Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Haris Vuckic

What a ridiculous week that was.

Lose to West Brom.

Sack Hughton.

Appoint Pardew.

Beat Liverpool.

I remember watching Barton and Nolan on ESPN.

''How much of this is down to the new manager''

Barton ''Well, pretty much nothing, he's only been here a day or two''

What a ridiculous week that was.

Lose to West Brom.

Sack Hughton.

Appoint Pardew.

Beat Liverpool.

I remember watching Barton and Nolan on ESPN.

''How much of this is down to the new manager''

Barton ''Well, pretty much nothing, he's only been here a day or two''

Aye. :laugh: Barton dedicated his champers to Hughton in that same interview.

3 years and he's only just told our players to play possession football, better late than never and for me one of the highlights of the weekend.

I keep trying to look if we are better throughout the club in that time. Things that appear to have changed:

- We use the loan system more now (Dummet, Sammy, Tav, Vuckic, Newton)

- A number of young players closer to first team (Sammy, Dummet)

- Squad on paper is a lot stronger

- There is a togetherness there and we appear to have good spirits

Downsides

- He really hasn't adopted a style to be used throughout the team never mind club

- Youth and Reserve teams still appear to not be producing many players

see brett, told you we had a twatting coming :lol:

can't get over it man, the teams we've seen go there and fail miserably my entire life and pardew is the one to break the hoodoo

:lol: Unbelievable, can't say I was surprised that we beat them because I felt this team is capable of it but the manner in which we beat them totally took me by surprise.

I have said people are fools if they think we can only play one style of football or one formation. There is more to this team and Pardew than that. I genuinely think that result will have turned a few peoples heads and start getting them believing again. No easy game against Southampton but you can't not fancy us to take all 3 points. We couldn't have dreamed of a better start really, couple of low points but far outweighed by the highs.

Guest firetotheworks

:lol:

You're precious sometimes like. From your perspective that was a performance that took you by surprise. The only thing that I was surprised by was that it was against Man United away and that Pardew finally got us to win the game through retaining possession.

A lot of people have being saying for quite a while that that's what those players are capable of and how we should be playing most of the time, instead of resigning posession and sitting on slender leads.

You're precious sometimes like. From your perspective that was a performance that took you by surprise. The only thing that I was surprised by was that it was against Man United away and that Pardew finally got us to win the game through retaining possession.

A lot of people have being saying for quite a while that that's what those players are capable of and how we should be playing most of the time, instead of resigning posession and sitting on slender leads.

:thup: Throughout the match, and with all of Man U's futile attempt at getting an equalizer, I always thought if there was going to be a second goal in the match it would be us getting it. Never looked in doubt tbh. I didn't feel as nervous as I did in the last few minutes against Norwich or WBA, the reason being the point you make in the bolded paragraph.

At the start of the season I was willing to give him 12 game weeks to prove himself after the shambles that was last season. Guess it's fair to say he took his chance and then some. Well done Pardew, keep up the good work.. :clap:

Edit: to add, two seasons ago in our fifth place season it was evident that Pardew became more adventurous when the threath of relegation was no longer present. Last season, as we kept lingering in the bottom half, he kept it conservative as he is a coward at heart and we suffered as a result. Now, it looks like we are virtually safe with over half the season still to go. I'm really looking forward to Pardew trusting his players more and more and giving them the freedom to play. We could be set for a(nother) really good season..

It took me by surprise because I felt we could win with another Chelsea type performance. Be organised and grow into the game as it went on. I thought that's how we would approach it but Pardew once again completely took his opposing manager by surprise with a different game plan and approach. First class stuff.

Guest firetotheworks

It took me by surprise because I felt we could win with another Chelsea type performance. Be organised and grow into the game as it went on. I thought that's how we would approach it but Pardew once again completely took his opposing manager by surprise with a different game plan and approach. First class stuff.

Keeping possession and attacking the opponent as much as possible? It's a plan that will work on most occassions like. That's the first time we've done it since the arse end of 11/12. It's what we've been crying cyber tears for. If anything it's the best example of why it works most of the time.

If it works against Man United away, it'll work against most teams at home.

Guest firetotheworks

Where did anyone say that that's what was happening? Or that retaining possession was easy at all, in any preconceived capacity? Nowhere, that's where.

All depends though, some managers play the exact same way regardless of opposition like Wenger but then Jose will look at each game individually and might change things up. I understand people saying 'I told you so' that our game was won on the back of their desire to play that way, but Pardew is showing different tactics and variation to our game and so far it's proven effective. Let's stick with how things are going and get behind him, then see where he takes us rather than try and shoot him down at any given opportunity.

Where did anyone say that that's what was happening? Or that retaining possession was easy at all, in any preconceived capacity? Nowhere, that's where.

I maybe wrong, but your post suggested to me your previous complaints weren't a matter of trying and failing to play possession based football, but a conscious decision not to play it by Pardew?

Guest firetotheworks

No one is doing that. I'm happy with that performance on Saturday. It is exactly what I've been looking for, for ages. Aye, of course it doesn't work in every instance, but a fundamental, simple, effective part of football is to actively keep the football and attack.

Until Saturday, I saw us do it against most teams in dribs and drabs, but we were then happy to defend and defend defend. I don't think that works, nor do I in any way want to watch us do it unless it's absolutely necessary.

All depends though, some managers play the exact same way regardless of opposition like Wenger but then Jose will look at each game individually and might change things up. I understand people saying 'I told you so' that our game was won on the back of their desire to play that way, but Pardew is showing different tactics and variation to our game and so far it's proven effective. Let's stick with how things are going and get behind him, then see where he takes us rather than try and shoot him down at any given opportunity.

Or we just take you behind the sheds and beat you with pick-axe handles for a few hours.

Guest firetotheworks

I maybe wrong, but your post suggested to me your previous complaints weren't a matter of trying and failing to play possession based football, but a conscious decision not to play it by Pardew?

I believe that he hasn't been concerned with us keeping possession, but nor do I think that the change has happened with something as simple as saying 'keep the ball more'

The system changed, the intent changed, we didn't sit back, we put pressure on the ball high up the pitch. Things changed, I just hope that it's an outlook that will become a larger part of the way we play. It's not always about being dynamic. Sometimes it's about the opponents needing to be dynamic to defend against us.