Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cristiano Ronaldo:

''Ancelotti deserves all the credit. He has changed everything. He has changed the mentality of the players.''

As if the manager has anything to do with it. They've got Ronaldo and Bale. End of.

Cristiano Ronaldo:

''Ancelotti deserves all the credit. He has changed everything. He has changed the mentality of the players.''

As if the manager has anything to do with it. They've got Ronaldo and Bale. End of.

Disagree he has changed a few things, one of the biggest changes is Di Maria in the middle which has been a godsend for them.

Bale for all his numbers until the Barca cup final hadn't really impacted a big game to any meaningful level, its a bit short sighted to say " they have Ronaldo and Bale".

Interesting but not surprising from the Secret Footballer/Dave Kitson when asked about Moyes:

"Newcastle is the perfect club for Moyes, Ashley doesn't want to spend anymore money than he has to and Moyes has been doing that at Everton for ten years while getting the best out of the players he has, something which Pardew is failing to do. 

I have heard that the Newcastle players are absolutely fed up of the 'Pardew show', so I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyes rock up at St James at all."

Cristiano Ronaldo:

Disagree he has changed a few things, one of the biggest changes is Di Maria in the middle which has been a godsend for them.

Bale for all his numbers until the Barca cup final hadn't really impacted a big game to any meaningful level, its a bit short sighted to say " they have Ronaldo and Bale".

:laugh:

Mole give me some credit! I know!

I was mocking the whole manager is blameless movement we're seeing from a lot of Newcastle fans on Twitter etc.

Interesting that even the best player in the world feels the manager makes a difference.

Thanks for thinking so little of me Mole. Very flattering.

Interesting but not surprising from the Secret Footballer/Dave Kitson when asked about Moyes:

"Newcastle is the perfect club for Moyes, Ashley doesn't want to spend anymore money than he has to and Moyes has been doing that at Everton for ten years while getting the best out of the players he has, something which Pardew is failing to do. 

I have heard that the Newcastle players are absolutely fed up of the 'Pardew show', so I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyes rock up at St James at all."

Did Kitson play under Pardle at Reading?

Did Kitson play under Pardle at Reading?

Think Pardew left 2 months or so before Kitson arrived.

Does anybody here seriously doubt that there has to be some truth in this when the like of Gosling and Shola are starting while Marveaux and Hatem have been frozen out? Cabaye has left and Remy and Debuchy will leg it at the first opportunity. No decent footballer will waste his time playing for this fuckwit.

Cristiano Ronaldo:

:spit:

From his West Ham days, comes an extraordinary anecdote courtesy of club photographer Steve Bacon, one of several staff to dine with Pardew in a hotel before a game at Sunderland.

“When the gaffer sat down with his backroom team, deciding on his order, he asked fitness coach Tony Strudwick what he was getting – and told him he’d take it if it looked good.

“When the meals arrived, Pards said to Tony, ‘Yours looks better, I’m having that,’ and swapped plates.

“I told him you can’t just take someone else’s dinner. Pards retorted, ‘When you’re the king, you can do anything’.”

Cristiano Ronaldo:

:spit:

Wonder if Di Maria approached him about that as he's been playing there for Argentina pretty much since Sabella took over.

Tbh, can't even remember last time i watched Argentina so i wouldn't have a clue. Guessing you've seen them a fair few times, where does Messi play? Worth loading up on him for top scorer? 9/1 just looks massive considering their group.

From his West Ham days, comes an extraordinary anecdote courtesy of club photographer Steve Bacon, one of several staff to dine with Pardew in a hotel before a game at Sunderland.

“When the gaffer sat down with his backroom team, deciding on his order, he asked fitness coach Tony Strudwick what he was getting – and told him he’d take it if it looked good.

“When the meals arrived, Pards said to Tony, ‘Yours looks better, I’m having that,’ and swapped plates.

“I told him you can’t just take someone else’s dinner. Pards retorted, ‘When you’re the king, you can do anything’.”

I've read that book and the whole chapter on Pardew is brilliant. Page after page of him being a loathsome cunt and everyone hating him.

I've read that book and the whole chapter on Pardew is brilliant. Page after page of him being a loathsome cunt and everyone hating him.

I don’t like Alan Pardew. There, I’ve said it. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever known a more arrogant person in my life. We never got on from the first moment we met – and our relationship deteriorated from there. There was one occasion when I threatened to stick a fork in his hand. I was sort of joking, but there were definitely times when I felt like swinging at him. Or telling him to fork off, if you follow my drift.

