental, as do many games in Croatia- Hadjuk Split and Dynamo Zagbreb in particular. I could literally go on and on! I'm so jealous of those who have already experienced it :(

So many places I want to experience. A lot of historic stadiums I must see before they are vacated- Mestalla being one of them. In Spain, I must go to a Seville derby, up to Galicia to Depor's Riazor, and then to Rayo Vallecano, Vincente Calderon, Malaga and of course the Bernabeau and Nou Camp/El Classico.

The Lisbon derby between Sporting and Benfica would be ace too. Then in Italy there's so many appealing clubs and derby's. The Ultras culture in Italy and Germany looks especially exciting, whilst Ajax and Feyenoord are two clubs I would love to visit.

Then there's Olympiakos-Panathinaikos which looks mental, as do many games in Croatia- Hadjuk Split and Dynamo Zagbreb in particular. I could literally go on and on! I'm so jealous of those who have already experienced it :(

Why bother with all that when you can have Stoke, Norwich and sunderland on a Super Sunday?

I wish I could've gone to the old San Mamés before it got pulled down. :sad:

A few years ago I went to the Maracana to see Flamengo v Cruzeiro. It was the best experience I've ever had at a football game. Due to our poor Portuguese, me and my mates ended up in with the Flamengo ultras behind the goals. The atmosphere was unbelievable when they went one up. Cue Cruzeiro coming back to win 2-1 and the mood started to change, a big fight broke out and a mad rush came tearing down the terrace towards us! Fuckin shit scary but we were close to the exits and got out of there with 5mins left.

The game itself wasn't amazing, it featured a 20 stone Adriano and ex Man Utd Kleberson. The Flamengo keeper had a shocker that day and I believe he's now in prison for killing his wife. All in all though it was a great experience.

I'm glad you had a good time! I've never seen Hertha come back from behind, ever.

Must admit I was concerned when they went a goal down. Great comeback though.

As an aside, Berlin is a beautiful city and I'd move here in a heartbeat. Totally my sort of place. I hadn't realised the marathon was today as well so caught some of that in a few different areas including towards the end up towards the Brandenburg Gate. :aww:

As an aside, Berlin is a beautiful city and I'd move here in a heartbeat. Totally my sort of place. I hadn't realised the marathon was today as well so caught some of that in a few different areas including towards the end up towards the Brandenburg Gate. :aww:

Aye, it's a good city. Friendly, laid-back, interesting, easy to move around in, relatively inexpensive, 24-hour licensing, very cosmopolitan, and absolutely stacks going on. Not great for football, though.

Where have you been staying?

Saw St Pauli come from behind and beat Hertha 4-3 in the DFB Pokal a few years ago. One of the best matches I've ever been at.

Tend to find that the only people who don't like Germany are those who've never been there.

Didn't realise until the other night that Elche are in La Liga this season. The place is only about five minutes from Alicante airport, would love to go and see them play Barca in May.

Can't remember who it was mentioned t'other day but tickets against the big 2 in Spain regular start at €80+ and are sometimes excluded from STs.

Aye. I was in Majorca once and went to the stadium with the intention of watching them v Barcelona. Turned around and came back when i found out it was so expensive.

Aye, it's a good city. Friendly, laid-back, interesting, easy to move around in, relatively inexpensive, 24-hour licensing, very cosmopolitan, and absolutely stacks going on. Not great for football, though.

Where have you been staying?

Near Rosenthaler Platz U-Bahn. Been getting all over though and here until Wednesday morning so still plenty time to see everything. Feel free to buy me a bier if you see me around. :D