Cardiff City 1 - 2 Newcastle United 05/10/13 - Post-match reaction from page 39

Greg

We looked like a team today. Everyone seemed to know what they were supposed to do.

Well, the exception may be Santon. He worries me. There are times when the play just seems to pass him by. I'd give Dummett a go.

Only just watched it on Football First, I thought we looked good. A bit dodgy after they scored for a bit but I don't think that's unnatural, momentum is funny in football and it's rare that teams dominate others from start to finish. We certainly need to build our confidence more.

I thought the midfield 3 looked very fluid today, Sissoko was popping into the hole at times, Cabaye appeared there at others. We need that kind of unpredictability.

I'd argue for keeping Remy at inside left - he looks far more dangerous there, than he does centrally.

Literally no argument to be had. Everton was proof of that, as if it were required. He, and the team, is much better balanced when he's on the left, Hatem on the right and someone central (hopefully Gouff).

Gouffran isn't a long term option for centre forward - works hard, but doesn't get enough goals. Cisse looks well off the boil and I wonder about his long term future should this run go on. Definitely need a new centre-forward lining up - and maybe 2 if Remy doesn't stay permanently.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I would throw Adam Cambell in at the deep end too. Sick of this mentality where you have to loan a player out.

At the moment though if Remy and Hatem can be that dangerous we're ok playing a ''pseudo'' 9.

None of the strikers we have are the long term answer for centre forward tbh.

With Remy and Ben Arfa we need someone to hold the ball up and by that i don't genuinely mean someone to aimlessly hoof to.

But we definitely need a Benteke/Lukaku type who can push back defences creating space for our wide forwards to drive the team forward.

Obviously goals as well but that's a given, one of the things that concerns me the most with Cisse apart from his abject confidence in front of goal but outside of the box he offers no threat to the defenders.

When you've got the goal threat that Remy and Ben Arfa carry, I don't think you need a prolific goalscorer to spearhead the front line. Gouffran lacks composure but he will get the odd goal - more importantly, his control, work rate and mobility up top would make him very useful to the team. My point is, I don't think we're absolutely dependent on a goalscoring CF, rather someone who can aid our other attackers whilst chipping in as well.

I've no doubt Gouff could be that player. We'd have the movement to make us fluid and unpredictable, instead of having to carry a player like we are with Papiss atm. With Gouff instead, all three could interchange.

Long term, we could do with that Lukaku type that Mole's going on about. But we don't have one atm.

When you've got the goal threat that Remy and Ben Arfa carry, I don't think you need a prolific goalscorer to spearhead the front line. Gouffran lacks composure but he will get the odd goal - more importantly, his control, work rate and mobility up top would make him very useful to the team. My point is, I don't think we're absolutely dependent on a goalscoring CF, rather someone who can aid our other attackers whilst chipping in as well.

I've no doubt Gouff could be that player. We'd have the movement to make us fluid and unpredictable, instead of having to carry a player like we are with Papiss atm. With Gouff instead, all three could interchange.

:thup: you just saved me typing that out, cheers

So (honest question) does everyone thing that how Cisse is playing now is Papisse Cisse? Like, this is how good he actually is? Rather than being bad form I mean.

Think you have to look at his overall record to assess that question.

From what Wikipedia tells me, he's broadly speaking, a 1 in 2 striker (or just under for the pedants) so you have to assume he's on a terrible dip in form.

So (honest question) does everyone thing that how Cisse is playing now is Papisse Cisse? Like, this is how good he actually is? Rather than being bad form I mean.

Think you have to look at his overall record to assess that question.

From what Wikipedia tells me, he's broadly speaking, a 1 in 2 striker (or just under for the pedants) so you have to assume he's on a terrible dip in form.

Also, if this is his level he would never have scored all the brilliant goals that he has for us.

Bad form. He will start scoring again imo.

Bad form doesn't last this long, he's a striker who has a really specific set of skills even when he's confident and we are not getting the best from those skills.

With how we play and the type of wide players we use i don't think he compliments them very well.... with that said i still believe in him and wouldn't sell him or anything but a Gomis type would have gone down a treat right about now honestly.

Bad form. He will start scoring again imo.

Bad form doesn't last this long, he's a striker who has a really specific set of skills even when he's confident and we are not getting the best from those skills.

With how we play and the type of wide players we use i don't think he compliments them very well.... with that said i still believe in him and wouldn't sell him or anything but a Gomis type would have gone down a treat right about now honestly.

Bad form can easily last this long. I am sure there are other examples that people can come up with. Today was by far not his worst game; thought he was quite lively first half.