Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's survived 3 derby defeats in a row, dragging the best squad we've had in years in to a relegation battle, a 6-0 humping at home, broke defeats, no goals, most goals conceded records all over the shop.

Getting beat off villa won't change owt, just adds to the home run from hell which will be forgotten about in the summer when Ashley counts his money .

One of Pardew's biggest failings has been his inability to improve players.

If the club's policy is to buy cheap and sell high, then they are struggling with that. 

I would have thought Ashley would have serious concerns about the lack of development in the talented players we have.

Ben Arfa was supposed to be the "crown jewels" and now people are saying we would be lucky to get £5m for him when the club would have been expecting £20m+.

Several other players have not kicked on as expected e.g. Santon, Sissoko, MYM and Cisse.  OK the exception was Cabaye but last season, he didn't look like a £20m player.

When Ashley has reduced the club's potential for increasing revenue to just the TV money and player sales, he has a major problem if one of those areas is not working.  I could imagine that he is looking to sell at least one player for a big profit each year to fund transfers and there's only been Carroll so far and now Cabaye.

If the players are genuinely disillusioned with Pardew and there were also rumours of that being the case last season as well, Ashley will need to act.

I have been hanging my hat on this for over a year now. I'm just surprised Ashley hasn't acted already. Tiote went from a £15m player to one many on here would have been glad to get shot of for £3m last season. I can see Sissoko going the same way.

In my opinion the media are on to him now. Last year he had the excuse of the top 5 finished the season before and the Europa league. This year loads of managers have gone and the media need to pressure someone else, our results are slipping with plenty of tough fixtures yet to come, easy target.

This could be good news for us, I mean maybe now our regular fans start getting on his back as well, it may also panic Ashley in to the thought that he risks losing his investments if the club keeps dropping league places.

Guest tollemache

tbh if we finish 8th or 9th then, looking at the teams above us, the media will probably conclude, rightly, that we did OK. Everton and Southampton overperformed a bit, Spurs, Liverpool, the Manchesters and Chelsea have way better sides / squads.

tbh if we finish 8th or 9th then, looking at the teams above us, the media will probably conclude, rightly, that we did OK. Everton and Southampton overperformed a bit, Spurs, Liverpool, the Manchesters and Chelsea have way better sides / squads.

Absolute bollocks.

Who gives a shit what the media conclude? I've got the Sunday Supplement recorded but I'll be deleting it without watching. If I want to listen to clueless nonsense about football I'd start a discussion with the wife.

Guest tollemache

An interesting point, and deftly made, but they bloody will

Arsenal

Man City

Man Utd

Chelsea

Liverpool

Spurs

What sensible neutral would suggest we'd probably finish above any of them? 7th would've been the most optimistic prediction you could reasonably have mustered at the start of the season. Southampton and Everton each had incredible runs, so that puts us in a fight for the places between 7th and 9th. C'est comme ça. Which of those sides do you think we're stronger than?

Absolute bollocks.

Bollocks indeed. A: the media have got the knives out for him - he treated them arrogantly when the going was good and he's since colluded in the local paper ban, so he has zero leeway with them now. B: finishing eighth or ninth with the quality of players he has and no Europa League to contend with is - at very best -  the absolute least he could be expected to do.

Guest tollemache

Absolute bollocks.

Bollocks indeed. A: the media have got the knives out for him - he treated them arrogantly when the going was good and he's since colluded in the local paper ban, so he has zero leeway with them now. B: finishing eighth or ninth with the quality of players he has and no Europa League to contend with is - at very best -  the absolute least he could be expected to do.

I think it's about exactly what he could be expected to do, i.e; to drop below 9th would represent a bit of a let-down and to break into the top 6 would mean we'd out-performed a stronger team. 8th or 9th doesn't sound great but when you look at the teams above us and the money they've spent to be there, it's our natural level - for now. I'm not saying we should be content with it in the long term, that we shouldn't spend, or any of that, which is a whole other discussion. Just that, right now, we are about the 7th, 8th or 9th strongest side in the league in terms of personnel so finishing somewhere in those places should neither be a surprise or a huge disappointment.

Guest tollemache

If we sack Pardew, we'll be in the bottom 4 this time next season apparently  :lol:

Based on what? These guys are ridiculous.

Yeah that is fucking insane. If I had to guess where we'd be if we sacked Pardew I'd say, oooh, 8th.

If we sack Pardew, we'll be in the bottom 4 this time next season apparently  :lol:

Probably based on this time last season when we were in the bottom five. Er, wait a minute...

Guest tollemache

Probably based on this time last season when we were in the bottom five. Er, wait a minute...

what are they actually basing it on? I'm in Croatia, can't watch