Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we sack Pardew, we'll be in the bottom 4 this time next season apparently  :lol:

Based on what? These guys are ridiculous.

:lol: I wonder how good the EPL would be if England had an actual sports media.

It's so bad here tbh. I can't think of one journalist/pundit I respect. The is version is streets ahead

It sounds like no one with a TV gig watches a minute of our games.

That's basically it, they do the bare minimum and watch what's on/big teams. Then peddle the latest cliche around "pardew is doing fine", I seem to recall one saying we were a threat from set pieces once

:lol: A threat to the fans behind the goal and the players making up the wall.

And to ourselves if i recall, we seemed to end up conceding from them :lol: we innovated the set piece

Getting back to it, I saw something when that dude walked up to Pards and tried to give him his season ticket. The caption was like "They're 8th!" all incredulous that the fans would be this pissed off. I found it hilarious, tbh. How unaware of our team/play/last two seasons do you have to be to think we're overreacting.

Guest tollemache

So you'd have someone who is a decent pundit over someone who won a cup with fucking Swansea and has proven he plays good football? :lol:

Also, you do know that you make your point redundant the very second you typed up Souness' name, right? Being a decent pundit does not mean you can manage a team.

I think I've confused you a bit there, sorry. I responded to the post above me, then went on to rejoin the discussion on pundits. I don't think Gabriele Marcotti would make a good manager ffs

If we sack Pardew, we'll be in the bottom 4 this time next season apparently  :lol:

It's so bad here tbh. I can't think of one journalist/pundit I respect. The is version is streets ahead

That's basically it, they do the bare minimum and watch what's on/big teams. Then peddle the latest cliche around "pardew is doing fine", I seem to recall one saying we were a threat from set pieces once

And to ourselves if i recall, we seemed to end up conceding from them :lol: we innovated the set piece

Getting back to it, I saw something when that dude walked up to Pards and tried to give him his season ticket. The caption was like "They're 8th!" all incredulous that the fans would be this p*ssed off. I found it hilarious, tbh. How unaware of our team/play/last two seasons do you have to be to think we're overreacting.

That's it, that's the rhetoric that's getting put out there constantly, so it becomes fact as people don't know/care enough about us. It's grim.

The deadly bit of it is that we've probably got an owner that gets his opinions from TV.

I can think of a couple of candidates I'd prefer though...

Pundits who are good:

Marcotti

Carragher

Honigstein

Neville

Souness at times. I know I know, shuuut up

There are more

When you say good, do you mean like...they're competent, or that they're willing to say what needs to be said? Have any of them mentioned how terrible we are and how unable he is to cope with getting the team to play well?

Getting back to it, I saw something when that dude walked up to Pards and tried to give him his season ticket. The caption was like "They're 8th!" all incredulous that the fans would be this p*ssed off. I found it hilarious, tbh. How unaware of our team/play/last two seasons do you have to be to think we're overreacting.

That's it, that's the rhetoric that's getting put out there constantly, so it becomes fact as people don't know/care enough about us. It's grim.

The deadly bit of it is that we've probably got an owner that gets his opinions from TV.

I'd honestly be surprised if he even watches football, I don't think he even likes it

:lol: Comes to the games, sees a relatively full house. Looks at the table, not in the bottom three or top six, good enough.

I know I shouldn't care about it, but I'm at the stage where I'm tearing my hair out listening to people defend Pardew. Especially in the context that he's been dealt a rough hand by Ashley. That is absolute bullshit. Pardew has either zero integrity - or he's in on the whole thing (it's both, btw). Saying he's done a great job 'in the circumstances' - or words to that effect - is just utter cluelessness, and it's particularly galling when it's spoken with such arrogance and often disdain for Newcastle supporters.

Everyone seems to be an expert when it comes to the mentality of Newcastle fans. Is there another club in the league that gets the same tired "fans expect" cliches thrown at us? This season there's probably only ManU who pip us to the post in that wanky little league table.

I'd honestly be surprised if he even watches football, I don't think he even likes it

:lol: Comes to the games, sees a relatively full house. Looks at the table, not in the bottom three or top six, good enough.

