The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

The referees should come from the foremost 4 or 5 European leagues. Nationality per se is irrelevant but pick someone experienced in dealing with something like the pace, standard and intricacy of a top end CL tie.

Ronaldo seriously man, take a break. Best ref couple years ago was form Uzbekistan ffs. Webb who is supposed to be the best from the fastest league in the world makes continuous mistakes on the international level. I think a good ref is a good ref no matter where he comes from. Belgium, Uzbekistan, Portugal have all produced good refs over the last couple of seasons and none have been in an extraordinary league. Jonas Eriksson isn't a bad ref, and I don't see how anyone can blame him for anything yesterday. Sure it looked outside the box, but 99% of the world's top referees would give a red card and I bet half would give a penalty.

Why did you quote my post? I've not even seen the incident and I don't give a damn. I'm simply saying the idea of referees recruited for such games from tinpot leagues doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, and I answered that your idea is ridiculous. You're basically saying you'd rather have Webb refereeing those games or spanish referees (who are as bad as the PL refs) instead of top referees like the one from Turkey, Portugal or Hungary?

:thup:

Guest bimpy474

The penalty is a penalty anyway as the foul continued into the box.

Completely wrong mate, the foul should be given where the contact first takes place. Not where it continued to, or ended.

No, continuous fouls do exist and if contact or fouling does continue into the box then it is a penalty no matter when it started. Most common example is shirt pulling as a player runs into the box.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced this is one of those, but weirdly I haven't watched more than a couple repeats.

No, continuous fouls do exist and if contact or fouling does continue into the box then it is a penalty no matter when it started. Most common example is shirt pulling as a player runs into the box.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced this is one of those, but weirdly I haven't watched more than a couple repeats.

:thup:

Guest bimpy474

Shirt pull if given as a foul should be given where the pull of the shirt begins. It's worded as holding and direct free kick is to be given where the offence takes place.

But as ref's we are told to give the foul where the first pull of the shirt takes place. 

Guest bimpy474

Mind you shirt pulls are funny ones, as most of the time you fail to spot the first pull of it.

I got sworn at something rotten when i gave a penalty. (6 weeks ago now because of the weather).  I gave a penalty as i only saw the pull in the box, apparently it started outside. The rules actually contradict themselves, they say give a free kick where the holding occured as soon as it starts. Then also state if it continues you can give a penalty.

And then you're taught to give it as a outside if that actually happens. It makes no sense but again the you're told to factor in the reaction of the crowd and if they're volatile and angry.

Guest bimpy474

Pretty sure if the contact/foul starts outside but continues into the box it's a pen like.

I just posted the actual rules gives two different pieces if advice, and then you're told while you learn to give it where it started. To me if you're told how to interpret it while you train then that's is how it should to done.

Again it's one of those things that i bang on about, take away any grey area. Dont leave it open to interpretation. You could go through the rules and find too many grey areas that it drives you mad, offsides being just one. To be honest anyone who does decide to ref, good luck because the rules make it so hard. Also different County FA's have the independence to try different things if they get the go ahead.

Guest bimpy474

It makes no sense but again the you're told to factor in the reaction of the crowd and if they're volatile and angry.

Eh? Why should that ever affect an on-pitch decision?

Bizarre isn't it. It's actually in the ref's book you're given. When making decisions factor in the mood and violatility of the spectators.

Guest bimpy474

I was speaking to a lad i work with who's a ref and his Dad is quite high up in the County (Essex) FA. Apparently they want to trial banning spitting. Not necessarily in our leagues but they'll try it in one of local leagues.

You warn a player first, then book him if you see him do it again. As if a local ref who usually doesn't have any linesmen supposed to do that as well. Not that it's a bad idea, it's just impossible to police imo.

If they are not spitting at each other, I don't see why they should be stopped from clearing their throats.

"Swallow it, you bastard!"

If he's dead set on it, just introduce muzzles on all players.

Guest bimpy474

If they are not spitting at each other, I don't see why they should be stopped from clearing their throats.

"Swallow it, you bastard!"

If he's dead set on it, just introduce muzzles on all players.

Aye but i bet it's going to be some shit about spreading disease or illness. You can be sure some group has complained about the amount you see on the TV, which to be fair is disgusting at times. I just cant see how it can possibly work.

Guest bimpy474

The penalty is a penalty anyway as the foul continued into the box.

Completely wrong mate, the foul should be given where the contact first takes place. Not where it continued to, or ended.

It was a stonewall penalty like, no doubt about it

Well no, as SanToon said about continous fouls, well sort of with shirt pulling. As i've previously said they give you differing advice on that. Personally i give it as soon as it starts if i see it.

In regard to fouls from a tackle which the penalty was, you give it where the contact first takes place. Outside in the Man City game. But it took a few replays to be sure. I dont think anyone thought it was outside until then. With the ref only getting one look, the lineman the same.  It was a hard call being so close to the line. Still dont why they can't look at it with an official looking at a screen, such a big call to make as well.

It makes no sense but again the you're told to factor in the reaction of the crowd and if they're volatile and angry.

Bizarre isn't it. It's actually in the ref's book you're given. When making decisions factor in the mood and violatility of the spectators.

What grade are you bimp? Was speaking with my mate about this (the crowd reaction etc) and he said he's never heard of it before.

Guest bimpy474

What grade are you bimp? Was speaking with my mate about this (the crowd reaction etc) and he said he's never heard of it before.

Level 7 but i only do level 8 games, through choice really. Because both my boys play and Mrs Bimps sleep at weekends as she works night. The boys come first, if they dont have games i ref. I decided to stay in the youth soccer as it's frankly a lot better and less hassle. I'm thinking of trying to go up a level as it means i can do school County games. They are Tues/Weds/Thurs afternoons, which would suit me more as i finish work at 1pm most days.

The crowd reaction thing, it's even in the FIFA refs rulebook. They have it as constant blowing of the whistle would upset the crowd and players. Now you blow the whistle for a foul or whatever although I get the thing about being fussy. But we were guided specifically about crowd mood when reffing certain games locally.

I think the exact term was 'as ref you must judge the mood or anger of the spectators when making a decision that could adversly affect the atmosphere'. Maybe it was more aimed at higher levels but it was said to us. The most hassle is around the teenagers ages. The kids have zero respect, basically because the parents show absolutely none. It's actually quite frightening at times, it doesn't bother me but there are a lot of young girl ref's now. It's a very imtimidating thing for them to have hordes of mainly men screaming at them.

In some ways i can understand what our association is getting at.