Cardiff City 1 - 2 Newcastle United 05/10/13 - Post-match reaction from page 39

Greg

I'm still very much supporting Cisse, don't think we play a game that suits him though.

This is how I feel. Despite the 433's there hasn't been much pace on balls across and in to him in the box. Of course he's had chances and he should have taken them all a lot better bar his header. I still don't think he's getting the chances he needs to break his duck and kick off again. I'm hoping he does.

I think balls slid into his feet are where he really prospers when he can get a shot away first time but that's a real rarity now whereas in his first few months we played on the front foot and gave him those opportunities all the time.

OMG! Wullie is using Pardisms!!

I would throw Adam Cambell in at the deep end too. Sick of this mentality where you have to loan a player out.

At the moment though if Remy and Hatem can be that dangerous we're ok playing a ''pseudo'' 9.

Campbell is too small to be a force in the PL....he has pace but would find it tough against all but the poorest PL sides. Look at the impact Rooney made at 18 and players like Gazza and Shearer at the same age....if you are really star material it should be showing by that age.

The fact that Campbell is not part of the first team scene tells you that either a) He is not rated as first team squad material or b) the manager you frequently defend is a poor judge of a player.

The only way I could see Campbell being used properly is if we had a big target man who could lay the ball off for him or take the pressure off him from Centre Backs - and neither Remy nor Cisse are this type of player.

Take your choice.....

Bit tough using Shearer, Gazza and Rooney as your yardstick.

I've only seen glimpses of Campbell in action, but I can see why he's attracted optimistic attention. He reminds me a bit of Beardsley in his style, and of course he ended up playing in Canada before someone took a chance on him. So I don't think his size is necessarily a problem, and I like to think there's hope still.

Pardew is under pressure and with the situation we're in, perhaps he feels he can't afford to give younger players the necessary learning curve in the first team. Maybe he's naturally cautious. But I'd put Campbell on the bench, if only because he can offer something different from our other strikers.

Why is it tough using Shearer Gazza and Rooney as the yardstick for Campbell ? All of these players were showing star quality at 18 and if Campbell is the player some people seem to think he is, he should be doing the same. Small players have to be exceptional in order to make the top grade esp as strikers and Beardsley was/is bigger than Campbell....a different type of player too, not an out and out striker, more a player who schemed and played off the front striker(s).

I suppose my point was that some players are later developers, or have to overcome people's doubts relating to their size or strength. I think Beardsley was a case in point.

In the short times that I've seen Campbell, he's looked confident and composed, eager to get involved and trying things. That's something I always look for in a young player - do they really believe that they belong out there. That's one reason I'd like to see him given more chances.

Dummett looks to have the right sort of confidence too.

I'm still very much supporting Cisse, don't think we play a game that suits him though.

This is how I feel. Despite the 433's there hasn't been much pace on balls across and in to him in the box. Of course he's had chances and he should have taken them all a lot better bar his header. I still don't think he's getting the chances he needs to break his duck and kick off again. I'm hoping he does.

I think balls slid into his feet are where he really prospers when he can get a shot away first time but that's a real rarity now whereas in his first few months we played on the front foot and gave him those opportunities all the time.

The chance he had yesterday, when the ball came into him on the 6 yard box and he decided to try and take it down... A year ago, he would have attempted to leather it in.  He's got no confidence whatsoever.

I still think he's an average striker.  Went through a purple patch when he signed and scored some absolute screamers that he would probably would never score again eg goals vs Chelsea, Swansea and even the Villa one.

A point to consider:

When playing our 4-3-3 with Remy on the left and Gouff or Ben Arfa (when he starts defending again) on the right. Can you imagine if we had a "decent" centre forward e.g. Defoe/Wellbeck/Michu/Giroud (we could assume that this lot are/were attainable... even for us!) :idiot2:, or at the minimum, someone with a semblance of form....

We would have finished this game off by half time on saturday and I'm quite sure that with someone of the above ilk it would have been more than enough.

I really do think Cisse should be dropped :knuppel2:, he isn't putting in the shifts like he used to, hounding players down and running himself into the ground. I did notice on saturday that his attitude to his teammates was pretty poor, complaining at every pass  :tickedoff: instead of geeing them on to get the next one right.

If Hatem's got his head back I would put Gouff as our centre forward with remy and HBA wide on each side against the red bin dippers, Hatem's got a chance at redemption here!! :angel:

Thought we could have coped better once they scored, we came out the second half with the right attitude and looked to attack them but as soon as the goal went in we retreated somewhat. I know you expect the home side to come on strongly for the equaliser and we deserve credit for showing the desire to hang in there to get the 3 points but felt the team could have responded slightly better. Pardew was trying to urge them up the field but we seemed to be getting deeper and deeper. All in all though was an excellent team performance, showed the spirit and character we have in the side to bounce back from that first half Everton performance and done well to carry the second half of that over to Saturday. Much needed 3 points with the fixtures we have coming up, hopefully we will get a surprise result in their somewhere.

Guest icemanblue

I didn't notice it, but this good to read (from .com's match report):

'The second half introduction of fit-again Jonas Gutierrez for Remy down the left flank was booed at the time, but proved crucial in shoring things up, although Pardew was urging his troops not to drop deeper after conceding.'

Didn't complain about that sub myself, we were on the ropes and needed the extra help.

Obviously the fans at the ground never realised he was injured so was unfair to boo Pardew's decision but Jonas did his job well when he came on.

Didn't complain about that sub myself, we were on the ropes and needed the extra help.

