BT Sport to get exclusive Champions League & Europa League TV rights from 2015

Mole_Toonfan

So how many channels over there are free-to-air? Does basically anyone with a home get those for free?

You pay £145.50 a year for a colour TV license per household (I love how these are still differentiated btw, as if anybody is still paying £49 for black and white). This money all goes to the BBC who air their channels (radio and online too) without ads.

There's like 50 odd channels free-to-air but most most are rubbish and/or extensions of the main channels. The traditional 5 channels are BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Five which were what were on the old terrestrial analogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_terrestrial_television_channels_%28UK%29

If the numbers are right then it's just another nail in the coffin of this club and the many others that can't/won't get into the top four. As I said before, all this means is that the rich will get richer. They'll get even more money and spend even more money to ensure they get the money next time.

:lol: Maybe we'll go after it, now that there's serious cash in it? :yao:

So how many channels over there are free-to-air? Does basically anyone with a home get those for free?

You pay £145.50 a year for a colour TV license per household (I love how these are still differentiated btw, as if anybody is still paying £49 for black and white). This money all goes to the BBC who air their channels (radio and online too) without ads.

There's like 50 odd channels free-to-air but most most are rubbish and/or extensions of the main channels. The traditional 5 channels are BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4 and Five which were what were on the old terrestrial analogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_terrestrial_television_channels_%28UK%29

:thup: Interesting, sounds like a shit setup. Not that ours is any better.

Just looked it up, still 28,000 households black and white tellys in the UK as of 2009.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/media-centre/news/black-and-white-tv-still-going-strong-NEWS22/

Old people ffs.

Edit: down to 13,000 as of this year.

God damn a lot of old people died.

Well it did cost Sunderland their fanbase.

Could just be the digital switchover encouraging them to upgrade. Analogues signals were switched off altogether last year.

If the numbers are right then it's just another nail in the coffin of this club and the many others that can't/won't get into the top four. As I said before, all this means is that the rich will get richer. They'll get even more money and spend even more money to ensure they get the money next time.

Makes no difference. Most of those clubs spend beyond their means anyway. Just means they'll be generating the money legitimately rather than a Sheik/Oligarch putting it in.

It's a great shame there's no more free to air mind - regardless of people complaining about ITV etc.

It is understood BT may commit to making certain matches available free-to-air across both the Champions League and Europa League, a tactic it has already employed with its Premier League coverage.

I'd imagine they'd have to make some free because of uefa wanting it on free-to-air channels because of sponsorship deals etc.

Guest Haris Vuckic

It's a great shame there's no more free to air mind - regardless of people complaining about ITV etc.

It is understood BT may commit to making certain matches available free-to-air across both the Champions League and Europa League, a tactic it has already employed with its Premier League coverage.

I'd imagine they'd have to make some free because of uefa wanting it on free-to-air channels because of sponsorship deals etc.

Ah that's not so bad. I'm more thinking of the old people who tend to look forward to it on a weeknight.

It would be a shame to leave them with nowt. :thup:

Another sign that the people who run football care only for football, not quality of the competition or making it accessable and viewable by as many fans as possible. A lot of fans seem blinded by how much the huge quantity of money sloshing around the 'top' clubs has ruined the competitiveness of football (albeit I shouldn't be the one to moan having only been a fan in this period really). i guess BT sport is cheaper than Sky in that a lot of people already have BT so will get it  additional easy enough but the amount of money to bid for it is just absurd.

If they make some free to air anyway that's something of a decent gesture. The price of football bids by companies make me lead to believe football is in somewhat of a ridiculous bubble that is bound to burst at some point.