I genuinely think thats the case, I'm sure that latest article said he hadn't been to a game in like 6 months. Doesn't even live up here :lol:

:lol: He's a glance owner. That's how Kinnear being terrible escaped his attention.

Keegan left and then won a court case against Ashley for unfair dismissal, Pardew could do the same 

na. if you remember what golfmag said, he wasn't sold a lie like keegan, he knew the rules when he took the job.

I know I shouldn't care about it, but I'm at the stage where I'm tearing my hair out listening to people defend Pardew. Especially in the context that he's been dealt a rough hand by Ashley. That is absolute bullshit. Pardew has either zero integrity - or he's in on the whole thing (it's both, btw). Saying he's done a great job 'in the circumstances' - or words to that effect - is just utter cluelessness, and it's particularly galling when it's spoken with such arrogance and often disdain for Newcastle supporters.

Everyone seems to be an expert when it comes to the mentality of Newcastle fans. Is there another club in the league that gets the same tired "fans expect" cliches thrown at us? This season there's probably only ManU who pip us to the post in that wanky little league table.

Top post :thup:

Poor fucker has to work with a team filled with international players, how on earth is he expected to be able to make them play football?

Had an argument with a kid on twitter today about it. it's mindless and frustrating, they will not see it any other way.

The same could easily be said for the likes of you and me, and I sometimes feel bigoted whenever I talk about Ashley/Pardew and their attitude towards the club. But there is evidence to actually support the argument that A: they're liars, B: there is no desire to compete. It's just infuriating that people are blind to those hard facts. And for what? It's not like we're good, or anything, meaning you can brush things under the carpet. We're average at best and are run by a bunch of cunts. Yet there is still a defence.

Tbh though, my post was really referring to journalists and the like.

That's the thing, like. If it was such a terrible job for him he would've walked by now. He hasn't because he's complicit with the whole operation. Little snidey bastard.

Guest tollemache

Pundits who are good:

Marcotti

Carragher

Honigstein

Neville

There are more

When you say good, do you mean like...they're competent, or that they're willing to say what needs to be said? Have any of them mentioned how terrible we are and how unable he is to cope with getting the team to play well?

To be honest I haven't watched nearly enough of them recently to know what they've said about Newcastle. But they're certainly not in the habit of being sloppy or relying on hearsay etc...  In general they strike me as:

Marcotti - incredibly well-read and meticulous, checks his facts, understands the game enough to be able to give decent tactical insight, has loads of great insider contacts.

Carragher - not on the level of Neville (yet?) but a similar overall thrust

Honigstein - see Marcotti. Lots of interesting knowledge on the background, the running of the game etc etc.

Neville - singlehandedly raised the bar of mainstream analysis. Constantly telling you things you couldn't possibly have noticed yourself and seems intimately familiar with every side in the league. I'd be really surprised if he'd said anything about Pardew without it being based on watching the team, or some other solid source

Souness - resists cliche, always tries to offer the inside track. Cut above most of the old-timers.

Non-playing pundits like Marcotti, Wilson, Honigstein, Wilson etc pride themselves on their fact-checking etc. If anyone's going to lazily peddle shit about NUFC it's the Martin Samuels and Robbie Savages... people who have to churn out copy or blab on the radio day after day and it doesn't really matter if it's spot on, just as long as it's thought-provoking and fills the space.

That's the thing, like. If it was such a terrible job for him he would've walked by now. He hasn't because he's complicit with the whole operation. Little snidey bastard.

Yep. And even if you're coming from the angle that Ashley hasn't treated his manager well - he's still provided him with a selection of internationals every weekend. That's not to say our transfer policy is anything close to perfect, obviously.

I genuinely think thats the case, I'm sure that latest article said he hadn't been to a game in like 6 months. Doesn't even live up here :lol:

:lol: He's a glance owner. That's how Kinnear being terrible escaped his attention.

Yeah basically hired him, fucked off somewhere.

This next DOF hire (if he makes one) will determine if anything will ever happen for this team as long as he owns it. Get a football mind in that understands what the fanbase wants and we could probably accomplish something.

