The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

Fair Play winners enter at the Qualifying round 1 stage.

This place will automatically go the three best-placed national associations in the UEFA Respect fair play rankings provided they achieve an average of 8.0 points or more. The top three associations will then be entitled to enter the club that has either won their domestic top-division fair play competition, or if they are already qualified, the runners-up and so forth.

Please note that the above is purely a guide to the qualification procedure at present. From time to time other scenarios may occur which could mean that the above procedures may need to be reviewed.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe/

Am i reading it right, does that not say the losers of the FA Cup get the Europa league spot at the expense of the Lowest Premier League placed team if the winners of the FA Cup have already qualified ?

Making me right ? confused now like :lol:

Without sounding like an arsehole, what I said is right and the stuff Hans posted backs it up.

"In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify" - This is the important bit

"but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative." - This is just rubbish about what stage of the Europa you enter at.

"The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League." - As is this.

Guest bimpy474

There are three places in the UEFA Europa League available: the FA Cup winners will enter at the Group Stage; the fifth place team in the Barclays Premier League will enter at the Play-Off stage; and the Football League Cup winners will enter at the Q3 stage.

In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify, but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative. The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

English winners of the UEFA Europa League will enter at the Group Stage, gaining an extra domestic place only if they fail to qualify through other means for the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League. If the holders of the UEFA Europa League have already qualified for Europe, no extra domestic place will be gained.

Should the FA Cup winners, runners-up (if applicable) and the Football League Cup winners already have qualified for Europe, their place goes to the next best placed clubs in the Premier League.

This place will automatically go the three best-placed national associations in the UEFA Respect fair play rankings provided they achieve an average of 8.0 points or more. The top three associations will then be entitled to enter the club that has either won their domestic top-division fair play competition, or if they are already qualified, the runners-up and so forth.

Please note that the above is purely a guide to the qualification procedure at present. From time to time other scenarios may occur which could mean that the above procedures may need to be reviewed.

Am i reading it right, does that not say the losers of the FA Cup get the Europa league spot at the expense of the Lowest Premier League placed team if the winners of the FA Cup have already qualified ?

Without sounding like an arsehole, what I said is right and the stuff Hans posted backs it up.

"In the event the FA Cup winners are qualified for the UEFA Champions League the FA Cup runners-up will qualify" - This is the important bit

"but in the place reserved for the lowest ranking Barclays Premier League representative." - This is just rubbish about what stage of the Europa you enter at.

"The place with direct access to the Group Stage will be given to the club that finishes in the highest position in the Barclays Premier League of the clubs qualifying for the UEFA Europa League." - As is this.

You're not being an arsehole mate, only a debate about it ;), that sentence i highlighted does that not say different though.  'but in the place reserved for lowest representive Europa team' , in this case it would 7th in the Premiership) in regard to the loser of the FA Cup.

or am i reading it wrong ?.

Edit : i see the Champions League qualifier bit now  O0

You're not being an arsehole mate, only a debate about it ;), that sentence i highlighted does that not say different though.  'but in the place reserved for lowest representive Europa team' , in this case it would 7th in the Premiership) in regard to the loser of the FA Cup.

or am i reading it wrong ?

When it says "in the place reserved for the lowest ranking etc" in means out of the three qualifiers, they would have to go through the most qualifying rounds. The cup winners normally get in direct (like Wigan this year) but in this scenario they would get the lowest ranking spot.

In summary, for 7th to be Europa it would require:

Arsenal to finish 5th

Arsenal win the FA Cup

If Spurs win the Europa League and finish 5th or 6th I don't think it would make a difference, there was no extra place for Everton this year based on Chelsea winning it.

Guest bimpy474

or am i reading it wrong ?

When it says "in the place reserved for the lowest ranking etc" in means out of the three qualifiers, they would have to go through the most qualifying rounds. The cup winners normally get in direct (like Wigan this year) but in this scenario they would get the lowest ranking spot.

I get that bit ;)

It's the Arsenal part if they win the FA Cup, say Arsenal finished 5th or 6th that would still leave 7th open for the Europa then as they weren't CL qualifiers, I think that's what you said to begin with.

Guest neesy111

Remember from 2015 Europa League winners will qualify for the Champions League.

Will that create a 5th spot?

Yes if they haven't qualified already.

Guest neesy111

When was the last team to win a Europa League and not be in the Champions League the following season anyway?

Atletico Madrid in 2012.

Guest bimpy474

Yep, exactly

Right cool, Ta Ash ;)

So basically we need to go all out for 6th to qualify, and you would think with Everton and Man Utd to come at home we might do, well if it wasn't for the fact Ashley and Pardew dont really want to :(

Yep, exactly

Right cool, Ta Ash ;)

So basically we need to go all out for 6th to qualify, and you would think with Everton and Man Utd to come at home we might do, well if it wasn't for the fact Ashley and Pardew dont really want to :(

This is why 8th is the goal. It's the highest possible place we can achieve the maximum payout without a chance (Ok, in a certain set of circumstances there could be a very very very very small chance) of ever burdening ourselves with the Europa League.

Guest bimpy474

Yep, exactly

Right cool, Ta Ash ;)

This is why 8th is the goal. It's the highest possible place we can achieve the maximum payout without a chance (Ok, in a certain set of circumstances there could be a very very very very small chance) of ever burdening ourselves with the Europa League.

Aye, if only we could have a more ambitious owner, or a manager who had some pride to go against the grain.