Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Funnily enough the disgraceful lack of ambition from the top seems quite prevalent amongst the fans these days. Every opponent is very difficult, we can't expect to dominate matches, we can't afford this player or those wages etc etc. Every other word is can't, won't, shouldn't. Where's the hope? Why can't we strive to be better? Isn't that the whole point of sport?

f*** Ashley and all of his horrible cronies past and present, including Pardew. This regime stinks.

I think we are tbh. Now that said, we're not doing it by throwing the owners cash at it (he just won't) but we are a big club and our means (even if only marginally exploited) are better than most but it will be a long process.

There isn't a magic bullet solution, Spurs just spent £90 Million and they're below us, now they may very well end up above us but they fucking should do given the spend.

As for the regime, couldn't care less who owns us or what they do/say, so long as we get better on the pitch and this season we are appearing to do just that.

The current league table would suggest our "average" manager, which he is along with most others, is doing OK (or above average) enjoy it while it lasts. It could be a step in the right direction (the first of many hopefully) or it could be another peak before a trough, there's no scientific formula for "success".

'appearing just to do that'? Our ownership have time and again shafted the fans. I agree its improving but's that's some pretty short term retrospect based on four admittedly brilliant results.

As for the regime, couldn't care less who owns us or what they do/say, so long as we get better on the pitch and this season we are appearing to do just that.

If we won the league Ashley would still be a prick and i'd want rid of him.

Respect for fans, tradition, players, the game, professionalism, the opposition......just any respect for anything really is sorely missing at the top of our club.

Good to see Pards trying to get expectations under control after a few wins. I seen a lot of people on here demanding we should dominate teams for 90 minutes and smash them for 4 and 5 :lol: it's literally mental! Every game is a tough game in this league and most teams have more resources than us too. All we can do is hope that Pards keeps this run going.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

I think you've missed the point, then. I don't see anyone truly demanding that, but it would be nice to be comfortable for 90 minutes, especially when the opportunity presents itself like it has in the last two games (and the Mackems) (and countless others in the past couple of years).

Good to see Pards trying to get expectations under control after a few wins. I seen a lot of people on here demanding we should dominate teams for 90 minutes and smash them for 4 and 5 :lol: it's literally mental! Every game is a tough game in this league and most teams have more resources than us too. All we can do is hope that Pards keeps this run going.

I think you've missed the point, then. I don't see anyone truly demanding that, but it would be nice to be comfortable for 90 minutes, especially when the opportunity presents itself like it has in the last two games (and the Mackems) (and countless others in the past couple of years).

HF quoted someone who demanded we smash teams more comfortably just at the end of the last Pards thread - he can't directly quote everyone but rest assured that this has been happening. It's literally mental! Genuinely unbelievable!

Personally I think the club is in the best shape it's been in, both on and off the pitch, for 10 years or so.

I think it would have been easier to find a buyer that would pay the asking price prior to Ashley arriving than it would be now.

The size of the debt now puts us in a situation that cannot be corrected without massive sums of investment that dwarf Ashley's.

The problems back then were a ballooning wage bill and the resulting loans/interest which added to a growing debt.  But the debt was half of what it is now and could be nipped in the bud with cost cutting... Ashley implemented those cuts, but too harshly, leading to relegation and exacerbated losses.

Maybe in 10 years, if we pay off debt at the rate he has over the past couple of years, we'll be back to a more attractive prospect off the pitch.

Funnily enough the disgraceful lack of ambition from the top seems quite prevalent amongst the fans these days. Every opponent is very difficult, we can't expect to dominate matches, we can't afford this player or those wages etc etc. Every other word is can't, won't, shouldn't. Where's the hope? Why can't we strive to be better? Isn't that the whole point of sport?

f*** Ashley and all of his horrible cronies past and present, including Pardew. This regime stinks.

I think we are tbh. Now that said, we're not doing it by throwing the owners cash at it (he just won't) but we are a big club and our means (even if only marginally exploited) are better than most but it will be a long process.

There isn't a magic bullet solution, Spurs just spent £90 Million and they're below us, now they may very well end up above us but they f***ing should do given the spend.

The current league table would suggest our "average" manager, which he is along with most others, is doing OK (or above average) enjoy it while it lasts. It could be a step in the right direction (the first of many hopefully) or it could be another peak before a trough, there's no scientific formula for "success".

'appearing just to do that'? Our ownership have time and again shafted the fans. I agree its improving but's that's some pretty short term retrospect based on four admittedly brilliant results.

I would disagree on the bold bit, unless of course some of the lowest ticket prices in the division is "shafting the fans" and to be honest ticket price is in reality the ONLY real shafting opportunity (apart from replica kit but they all play that game) all else is hot air. No fans I associate with (who also don't frequent message boards btw) feel shafted tbh. thoroughly perplexed at times, oh aye definitely.

On the short termism, as I said above hopefully it's a sign of steps in the right direction, it may not be, but here's hoping eh ?

There isn't a magic bullet solution, Spurs just spent £90 Million and they're below us, now they may very well end up above us but they f***ing should do given the spend.

I would disagree on the bold bit, unless of course some of the lowest ticket prices in the division is "shafting the fans" and to be honest ticket price is in reality the ONLY real shafting opportunity (apart from replica kit but they all play that game) all else is hot air. No fans I associate with (who also don't frequent message boards btw) feel shafted tbh. thoroughly perplexed at times, oh aye definitely.