Pundits who are good:

Marcotti

Carragher

Honigstein

Neville

There are more

To be honest I haven't watched nearly enough of them recently to know what they've said about Newcastle. But they're certainly not in the habit of being sloppy or relying on hearsay etc...  In general they strike me as:

Marcotti - incredibly well-read and meticulous, checks his facts, understands the game enough to be able to give decent tactical insight, has loads of great insider contacts.

Carragher - not on the level of Neville (yet?) but a similar overall thrust

Honigstein - see Marcotti. Lots of interesting knowledge on the background, the running of the game etc etc.

Neville - singlehandedly raised the bar of mainstream analysis. Constantly telling you things you couldn't possibly have noticed yourself and seems intimately familiar with every side in the league. I'd be really surprised if he'd said anything about Pardew without it being based on watching the team, or some other solid source

Souness - resists cliche, always tries to offer the inside track. Cut above most of the old-timers.

Non-playing pundits like Marcotti, Wilson, Honigstein, Wilson etc pride themselves on their fact-checking etc. If anyone's going to lazily peddle shit about NUFC it's the Martin Samuels and Robbie Savages... people who have to churn out copy or blab on the radio day after day and it doesn't really matter if it's spot on, just as long as it's thought-provoking and fills the space.

:thup: Thanks for the answer. I don't see much of these guys, so it's difficult for me to have a really informed opinion.

I think it's a bit cliche that Pardew makes poor players play better than they are, or would at any other club tbh. Most poor players have just looked unsurprisingly like poor players under him.

Williamson is fairly solid when alongside Coloccini and Leon Best and Ryan Taylor have been "useful" under him. There are many other poor players up and down the league putting in performances for other managers.

I don't play close enough attention to other clubs to notice how their poorer players are performing but I know Williamson, Best, Raylor, Perch, Guthrie etc.. Have all had spells at the club where they were considered worse than shite then could have arguably been harshly moved out of the team when the regular first teamers have got fit again. Williamson is probably our first choice centre back (even with everyone fit) at the moment for example.

I don't think Pardew improved any of those players, they just fit in with his back to basics style of football. Not surprising since they are Championship players for the most part.

That is entirely the point though isn't it?

They were all looking like decent premiership players, Best had something like a 1 in 3 goal record and I dread to even post this because I am too lazy to search for the posts but IIRC a fair few were suggesting it would be harsh to drop Guthrie for Cabaye at one point. Perch was doing a far better job than Tiote, Williamson in the season we finished 5th and this season was doing really well, Raylor was performing better than expected (I think he would have been really useful this season actually).

Give Pardew a talented player and he doesn't have a clue what to do with him, give him a poor to average player and he will get them exceeding most people expectations.

Yeah basically hired him, fucked off somewhere.

This next DOF hire (if he makes one) will determine if anything will ever happen for this team as long as he owns it. Get a football mind in that understands what the fanbase wants and we could probably accomplish something.

Unfortunately I think we're far beyond the point where this factor or that factor will affect matters to any great degree, or believing that there is still any mystery or doubt about the owner's ambitions for us. This season we got to 30-odd points and thought it job done and it was pointless us even entering the cups as usual under this ownership.

There is no desire to push on, rather to plod along. That's it. We'll have to sign a number of players this summer just to stand still, due to numerous players leaving already/soon and the wilful negligence of the squad's needs for 2 transfer windows running. Sadly I don't even have much faith in Ashley to do that bare minimum in the summer, he loves leaving the squad short when he believes he can get away with doing so.

I am 100% certain that if this summer is yet another disaster in terms of transfers, someone will say that next January will be the key one. Fucking hell, how many more times do you need to be slapped in the face?

Guest bimpy474

I am 100% certain that if this summer is yet another disaster in terms of transfers, someone will say that next January will be the key one. Fucking hell, how many more times do you need to be slapped in the face?

Portsmouth, Leeds, you know the drill.

Pardew seems able to take mediocre "grafters" and make them look a bit better - The ones mentioned above are good examples: Williamson, Best, Perch, Raylor.

Give him someone with talent though, and he's fucked. Hasn't got a clue what to do with them, how to play them, how to get the best out of them. They just don't fit his philosophy or style of play.