Newcastle United 2 - 1 Norwich City - 23/11/13 - Post-match reaction from p31

Mike

Not particularly going by this game, but I wish we were better on the counter attack. Defending a lead and getting the opposition to over-commit is okay if we can then hit teams on the break. Generally what seems to happen is we either lose the ball and the pressure on our defence continues, or we take too many passes and the momentum is lost.

When we had Dyer and Bellamy, we could really hurt teams that way.

Got away with that one.

Result shouldn't have even been in question with 15 minutes to play. Why we can't simply go out and try to score more goals to finish a team off, rather than just sit and hand the initiative/momentum to a poor team, I don't know. Scoring a third would have killed that game stone dead and we could have done whatever we liked - rest a few legs, give a young player a bit of pitch-time etc. But no, we're just content to sit, hold our shape, go negative as f*** and allow the opposition time and space to create problems. It's happened time and time again, sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don't, we got away with it today. Drag 11 men back to defend a corner and still allow him a free header without any c*** on the post.

f*** off man.

:clap:

Absolutely. Had this argument with a fellow supporter at full time. He was delighted and full of praise for Pards as if he wasn't watching. Granted the first half was quite good, but fuck me do we make hard work of it. To let a deflated Norwich back into the game the way we did was borderline madness. How about you carry on from where you left off Pards? How about ENTERTAINING THE HOME CROWD for a fucking change eh? How about trying to remedy that goal difference a bit?

It's one thing hanging on for dear life having taken a lead against Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs, and it's another doing it at home to a poor Norwich side missing their two best players. Worryingly, my mate's response to me asking why we shouldn't be aiming to put 4 or 5 past a lower half team at home? "Well Pards didn't want to risk injuries to players by going all out for a thrashing". That's how far this shyster's negativity has seeped into the mentality of some fans.

Could easily have done a Hull. Although I must say, Cisse did score a perfectly good goal which would have polished the scoreline a bit.

Guest Roger Kint

Who posted the 33/1 Remy fgs bet?

Roger Kint.  Wish I had taken his advice.

Possibly the only happy person at that second half shambls(once it had finished obviously :lol:), should never have got into a position where my bet would come in mind.

Guest Roger Kint

Shambles. Give over man :lol:

From where we were at HT to even be in a position where we could throw away the win is a shambles. Norwich were they to be fucked up and we did our best to drag them into a game they werent even in.

Guest Haris Vuckic

For me the only shambles was our finishing - utterly terrible. We should have been out of sight & wasted chance after chance.

Norwich never really threatened as much as people like to make out either.

Guest Roger Kint

For me the only shambles was our finishing - utterly terrible. We should have been out of sight & wasted chance after chance.

Norwich never really threatened as much as people like to make out either.

I agree with both of those points, the fact that Norwich are so dreadful they didnt manage anything other than a headed corner doesnt excuse the drop in performance for me. A half decent team would have punished us for sitting so far back.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Perhaps motivation was lacking I dunno, I came away happy enough with it.

We seem to handle sitting back & breaking quite well, it's not a bad way to use some of our pace to carve chances. It's all well and good saying a half decent team would have punished us but with some half decent finishing we would have been out of sight. I only really watched Norwich last week and against Man City - so it's probably fair to say I'm at a loss to give a proper analysis.

That said we did look a bit sluggish & Cabaye looked f***ed well before he was taken off, he spent the second half just hoofing it.

Guest Roger Kint

We seem to handle sitting back & breaking quite well, it's not a bad way to use some of our pace to carve chances. It's all well and good saying a half decent team would have punished us but with some half decent finishing we would have been out of sight.

That said we did look a bit sluggish & Cabaye looked fucked well before he was taken off, he spent the second half just hoofing it.

:thup: For the record i am a lot happier win the win than i am worried about the way we played second half. Just pretty frustrating.

Guest neesy111

We seem to handle sitting back & breaking quite well, it's not a bad way to use some of our pace to carve chances. It's all well and good saying a half decent team would have punished us but with some half decent finishing we would have been out of sight.

That said we did look a bit sluggish & Cabaye looked fucked well before he was taken off, he spent the second half just hoofing it.

:thup: For the record i am a lot happier win the win than i am worried about the way we played second half. Just pretty frustrating.

It'd be nice to thrash a team for once as it's been ages since we did and have had plenty of thrashings ourselves.

Guest Roger Kint

It'd be nice to thrash a team for once as it's been ages since we did and have had plenty of thrashings ourselves.

A positive GD would have been nice mind, really is bad how we have only scored more than 2 on about 3 occasions in 18 months.

Three wins on the trot is great but I still can't make my mind up. None of them were entirely convincing but all included periods of excellent play.

We really are starting to look like a very good team at times with top quality players in key positions, and for the first time in quite a while we have a strong bench with some serious options. Perhaps there is some room for optimism. Maybe.

I didn't think Norwich looked a bad side, apart from the first goal, They should have enough to survive and they are a lot better than a couple of other teams down there.

Three wins on the trot is great but I still can't make my mind up. None of them were entirely convincing but all included periods of excellent play.

We really are starting to look like a very good team at times with top quality players in key positions, and for the first time in quite a while we have a strong bench with some serious options. Perhaps there is some room for optimism. Maybe.

I didn't think Norwich looked a bad side, apart from the first goal, They should have enough to survive and they are a lot better than a couple of other teams down there.

This is what is frustrating. We're 8th with Pardew showing in glimpses what we're capable of. A better manager and why couldn't we compete for a top 6 place rather than just top 10?

This is what is frustrating. We're 8th with Pardew showing in glimpses what we're capable of. A better manager and why couldn't we compete for a top 6 place rather than just top 10?

IMO there's nothing between our squad compared to Everton's. If anything, we have better overall individuals in some key areas. No reason why we can't be toe to toe with them all season.

edit: the bold bit is a clusterfuck of a sentence. Meant to say that there's not that much difference between our squad and Everton's. blame it on the moonshine.

I thought we were going to win this convincingly after going two goals up, but in the end I can't say I felt good about much other than the result. Both goals were handed to us by their defence really so that should have given us a good platform to score at least one off our own bat. Disappointing that we couldn't give them the drubbing they deserved.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think Cisse's goal should have stood - overall our finishing was shocking mind.

We had enough chances to put a few past them.