On the short termism, as I said above hopefully it's a sign of steps in the right direction, it may not be, but here's hoping eh ?

At the end of the day - all we can do is hope.

The Mackems?

It was their new manager's home debut and their fans and team were massively up for it.  Their previous showing for their new manager had been as bad as ours against the mackems at home the year before and they were looking to react to that on top of the awful start that had preceded it..

Everything about that game pointed to a reaction from them that we would have to weather and the mackems went at us with massive energy from the first whistle and had us under the kosh for half an hour.

How was it an opportunity to be comfortable for 90 minutes?

Take a blanket.

The Mackems?

It was their new manager's home debut and their fans and team were massively up for it.  Their previous showing for their new manager had been as bad as ours against the mackems at home the year before and they were looking to react to that on top of the awful start that had preceded it..

Everything about that game pointed to a reaction from them that we would have to weather and the mackems went at us with massive energy from the first whistle and had us under the kosh for half an hour.

Were they bottom of the league at the time?

But your right, I agree with the stuff you said, just trying to give a balanced view.

Take a blanket.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:thup:

You not spoke to anyone pissed off about the away ticket situation?  Being forced to pay for a membership or  to move from their seats? 

Respect for fans, tradition, players, the game, professionalism, the opposition......just any respect for anything really is sorely missing at the top of our club.

Just win baby (as Al Davis was prone to saying) it's all that matters.

If you hanker after respect and tradition in todays "game" you'll be hugely disappointed methinks. That's a today's football thing not an Ashley specific preserve. It could be nicer definitely but it's not all important (to me anyway). I hate the modern game and what it's become WAY more than Ashley but am resigned to it.

Ashley is undoubtedly a prick (or worse tbh) BUT most successful types like him are, if his success rubs off (no matter how nefariously arrived at) he can stay forever for me (and I would guess most others if that ever happened) success is a great leveller.

At the end of the day - all we can do is hope.

Yep

all this we need easy wins, comfortable wins , we should be winning by more is total bollox.

Man utd under fergie have gone through season after season where they would grind out results at home without dominating sides,

Ive watched many of these games. They just kept plugging away and kept on winning, games and titles. I doubt Fergie (or let any of his players) go into any games expecting to win them. 

Yet us who have never won a pot to piss in are making hard work of a 4 game winning run and 6th in the league.

all this we need easy wins, comfortable wins , we should be winning by more is total bollox.

Man utd under fergie have gone through season after season where they would grind out results at home without dominating sides,

Ive watched many of these games. They just kept plugging away and kept on winning, games and titles. I doubt Fergie (or let any of his players) go into any games expecting to win them. 

Yet us who have never won a pot to piss in are making hard work of a 4 game winning run and 6th in the league.

Basically.

The Mackems?

I'll have to backtrack here and say that my post was badly worded. To rephrase, 'it would be nice to be comfortable for 90 minutes and/or be comfortable once the opportunity has presented itself during a game'.

The latter part of that sentence refers to examples like the Mackem game. Once we equalised against them, it took the wind out of their sails and a victory looked extremely attainable (dare I say 'likely', at least for 10 minutes). However, the overriding negative attitude throughout the squad and manager - at the time - combated any tangible likelihood of a victory, and we ended up with nothing. An outcome that should never have happened once Debuchy equalised. Regardless of any gusto they had on the back of a new managerial appointment, the game was level and we had the initiative. It was a despicable result.

Situations like that - where we're too nervous or conservative to take the game by the scruff - can be compared to us sitting back once we're in front. Sometimes we'll still nick a result, and I dare say - with the balanced and steely nature of our current set-up - we'll win more than we'll lose. But, without negating the four tremendous results we've just had, it's something I would like to see change now we have some momentum and more confidence. There's no need to elicit 50,000 cardiac arrests when we're 2-0 up against Norwich.

You not spoke to anyone p*ssed off about the away ticket situation?  Being forced to pay for a membership or  to move from their seats? 

None of the above is "shafting" tbh

Not many of those I know go away (in fact only about 5% of match-going fans do) the seat move stuff has happened before, membership cost is more than covered by lower prices at home for those games, taking your seat away would be shafting, moving you isn't. You may not like it but you still get in.

Just win baby (as Al Davis was prone to saying) it's all that matters.

If you hanker after respect and tradition in todays "game" you'll be hugely disappointed methinks. That's a today's football thing not an Ashley specific preserve. It could be nicer definitely but it's not all important (to me anyway). I hate the modern game and what it's become WAY more than Ashley but am resigned to it.

Ashley is undoubtedly a prick (or worse tbh) BUT most successful types like him are, if his success rubs off (no matter how nefariously arrived at) he can stay forever for me (and I would guess most others if that ever happened) success is a great leveller.

We've never won owt in my life.  It's never been why I follow football and i won't miss it if it never happens before I die.

You not spoke to anyone p*ssed off about the away ticket situation?  Being forced to pay for a membership or  to move from their seats? 

Not many of those I know go away (in fact only about 5% of match-going fans do) the seat move stuff has happened before, membership cost is more than covered by lower prices at home for those games, taking your seat away would be shafting, moving you isn't. You may not like it but you still get in.

So it literally has to be an example of Ashley anally raping a fan?

You what? :lol:

I didn't expect you to be silly tbh.

Shafting (in the non-sexual sense) = defrauding, he doesn't/hasn't done that (no more than football fans are ripped off anywhere else).

He's upset a few, granted, but they ain't been shafted.