Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

http://replygif.net/i/1118.gif

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/1f/1f413599e442cfb451e3e6fa4062f9be41546cf53f1c854986b5325fd706bbac.jpg

30 points before Christmas. Great job  :thup:

Yep. I've not been happy with some of the performances against the poorer sides but when you look at how we utterly outclassed Palace today I think that view explains itself. We can play excellent, attacking football and Pardew should take credit for that. We're just too negative too often, needlessly.

But yeah, you can't argue with our points tally at this point. :indi:

Good post Dave, I agree with what you are saying here.

Could have had another three this half, and the first genuinely comfortable win we've had in fucking ages.

Well done Pardew. :thup:

It's funny that we were discussing that Portsmouth 3-0 in the relegation season was our last big away PL win the other day.

Same time of the year too iirc.

Could have had another three this half, and the first genuinely comfortable win we've had in fucking ages.

It's funny that we were discussing that Portsmouth 3-0 in the relegation season was our last big away PL win the other day.

14th December. Owen's birthday.

Guest Roger Kint

14th December. Owen's birthday.

Aye a stupidly early ko for a Sunday game

30 points before Christmas. Great job  :thup:

Yep. I've not been happy with some of the performances against the poorer sides but when you look at how we utterly outclassed Palace today I think that view explains itself. We can play excellent, attacking football and Pardew should take credit for that. We're just too negative too often, needlessly.

But yeah, you can't argue with our points tally at this point. :indi:

Aye, all of this, basically.

Frustrates the feck out of me when we're so negative if we take the lead, especially at home...but, there are enough positives for me to live with the frustration!  :D

"Palace have their tails up and it's a sweet feeling. I don't think many will come here and win 3-0."

He's spot on there. They are a poor side but they are very capable of grinding out results and making life tough for you. We did superbly well to make that as comfortable as it was given their recent revival. Feels nice just to have 90 minutes of controlled football under our belt. Hopefully we can have these games more often.

I'm not sure they are that capable of grinding out results tbh, they are poor, but we gave them very few chances, dominated possession and punished them, perfect away performance.

dunno only other time they conceded 3 or more was vs Liverpool and Fulham (which was a fluke) so they're not a side that easily gets hammered and Everton only got a draw there.

Really thought beforehand it would be a scrappy draw after their performance vs Chelsea where they were unlucky

Really hope he doesn;t play Shola versus Stoke instead of Tiote

I think he probably will tbh - seems to like 2 up top at home.

Overall think he deserves great credit for the situation we're in - seems to be working on his previous weaknesses too, which is a positive sign.

I thought he was in danger of making the usual mess of things at half time, and the Shola sub was a daft one, but once we got Ben Arfa on it got us back on track. Some of the football was lovely as well, although we are missing something up front, and all the supply is coming down the right hand side where Moussa and Debuchy are a real threat.

Some of our passing today was a million lightyears better than last season. We also hoofed a bit especially early on, but have to credit him that he actually can get us playing like that. He's still frustratingly cautious, slow to change the game up, still seems to largely be reactive tactically but he has settled us down after a strange inconsistent start, and got us a lot of momentum. The team look like a team and have gelled.

I still think he has the wrong set of characteristics for tough times, but credit where it's due, I didn't think he could turn us back into a good team again and he has. The only shame is one suspects is a lack of ambition to kick on from this and try and stay in the top 5, I can really see us strangely capitulating on teh last day to avoid the europa league or something (albeit doubt we will be in the position by then, we'll have some injury problems and our momentum will run out some time)

Some of our passing today was a million lightyears better than last season. We also hoofed a bit especially early on, but have to credit him that he actually can get us playing like that. He's still frustratingly cautious, slow to change the game up, still seems to largely be reactive tactically but he has settled us down after a strange inconsistent start, and got us a lot of momentum. The team look like a team and have gelled.

I still think he has the wrong set of characteristics for tough times, but credit where it's due, I didn't think he could turn us back into a good team again and he has. The only shame is one suspects is a lack of ambition to kick on from this and try and stay in the top 5, I can really see us strangely capitulating on teh last day to avoid the europa league or something (albeit doubt we will be in the position by then, we'll have some injury problems and our momentum will run out some time)

We actually look capable of build up play at times and retained posession quite well. All players looking pretty comfortable on the ball even Willo and simple passing working. Also a lot more movement and support lately and we look dangerous from set pieces and wings again.

We look good with Anita, Cabaye and Tiote all playing and it really helps us control the game

I'm not sure they are that capable of grinding out results tbh, they are poor, but we gave them very few chances, dominated possession and punished them, perfect away performance.

Well they hadn't conceded in the last 4 home games prior to us and won the two previous 1-0 so i think they have the capabilities to grind results out. Don't get drawn in to the fact it's only Palace we beat 3-0 and they are shite. That was a tough fixture and we've done very well to make that game so comfortable for ourselves, like Pardew said, not many teams will be winning 3-0 there this season.

Was credit to us for getting a grip on that game fairly early on and spoil Palace's tactics. Given the conditions that game could have easily turned very scrappy but we played through it and showed a lot of class out there.

I still think he has the wrong set of characteristics for tough times, but credit where it's due, I didn't think he could turn us back into a good team again and he has.

aye this, when things stop going his way again he'll crumble into tiny little pieces, and let's face it at some point things stop going everyone's way

credit to the guy for this season to date as you say, but it's built on almost ideal circumstances again with injuries/suspensions... (i realise this will be seen as some that i'm unnecessarily being negative about the guy but that's not it, it's just the truth as i see - he's doing great at the moment :thup:)

I still think he has the wrong set of characteristics for tough times, but credit where it's due, I didn't think he could turn us back into a good team again and he has.

aye this, when things stop going his way again he'll crumble into tiny little pieces, and let's face it at some point things stop going everyone's way

There's been a few times he's been seemingly on the brink (Reading at home last season, the 0-3/0-6s, after the Sunderland game a couple of months ago), but he's managed to either put a mini run together (like we did after the new signings went into the team last February), but this time seems more sustained. That seems to suggest he doesn't crumble when things are going badly.

There's been a few times he's been seemingly on the brink (Reading at home last season, the 0-3/0-6s, after the Sunderland game a couple of months ago), but he's managed to either put a mini run together (like we did after the new signings went into the team last February), but this time seems more sustained. That seems to suggest he doesn't crumble when things are going badly.

nah, howay man, i'm clearly referring to a sustained period of injuries and/or suspensions...he's had results go against him this season and we've bounced back like we did when finishing 5th but in that season and this he had the majority of the players he'd want on the pitch available to him most of the time imho

i've not seen anything like last season from an NUFC manager personally, he was gone mentally - had no answers whatsoever for what to do in the face of (at times) extreme difficulty, he was just a passenger or another supporter, powerless to stop what was happening until 5 players turned up and saved the season for him