Let me tell you a story. In fact, it’s called the ‘King story’ among those who were present and who believe it’s a perfect example of Pardew’s arrogance. We were staying at a hotel in the North East ahead of a game at Sunderland during Alan’s first season in charge and were about to have our Friday evening meal. The players were restricted to boiled chicken or pasta, or suchlike, whereas the rest of the West Ham party had the choice of the entire menu. I sat down with Pardew, kit manager Eddie Gillam, physiotherapist John Green and fitness coach Tony Strudwick, who now works for Manchester United and has done very well for himself. We ordered our meals and suddenly Pardew asked us all what we were having. I think Eddie said he’d gone for the chicken, while I’d chosen the steak. Pards then turned to Struds, who revealed whatever it was he’d asked for. ‘That sounds good,’ said Pards. ‘Tell you what; if yours is better than mine when it turns up, I’m having that.’ That was one of the things he’d always say: I’m having that. ‘See that bloke’s haircut? I’m having that.’ He said it all the time. Anyway, I wasn’t ‘having that’ at all. So I said, ‘Well, you’re certainly not having my dinner. You’ll get a fork in the back of your hand!’ Pardew sort of laughed, before turning back to Struds and saying, ‘Yeah, if yours is better than mine, I’m having that.’ Our meals eventually arrived and Pards looked at Tony and said, ‘Yeah, I was right, yours definitely looks much better than mine; I’m having that.’ And he went to swap the plates over. ‘You can’t do that!’ I said. ‘What do you mean?’ he asked. ‘You can’t just take somebody else’s dinner,’ I said in disbelief. And he replied, without any hint of a joke, ‘When you’re the King, you can do anything.’ Eddie, Tony, John and I just looked at each other and there was an uncomfortable silence for a moment. Struds was a nice guy but he could be a bit of a ‘yes man’ at times and so he just allowed Pardew to swap the plates. However, the rest of us were flabbergasted by it all and we ended up discussing what had happened in the bar. Alan kept a straight face when referring to himself as ‘the King’ and I just couldn’t believe the arrogance of the man. By sheer coincidence, our next away game was at Reading, Alan’s former club. Eddie and I took the team’s gear down to the Madejski Stadium before the game and one of the girls from the office came out and said, ‘Hello, how are you getting on with Alan Pardew?’ We just mumbled, ‘Yes, okay, you know…’ We were putting the kit out in the dressing room when a member of the Reading backroom staff popped his head in and asked, ‘So, how are you boys getting on with the King?’ We burst into laughter. We couldn’t believe that Alan had also used that term at Reading. ‘Yeah,’ the guy said, ‘he always used to call himself the King.’ From that moment on, that’s how the West Ham backroom team began to jokingly refer to Pards behind his back. ‘Seen the King yet today?’

We played Forest on the Wednesday evening and my usual routine before a home game would involve taking the young mascots into the dressing room to photograph them with some of the players. The kids were getting some autographs and I was just having a quick chat with Tim De’Ath, the club chef, who’d been sorting out the energy foods for the players, when Alan Pardew suddenly appeared and said, in quite a nasty way, ‘I’m not used to seeing photographers in my dressing room.’ ‘Oh really?’ I said. ‘I’m very sorry. Would you like me to leave?’ Alan proceeded to spend a short time pretending to think and then answered, ‘Yes, very soon I think.’ Where’s a fork when you need one? He couldn’t even ask me to leave the room nicely. He could have simply said, ‘Steve, when you’re finished, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t hang around the dressing room.’ But no, he had to be nasty and sarcastic about it. I subsequently heard that Pardew had said a similar thing to Ges Steinbergs, the club doctor. The manager questioned his presence and Ges made the point that he wasn’t there for the fun of it but because he might be needed. It might have been that Pardew was trying to mark his territory because it was his first game in charge, but it seemed a funny way of trying to win friends and influence people. His attitude really annoyed me, to be honest. He showed no respect and that set the tone for our relationship – or lack of one.

Alan was very big on the psychology side of sport. I was told that he had a motivational CD that he would listen to in his car on the way into work. He was into all that sort of thing. One of the craziest things I heard was that he thought claret was a negative colour. He couldn’t understand why everything was claret and blue. They’re the club’s colours, for goodness’ sake! We found ourselves faced with a ridiculous scenario in which the manager started putting up mottos around the walls of the training ground and the stadium. There were quotes from icons such as Muhammad Ali and Martin Luther King. (That’ll be the other King then, I suppose.) Some of the lads would say, ‘I don’t know what that fucking means. I can’t even read it, let alone understand it.’ Don Hutchison, for example, could often be heard moaning, ‘What the fuck does that mean?’

Pardew got off to a slow start at West Ham, having to wait until his eighth game before tasting victory, but he took the team to a fourth-place finish that saw us qualify for the promotion play-offs. Brian Deane scored a last-minute equaliser in the final league game at Wigan Athletic and I just knew that we’d shot ourselves in the foot. That goal – one that we didn’t even need to score – pushed Wigan out of the play-off positions and elevated Crystal Palace, who we would eventually meet in the final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. Everybody sensed that Palace were going to get the better of us – and so it proved, as they won the prize of promotion thanks to Neil Shipperley’s second-half strike. And they had West Ham to thank for getting them into the play-offs in the first place! What Pardew thought he was doing when he withdrew strikers Bobby Zamora, Marlon Harewood and David Connolly as we were chasing the game in the last twenty-five minutes I don’t know. But his strange strategy didn’t work and the word ‘king’ was certainly in my mind as the final whistle blew – ’king useless!