Same here. I've always said that while Jonas isn't good enough to be a regular any more, he's still a valuable squad player. Very useful player to have when you want to defend or put out a solid formation.

Obviously the fans at the ground never realised he was injured so was unfair to boo Pardew's decision but Jonas did his job well when he came on.

Mate who was at the game says there were people chanting "you don't know what you're doing" at pardew when he made the subs. :idiot2:

Guest firetotheworks

Mate who was at the game says there were people chanting "you don't know what you're doing" at pardew when he made the subs. :idiot2:

Good.

Ok fair enough, I'm going on other peoples opinions at the moment as I had to try to watch the match on my phone with a shitty connection so I saw very little of it.  About to watch it all soon though.

Guest icemanblue

Ok fair enough, I'm going on other peoples opinions at the moment as I had to try to watch the match on my phone with a shitty connection so I saw very little of it.  About to watch it all soon though.

So annoying that it's become fact, like. It obviously was not the case on Saturday, at all.

The shot count is usually the most telling statistic, and on Saturday, we had 20 shots, 10 on target, they had 8 shots, 2 on target.

It must be a long time since we've produced that kind of stat, particularly away from home.

Guest icemanblue

Fair description of events from .com:

There's a certain irony in the fact that the only signing JFK managed to get over that mythical line in the last transfer window is currently ensuring that his manager remains in post.

Compensating for the continued goal drought endured by Papiss Cisse and the absence of other striking options, the form and threat of Loic Remy makes Newcastle a viable proposition going forward whatever the occasion - something acutely missing since the sale of Demba Ba.

To call him pivotal is an understatement: at present the Frenchman is as vital to our fortunes as naming a goalkeeper in the starting XI. Two more goals here today ensured that United suffered no hangover following their Everton misadventure and went into the international break on an even keel - rather than heading full steam for the rocks as had been feared.

Kinnear of course took credit for the arrival of Remy and made sure he was photographed alongside the new arrival, but the former Marseille player - and his agents - were familiar to United well before that footballing dinosaur roamed this particular piece of earth. 

This wasn't just a solo effort though from Remy. A scintillating first half display from the blue-clad Magpies swept aside City and could have seen them go in at half time with a far larger advantage. Moussa Sissoko saw one effort tipped over and Yohan Cabaye hitting the post with a crafty free kick as Alan Pardew's side more than reprised the bright opening that paid dividends at Villa.

Two goals to the good, the onslaught continued after the interval with Sissoko again denied by David Marshall before the first period of cohesive play from the home side saw them gain a foothold in the game when Peter Odemwingie netted, continuing a prolific scoring run against us that began in his West Bromwich Albion days and on one occasion, sealed Chris Hughton's fate.

Maintaining their one goal advantage gave United some nervy moments in the closing stages but despite the introduction of old boy Craig Bellamy in a wide right role and a belated stirring of the home crowd into vocal support, Cardiff couldn't conjure up an equaliser.

If anything, United looked the more likely to score again, Papiss Cisse spurning a glaring chance from point-blank range, while a blatant handball in the box was missed by referee Kevin Friend.

Anything other than the three points would have been a travesty for The Magpies however, who looked sharper and more composed in every department than in the 45 minute humiliation that was the first half at Goodison. And that improvement included the goalkeeping slot, Tim Krul coming off his line to make a vital interception to deny Jordon Mutch in the closing stages.

The second half introduction of fit-again Jonas Gutierrez for Remy down the left flank was booed by toon fans at the time, but proved crucial in shoring things up, although Pardew was visibly urging his troops not to drop deeper after conceding and thus hand the initiative to the home side.

Those same fans urging the arrival of Hatem Ben Arfa shortly after Cardiff scored obviously hadn't attended or watched Monday night's game - and therefore failed to witness the fact that we were in effect a man short in the first half at Goodison, fielding a luxury that we just couldn't afford.

One man who did further his cause at Everton was forgotten man Mike Williamson, and he duly made his 100th start for the club in preference to Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa. And aside from some confusion over City's goal when he was dragged out wide, a solid display brought a deserved ovation as he was the last man off the field at full time.

The win, plus other Premier League results, moved United up to eleventh with ten points from the first seven games. We also matched our away win tally in the league from the whole of last season with a second success on the road this time round.

Away from those bland statistics however lies a situation that's far trickier to call, an ambiguity hinted at by Alan Pardew post-match when admitting that he doesn't really know what he's got in his own dressing room.And while the precious points today may have improved his mood, whether they have enhanced his job security at Gallowgate is a trickier one to call.

A run of disorganised defeats would undoubtedly weaken Pardew's position in post, but it's debatable whether our current indifferent form does anything other than highlight the fact that this squad has undoubted potential, but it remains unrealised. It used to be called the next level. 

There again, on the basis we have no other stated ambition than to finish in the top half of the table, the manager is just a hairs breath away from meeting his employers demands. Will that lack of ambition combined with our inconsistency actually end up keeping the manager employed?

Returning to the headline-grabbing goalscorer, at this rate of progress it's not just QPR who may fancy signing him up - regardless of comments made by Dirty Harry in recent days. Since when did anyone ever believe a single word that disreputable scoundrel uttered by the way?

Partly plagiarising our shirt sponsor's motto, this particular little loan is rapidly garnering high interest. If our Director of f****all is looking to curry favour with those who mock him, turning that temporary deal into a permanent one would be a positive move. To do so of course though would also give Pardew's cause a boost.