Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I was hoping the infamous Reading game would be the nail in the coffin.

I've wanted him out for about 2+ years, when it happens I'll probably just start crying.

I think the closest he's come to going is HT at Everton. Those 2 goals kept him in a job.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/southampton-4-newcastle-united-0-6896139

Southampton 4 Newcastle United 0: Mark Douglas' match analysis

Mar 31, 2014 10:32

By Mark Douglas

At most football clubs, this kind of defeat – at the back end of this kind of run – would prompt a stack of uncomfortable questions and a bout of bruising soul-searching.

Not Newcastle United, apparently. “I don’t think it’s changed our opinion,” Alan Pardew said on Saturday after this most wretched of displays. “We’ve had a good positive meeting this week about taking the club forward.”

On a day when the only defiance came from away supporters who howled their discontent at the players who had conjured up this performance, Pardew’s certainty that he would be the man entrusted with the massive summer rebuilding was instructive.

This is a club that should be asking questions right now – of its players, defintely of its manager but also overall direction. Instead we are left to wonder what it would take for anyone to do that. Even with Mike Ashley again making his presence deliberately felt, Saturday didn’t have the feel of a watershed moment. The sad fact is, days like this are becoming the depressing norm.

For while it would be nice to look at this as a one-off – and Pardew suggested afterwards that it was “not us” to play so poorly – the facts just don’t back that up. Collapses have become commonplace in recent weeks: this was the fifth occasion in the last nine games that Newcastle had shipped three or more goals.

More than that, this was the 18th time Newcastle have done it while Pardew has been in charge of various different configurations of players. It was also the 10th defeat in 14 games and the 75th consecutive match when Newcastle failed to win after being behind at half-time.

These are worrying trends; alarming and possibly damning. Newcastle feel aggreived at the level of criticism of their efforts this season but it would be a dereliction of duty not to look at what lies beneath the league position. Yohan Cabaye and Loic Remy are respectively gone and probably going, so what remains?

On the evidence of Saturday, something needs to change. This is a group that lacks leadership on the field, with the number of hammerings since Cabaye left a very real sign that they have mentally checked out. They need new recruits to energise and mobilise them and there will be a massive overhaul in the summer.

But a bigger question remains, one which Ashley must decide before signing off the summer cheques. Is Pardew the man to entrust with such a wholesale rebuilding job?

Compare and contrast the following: when Newcastle welcomed Southampton to St James’ Park earlier this season they were in the midst of their best run of the campaign. Yet did United ever perform with the same sparkling invention and attacking flourish that Southampton – on a bit of a roll at St Mary’s themselves – did on Saturday?

What is his vision for Newcastle? He came to the job talking of constructing an attacking team to entertain United fans but that is not where Newcastle are. Their most inventive player – Hatem Ben Arfa – was hooked at half-time on Saturday after barely getting a kick. The relationship between him and the manager seems almost irreparable.

If Ashley delivers attacking players, what will become of them? Pardew says one thing – claiming on Friday that the owner wants an attacking team and that he is determined to give him them – but something else is happening on the pitch.

There are no indications yet of Pardew’s grip on the job eroding. His most serious run-in with Ashley this season was not over football matters but over perceived criticism of the owner in a Sky Sports interview after the Cardiff away game, and the headbutt at Hull brought with it an implicit backing for the boss. Perhaps dropping out of the top ten – a danger if this slide isn’t arrested – might change that.

At the moment, it seems to be full steam ahead for next season – and that means a whole lot of leaps of faith from Newcastle fans if they want to feel optimistic for the campaign to follow this one.

Mind you, it is never entirely clear with Pardew whether he is brazening it out or not. Sorry seemed to be the hardest word on Saturday, conspicuous by its absence in the manager’s post-match briefing and when the players trudged through the mixed zone to offer their own explanations for what happened.

Fabricio Coloccini, as culpable as anyone, ducked what is normally a captain’s role and refused to speak. Pardew claims to have no worries about the centre-back – but he is looking less and less like a skipper these days.

Pardew couldn’t find the answers afterwards. He spoke of Newcastle needed to rediscover their “process of winning” and curiously claimed that the game was a bigger deal for Southampton because they were motivated by the chance to leapfrog United. It was bizarre reasoning from a man who spent the week talking up how his own presence in the dressing room would add something to the black and white mix.

The owner must shoulder his share of the responsibility. Selling Cabaye without a replacement sent a very clear message that this season was effectively over and that has been heard loud and clear by the players, who were atrocious on Saturday.

Barring Rob Elliot, none collected credit for their work. By contrast Southampton were sparkling: a team of invention, wit and creation set up imaginatively and allowed to flourish.

They had seven clear chances before Jay Rodriguez finally breached Elliot’s resistance. The defending, with Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa a desperate right-back choice, was comical as a simple ball knocked over the top sprung Newcastle’s offside ‘trap’.

Southampton rolled in three more: one a cracker from the excellent Adam Lallana. Cheick Tiote and Mike Williamson almost came to blows at one point. It was sorry, sorry stuff.

i have hope that the fact ashley blew 35m (or whatever in his eyes) last january to bail the cunt out and just over a year later all these players are now getting worse by the week and their value plummeting

if he's hearing about pardle losing the players and such, carr might be nipping his ear and all

something to cling onto

The NE media could be going off on Pardew a bit harder I think. It's not really a debate on whether he's the right man or not anymore, his record in the past 1,5 years is fucking appalling and he's not deserving of anymore time to "show what his vision is" whether you try and stay objective or not.