One of my great allies had gone by this stage: physiotherapist John Green. John was certainly not a ‘yes man’ and I know that he didn’t get on with Alan Pardew. From my understanding of the situation, Pards would ask John for his medical opinion on a player and if he didn’t get the answer he was looking for he’d often discount what John had said. John would insist, ‘I’m the professional here and I’m telling you that he shouldn’t play.’ He’d be at loggerheads with the manager for much of the time. When it came down to it, John was too strong a character for Pardew and I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised by his eventual departure. Somebody at the club leaked an email to John that confirmed his days at West Ham were numbered, with Pardew saying he wanted him out come what may. I think that helped John when it came to negotiating his settlement. It seemed a strange thing to happen because John was one of the most respected and qualified physios in the game.

Of course, the best thing the new owners did – at least as far as I’m concerned – was getting rid of Alan Pardew as manager. Eggy had initially declared his backing for Pards, who was really struggling with the side in the early part of the 2006/07 season. The top-half finish and the run to the FA Cup final seemed a distant memory as the Hammers lost an unprecedented eight games in succession, dropping into the relegation zone, crashing out of Europe (with defeat against Palermo in the first round of the UEFA Cup) and suffering embarrassment in the Carling Cup against lowly Chesterfield. Tévez and Mascherano were struggling to start games and there was a general feeling of disharmony in the camp. The Hammers improved a little and managed to pick up a few decent results, including that 1-0 win against Arsenal, but a 4-0 defeat at Bolton proved to be the final nail in the coffin as far as Pardew’s job was concerned. Just two days later the manager was handed his P45 and I have to admit that I was delighted. John Green had always said we’d have a big party on the day Pardew left the club. I sent him a text when I heard the news and he replied with a message that said, ‘Party on!’ There has been plenty of speculation about why Magnússon chose to fire Pardew as manager. I read that Eggy said he had ‘reasons’ that he wanted to keep to himself, but it just seemed that the more he got to know about Pards the less inclined he felt to keep him. The results at that time certainly didn’t help Alan’s cause and he didn’t seem as popular with some of the players as he had done. I think the success of the previous two seasons – the promotion, the top-half finish and the FA Cup final – had gone to Pardew’s head a little and some of the players thought he was getting a bit too flash for their liking. I remember when the club had their victory parade to celebrate promotion in 2005 and the players appeared on the balcony of the West Stand overlooking the forecourt at Upton Park. Don Hutchison was standing behind Pardew and when the manager went out to address the crowd – as if he was the Messiah – the midfielder started shouting, ‘Chocolate! Chocolate!’ I asked Hutch what he’d been on about and he said that Pardew loved himself so much that ‘if he was made of chocolate, he’d have eaten himself’. The team had just won promotion yet some of the players were quite literally laughing at the manager behind his back.

One thing that certainly didn’t make me laugh was when Pardew produced his ‘Moore than a football club’ T-shirt towards the end of his first season at the club. I thought that was a disgrace. As far as I was concerned, Pardew had no right to bring Bobby Moore’s name into things because he wasn’t a West Ham man himself. I saw it as a cheap trick and felt sure it was going to backfire on him, which I think in the end it did really since I suspect that people recognised the cynicism of it.

When he’d gone to Charlton Athletic, shortly after leaving West Ham, a newspaper story emerged that suggested a director at The Valley believed Alan Pardew to be one of the most arrogant men he’d ever met in his life. I scanned the headline, used Photoshop to highlight ‘the most arrogant man I’ve ever met’ and emailed it to everyone I knew, adding, ‘You heard it here first!’ I’ve since heard that he’s ‘gunning’ for me after I was critical of him in an interview for a book about former West Ham managers. He bumped into Tim De’Ath at a game and asked if I was about. Tim was quick to say, ‘No, you stopped all that, didn’t you?’ And Pards said, ‘Well, tell him I’m gunning for him over that book.’ Surely he’s got more important things to worry about than what I think of him? Given that Charlton and then Southampton both sacked him, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t surprised by how well Pardew has done as manager of Newcastle United (taking them to fifth place in the Premier League in 2012 and winning the Barclays and LMA Manager of the Year awards). Mind you, I think that goes for most people, since many thought he was extremely lucky to land that position. I also find it hard to believe that he was linked with the England job following the resignation of Fabio Capello. But at the end of the day, it’s not his football credentials that concern me. I just don’t like the man.

Guest antz1uk

Where does this P45DUE come from? And what does it mean?  :o

your p45 is what you get when you leave a job in uk, to hand over to your next job/tax man.... however in newspaper pun it looks like p45dew.. also