Watching fútbol on the continent

Tooj

Planning on a trip to the continent over the next couple of months to take in a match of some sort. I know we have a lot of folk on here (Disco) that have been to various different countries to watch a few games, so I thought I would gauge the opinion of some on here of where and what team they would recommend to go and see.

I know for example the Bundesliga would be a popular choice, but also if anybody has been to any places to take in some domestic action that you wouldn't necesseraly class as the norm. :thup:

I've only been to Nurnberg and Atletico Madrid in Europe like, would recommend either - Atleti in particular. When I get round to holidaying in France and Italy I'll slip some football in there n all. Tickets I've found are relatively to buy, most clubs sell them online with the option to pick up at the ground - the big clubs in Spain also do it through a ticket agent (Servicaixa) where you can print them off at a cashpoint type thing outside the ground using the card you bought them on. Very simple. 

Germany you're match ticket acts as travel pass too plus you can booze in the ground which is canny.

In Spain I found more tickets came available more as the fixture gets closer if it's not a glamour tie as club members don't take up their tickets.

Pretty sure anywhere you go would be canny though.

As a rule of thumb grounds with decent transport links / near city centres are always better as in this country.

Rayo at home is a pretty unique experience. Although you'd probably try to get into the Calderón or Bernabéu if you stop by Madrid of course. But with so many teams in Madrid it's pretty easy to watch one of the big boys (Atlético, Real) and then one of the minnows (Getafe and Rayo) the same weekend. Getafe are a horrid matchday experience, however.

Malaga Rayo Vallecano a couple weeks ago was great.

Inter-Marseille a couple years ago was really good too, good atmopshere and some late drama

Classico at the Bernabeu was obviously mint (sit near the ultras if you go there)

Did UD Las Palmas v.s Numancia when I was in Gran Canaria last year. Going to see Dortmund v.s Hannover next month.

Loved the experience of watching football in another country, so different to over here.

Did Valencia vs Depor last year, also done Barca and went to see Mallorca play Madrid circa 2005ish. All good, the atmosphere is very different in Spain though.

Valencia had their ultras that were great but the general atmosphere was more relaxed and less 'stressed out' than it is over here imo. They pissed away a 3 nil lead at home to draw and if that was NUFC the atmosphere on the way out would be toxic, but they hardly seemed too bothered.

Also did Montpellier vs PSG and Marseille vs Evian last month, both of which were great.  Marseille's fans are brilliant and their stadium will be phenomenal when its done.

Hoping to go and see Dortmund and Ajax play some time this season for a weekend with some mates.

Saw Rome play AC Milan, atmosphere was pretty poor 1ce the initial flares/fireworks etc had calmed down, stadium was half empty and Milan's tiny contingent were kept well away from any other fans by rows upon rows of empty seats,  and stadium wasn't exactly impressive, view was a bit naff. But I didn't get stabbed, which is always nice.

I liked Vásás in Budapest. Friendly place with terraces full of drunken trade unionists, and a bar behind one of the goals where, surprisingly, you can just wander in, sit down at a table by the window, and watch the game with a beer and a chicken sandwich. Not many of the regular fans go in there for some reason. Saw them beat (surprisingly) Werder Bremen one time in the Intertwobob, and the guy on the next table was the chairman of the club. Only him and us in there. Weird.

I live in Berlin but have no affection at all for Hertha. Used to go to matches reasonably often but have stopped bothering in recent years. FC Union is a bit more fun. If football is the primary purpose, probably better to go to just about any other big German city, though. The craic at St Pauli is legendary. And for some reason I've started having a soft spot for Eintracht Frankfurt, even though I've never been to Frankfurt.

If in the Czech Republic, Viktoria Zhizkov seemed to be the St Pauli of Prague.

Been to all the clubs in Lisbon, but the nicest one to visit is not Benfica or Sporting, but Belenenses. They have a ground near the river (more of an estuary at this point) and it's open on the river side. No stand. So from much of the stadium you have this spectacular view across the water. Excellent place to watch a game on a sunny afternoon.

Hmm. I seem to like the smaller clubs in big, multiple-club cities. But I suppose what you don't get with those is the "big match" feeling that might propel you halfway across Europe for the purpose of being there.

I was there in May this year (they played against Bohemians - city rival), family atmosphere, stadium is not far from city center,  and food at half time near stadium is nice. :)

I liked Vásás in Budapest. Friendly place with terraces full of drunken trade unionists, and a bar behind one of the goals where, surprisingly, you can just wander in, sit down at a table by the window, and watch the game with a beer and a chicken sandwich. Not many of the regular fans go in there for some reason. Saw them beat (surprisingly) Werder Bremen one time in the Intertwobob, and the guy on the next table was the chairman of the club. Only him and us in there. Weird.

I live in Berlin but have no affection at all for Hertha. Used to go to matches reasonably often but have stopped bothering in recent years. FC Union is a bit more fun. If football is the primary purpose, probably better to go to just about any other big German city, though. The craic at St Pauli is legendary. And for some reason I've started having a soft spot for Eintracht Frankfurt, even though I've never been to Frankfurt.

Been to all the clubs in Lisbon, but the nicest one to visit is not Benfica or Sporting, but Belenenses. They have a ground near the river (more of an estuary at this point) and it's open on the river side. No stand. So from much of the stadium you have this spectacular view across the water. Excellent place to watch a game on a sunny afternoon.

Hmm. I seem to like the smaller clubs in big, multiple-club cities. But I suppose what you don't get with those is the "big match" feeling that might propel you halfway across Europe for the purpose of being there.

Interesting post.

I'd absolutely love to do a football tour of Europe one day. Just the standard travelling thing that everyone does; hostel train hostel train - but centred around various matches across the continent. Bet it would be an absolute blast.