I've wanted him sacked since the Reading game last year as well. A friend of mine said at the weekend that he remembered how I was when we lost 6-0 to Liverpool last season. He asked me how the fuck the same idiot could still be in charge, inflicting similar results about a year afterwards.

I don't even start to explain it anymore. Pardew needs to disappear from my life very, very soon.

I was hoping the infamous Reading game would be the nail in the coffin.

I've wanted him out for about 2+ years, when it happens I'll probably just start crying.

I think the closest he's come to going is HT at Everton. Those 2 goals kept him in a job.

I remember starting a game of football when we were 3-0 down. Was hoping they'd get more tbh to rid us of this clown. Felt bad about it...

Douglas says that it was the 18th time we've conceded 3, it should be that we've been beaten by that margin. The number that we've conceded 3 must be far more.

Decent piece apart from that though, and I'm not generally a fan.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-cameron-time-newcastle-united-6896208?

If Alan Pardew was at most other football clubs he would probably be sacked in the summer.

This move would be a winner for the vast majority of fans who believe this has gone on long enough. They want a change. They have had it with constant disappointment.

It’s hard today to mount much of a contrary argument in defence of the 52-year-old. That’s the first time I have felt this way. I have been a Pardew defender of sorts. But I feel a change in the manager’s office is needed.

In my two years of watching Newcastle United on a professional basis, Saturday’s 4-0 defeat by Southampton was the lowest point. Even worse than the three derby defeats, the 6-0 home crushing by Liverpool and the meek FA Cup defeats to Brighton and Cardiff City.

From the first to last minute, Newcastle couldn’t claim even to be second best. The team, at least some of them, are no longer playing for Pardew. That much is certain.

When that happens, it’s usually the beginning of the end for the manager. Or alternatively the player or players in question are shipped out. But usually it’s easier and a lot cheaper to sack just one bloke. And the owner of Newcastle United likes cheap.

I don’t think he will go. My guess is Mike Ashley has the perfect manager for what he wants from Newcastle United.

Pardew is doing his job. They are top 10 and when it came to the FA Cup the top goalscorer was put on the bench, while the best midfielder in the country at that time was rested. That’s what the owner wants and that’s what he got.

So that means there will be a massive overhaul of the playing staff this summer, which is fine, apart from the fact there won’t be a massive overhaul of the playing staff. We all know that.

And that means that once again Newcastle are a state of flux. Limbo is where they permanently exist.

The team on Saturday was all over the place. People out of position, out of form, thrown back into the side in the case of Massadio Haidara because there is nobody else.

If there was any gameplan it was lost on me. I’m still trying to work out what the formation was. A 4-2-3-1, I think...

Newcastle weren’t organised, there was no passion, commitment or anything, really. That comes down to the manager, nobody else, and he knows it.

If Pardew is true to his word then his players have been put through hell today. Good – that’s what the supporters are going through right now.

Newcastle were always only a couple of injuries away from being a truly ordinary side, which is what they are now.

Ashley was there on Saturday and surely he couldn’t have been happy with what he saw. Changes need to be made.

If the manager stays and so do the players, then it will only be more of the same.

He pretty much gets it spot on though. It is far better to get rid of players who go against Pardew than to sack Pardew, that way the club (Ashley) can probably gain a profit on selling a player instead of paying to sack Pardew and bringing someone else in.

As time has went on it is becoming more clear to me that the reasons why Barton and Nolan were shipped out was not because they disagreed with Ashley but in the training ground they stood up to Pardew. I honestly think that the team he puts out every weekend is full of players who lick his ass on the training ground and others are left aside even if they are the better player. I think Ben Arfa is a good example, he should certainly be in our first 11 yet on the training ground it's well known that he is hard work and Pardew doesn't have the patience, or people skills to work with him and would rather just cut him out.

As time has went on it is becoming more clear to me that the reasons why Barton and Nolan were shipped out was not because they disagreed with Ashley but in the training ground they stood up to Pardew.

Sure Barton praised Hughton/Pardew, they were shipped out because they wouldn't agree to Ashley's bonuses, or lack of them. It was Ashley they stood up to and got flogged for it.

As time has went on it is becoming more clear to me that the reasons why Barton and Nolan were shipped out was not because they disagreed with Ashley but in the training ground they stood up to Pardew.

Sure Barton praised Hughton/Pardew, they were shipped out because they wouldn't agree to Ashley's bonuses, or lack of them. It was Ashley they stood up to and got flogged for it.

Barton praised Hughton, not Pardew. Even recall a post-match interview where he said it was the team spirit Hughton had installed in them that made them win, not Pardew.

Barton praised Hughton, not Pardew. Even recall a post-match interview where he said it was the team spirit Hughton had installed in them that made them win, not Pardew.

Sure he praised him in the interview i seen not long ago when talking about leaving Newcastle, and he was certainly mentioned him with praise on Twitter recently. Think it was around the headbutt situation. Barton has seemingly only had problems with Ashley and others at board level in terms of why he left.

Sure he praised him in the interview i seen not long ago when talking about leaving Newcastle, and he was certainly mentioned him with praise on Twitter recently. Think it was around the headbutt situation. Barton has seemingly only had problems with Ashley and others at board level in terms of why he left.

;)

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/barton-say-pardew-headbutt/