Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yeah that's exactly what I was going to say Marc. Some people think "the club" (in terms of their affiliation) is defined by the owners/chairman/employees and devote themselves to that idea. Me personally, the club is more abstract than that, it's defined more in terms of pride in the city and the history of those that have gone before. Mine's a bit more along the lines of SBR's idea of a club.

Giving free reign and assigning infallibility to anybody, be it player, manager or owner just because they happen to have a salaried job in an business that you feel close to is unbelievably stupid, they've got to earn that right to be accepted by the fans imo.

Guest Dontooner

There's a lot of people who are too loyal to the club. They won't hear a word said against it and the people who represent it. They've got no good reason to do it other than just blind devotion and can make themselves sound ridiculous when doing so.

They think they're an asset to the club but they're the type of fans that are the problem imo. Just putting up with any old s****, buying the shirts and tickets out of nothing but a misguided sense of loyalty. Unfortunately these are the same type of people who complete the Chronicle's spunky survey...

I see no wrong in loyalty to the club, they can still spend if they enjoy the experience. However that being said , being a fan of football before being a fan of the club precedes my logic.

Seemingly that the fans at the ground are not vocal about the horrible football. I assume they just go to Newcastle games and have most of their knowledge from being a loyal supporter.

I find it hard to criticise the fans too much for a bit of optimism, as far as I remember it's how football always has been. A majority of the fans are never going to dissect things like we do on here, they're going to be influenced by short-term things like signings. And even just the start of a new season.

In fact I think it's a good thing in a lot of ways, at least they can get some enjoyment out of NUFC.

Optimism is all well and good and I dare say it's a natural instinct for any fan. In spite of everything, we're all still suffering from at least an ember of optimism, it's why we still involve ourselves within the club to whatever minuscule or significant degree. For example, only today I got a fleeting glimpse of us lifting the Carling Cup. I know it's impossible though and the thought was gone as quickly as it arrived.

'Optimism' was the wrong word to use in that last post; it's people defaulting to blinkered devotion purely because we've made a few signings - essentially forgetting the fact we lost six games in a row and all the other shit that's too numerous to mention - which is what has me absolutely baffled. They're not even convincing signings, man.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we've made signings. But considering we haven't made one since I grew my first pube and have binned 7 or 8 squad members in 2014 (including our three best in Cabaye, Debuchy and HBA), I see what business we've done as the bare fucking minimum. It's coming back home with our tail between our legs, not the progressive triumph it's being championed as. We've signed players because it was absolutely fucking necessary.

To be absolutely ecstatic with the summer business, and to have even partly erased the shitdoings from memory is lunacy, imo. It sounds arrogant as fuck because I'm basically saying "my opinion is right and I will not tolerate anything else", but I honestly don't know what planet these people are on.

Optimism is an involuntary reflex that twitches every time we've not seen football for a while. Ignoring the blatantly obvious, on the other hand, is just stupidity and asking for a hiding. For what it's worth, I think we'll finish about 10th again.

Why is it such a sin to want to see attractive football and results at what is, still, one of the biggest clubs in the country?

I've read so many journalists and fans alike referencing the more attractive football we've played this preseason -- how fucking low are the standards for attractive football now? We still look scared shitless to try and control a game, even against teams against whom we should be asserting possessional superiority. We once again have to rely on a talisman to provide moments of magic; otherwise, we are as functional as it comes. Utterly bland.

It isn't wrong to want to watch something entertaining. Football is supposed to be fun. Watching it certainly shouldn't be a chore. Self-defeating and self-limiting bullshit has turned a lot of our fans into sad mouthpieces for an even sadder regime.

Everton don't even look to spend reasonably. :lol: Everton have spent nothing more than the giant truck full of cash that Sky parked outside their ground, after years of penny pinching. That's perfectly reasonable.

About £20m of ther spending this summer was player sales the previous year. They are trousering the TV cash too

"But look at them buying Lukaku, where'd they get the money from?!"

Expect our fans to be told how we can't grumble at all. Know your place.

Guest firetotheworks

I know it's not the place but what do you make of the Lukaku signing, Neil?

THIS IS NOT THE PLACE.

Also, what a boring fucking existence it is "aiming" for 7th, 8th, whatever. If you only cared about league position, save yourself the frustration, anger, disbelief, joy, heartache of a 38 game season, and just pop along in May to see how your team did.

Football is about seeing your team get at teams, entertain, look to get somewhere. They may fall short but if football is simply about finishing in a mid table position and being pleased with it, then sign me out.

Also, what a boring f***ing existence it is "aiming" for 7th, 8th, whatever. If you only cared about league position, save yourself the frustration, anger, disbelief, joy, heartache of a 38 game season, and just pop along in May to see how your team did.

Football is about seeing your team get at teams, entertain, look to get somewhere. They may fall short but if football is simply about finishing in a mid table position and being pleased with it, then sign me out.

Realistically, I can't see us win the league. I would be happy with entertaining football, winning the derbies and ending somewhere outside relegation zone with the occasional cup run/trophy. Progressing as a club is a bit difficult if you don't take any chances. And this current regime doesn't look like risking any more money than needed to keep us in the league. That is why respectable managers will not come here and this is why we will stay in the mid table for the foreseeable future.

Mark Douglas was saying his targets were pretty high - Finish 8th and play good football.

Whether there's any truth in that is another matter like...

That should be the absolutely minimum we should achieve nevermind being 'pretty high'.

:thup:

Guest Dontooner

Mark Douglas was saying his targets were pretty high - Finish 8th and play good football.

Whether there's any truth in that is another matter like...

That should be the absolutely minimum we should achieve nevermind being 'pretty high'.

Says the same s*** every year, only the foolish will lap up.

Many foolish Newcastle fans apparently.

As compared to the clubs who win on a consistent basis our fans really lack knowledge and taste when it comes down to football. Quite surprise how much we could take from Ashley and company and still we fill the stadium.

Guess "We are stuck with the abusive boyfriend situation since he took your virginity" asking for a change needs alot of courage and is lacking.