Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Does feel like you need to win something next year. Arguably been the best team in the league for large patches of the last 2 years and will undoubtedly be strong again next season, but eventually players or managers leave, other teams get stronger etc.

Hard to really pinpoint that extra 10% you're missing, the defence, keeper midfield and attack are all already really strong. No obvious weak links looking in from the outside.

A bit of extra luck, mainly. It's abundantly clear that you have a better chance if you don't have to worry about Europe, like Leicester and then Chelsea. Then you factor in injuries (which may be connected to the lack of Europe) - Leicester and then Chelsea again.

There's the perennial argument that we might be missing that one truly world-class attacker or midfielder - Sanchez, Hazard, Aguero (?). Bottom line, we're really bloody good all round. If we win out, we end up with just one point less than the "Invincibles" managed (with more goals scored and a far better goal difference). And we probably still finish second. Frankly, that's just bad luck.

as i said last weekend i think i do wonder what your season might have looked like if you'd spent £30m on a footballer (or 2) instead of sissoko

Does feel like you need to win something next year. Arguably been the best team in the league for large patches of the last 2 years and will undoubtedly be strong again next season, but eventually players or managers leave, other teams get stronger etc.

Hard to really pinpoint that extra 10% you're missing, the defence, keeper midfield and attack are all already really strong. No obvious weak links looking in from the outside.

A bit of extra luck, mainly. It's abundantly clear that you have a better chance if you don't have to worry about Europe, like Leicester and then Chelsea. Then you factor in injuries (which may be connected to the lack of Europe) - Leicester and then Chelsea again.

There's the perennial argument that we might be missing that one truly world-class attacker or midfielder - Sanchez, Hazard, Aguero (?). Bottom line, we're really bloody good all round. If we win out, we end up with just one point less than the "Invincibles" managed (with more goals scored and a far better goal difference). And we probably still finish second. Frankly, that's just bad luck.

as i said last weekend i think i do wonder what your season might have looked like if you'd spent £30m on a footballer (or 2) instead of sissoko

Probably roughly the same tbf. Doubt they'd get a player that would be guaranteed to significantly improve them for £30m

Probably roughly the same tbf. Doubt they'd get a player that would be guaranteed to significantly improve them for £30m

probably yeah, but still you'd think for £30m you'd be getting a player who would win you a few points over the course of a season even if playing poorly

on that note where's lamela, injured?

probably yeah, but still you'd think for £30m you'd be getting a player who would win you a few points over the course of a season even if playing poorly

on that note where's lamela, injured?

Yep. Some question over whether he will come back. Sissoko is just the weirdest transfer all round.

was it think summer you signed that striker who doesn't score, janssen?

a better 2nd striker could have made a difference to the season in the time kane was out i guess....not that i even know if you dropped points during that period :lol:

Something i have noticed is you have started quite slowly the previous two seasons, hard to quantify why but it would probably help as you seem to be playing catch up the rest of the season.

There is definitely that perception. We drew away to Everton first game, then beat Palace, then drew at home to Liverpool. Not entirely unexpected results. Then we won four in a row. Played seven games, won five, drawn two. That's not a slow start.

The problem was October and November. After beating Man City at home Oct 2nd we drew four league games in a row, blagged a win against West Ham then were a bit unlucky to lose away to Chelsea. What else was happening around that time? Europe and injuries. That's the key.

It's difficult for Spurs to get that type of player tbh, it's not just the money it's that they are not established for many years in the same ways Arsenal are for example when they are able to get Sanchez etc etc.

Money is part of it, but Liverpool have the same issue for so long they have been irrelevant to the CL stage that no player of THAT level will join them. Even when Suarez joined them he wasn't established.

Pretty much every player Spurs have signed have been the same, it's probably why they signed Sissoko i doubt he was anywhere near their first choice. If they can sustain this level on and off the pitch then it won't be long till they are able to sign that level of player.

a better 2nd striker could have made a difference to the season in the time kane was out i guess....not that i even know if you dropped points during that period :lol:

He's been out for two significant periods of time. The first coincides (IIRC) with that period in October when we drew a lot. The second was fine, as people like Son and Alli stood up. I do agree that we could have done with a more ready replacement for Kane, but I actually think that Janssen will work out fine given a year or two to settle in.

Something i have noticed is you have started quite slowly the previous two seasons, hard to quantify why but it would probably help as you seem to be playing catch up the rest of the season.

There is definitely that perception. We drew away to Everton first game, then beat Palace, then drew at home to Liverpool. Not entirely unexpected results. Then we won four in a row. Played seven games, won five, drawn two. That's not a slow start.

The problem was October and November. After beating Man City at home Oct 2nd we drew four league games in a row, blagged a win against West Ham then were a bit unlucky to lose away to Chelsea. What else was happening around that time? Europe and injuries. That's the key.

Fair enough, i think partly it's because Kane seems to start slow ( maybe i'm wrong about that too ) and performances don't seem as good as they second half of the season that it creates that perception.

I know i fell for it.

It's difficult for Spurs to get that type of player tbh, it's not just the money it's that they are not established for many years in the same ways Arsenal are for example when they are able to get Sanchez etc etc.

Money is part of it, but Liverpool have the same issue for so long they have been irrelevant to the CL stage that no player of THAT level will join them. Even when Suarez joined them he wasn't established.

Pretty much every player Spurs have signed have been the same, it's probably why they signed Sissoko i doubt he was anywhere near their first choice. If they can sustain this level on and off the pitch then it won't be long till they are able to sign that level of player.

Yeah, I certainly hope so. That's why we need to retain the core of the current squad...and that's why we're now seeing so many stories unsettling them.

He's been out for two significant periods of time. The first coincides (IIRC) with that period in October when we drew a lot. The second was fine, as people like Son and Alli stood up. I do agree that we could have done with a more ready replacement for Kane, but I actually think that Janssen will work out fine given a year or two to settle in.

yeah, totally pointless theoretical hindsight really but had you spent more of that £40m+ on a stronger 2nd striker you might be closer this season, alas

Fair enough, i think partly it's because Kane seems to start slow ( maybe i'm wrong about that too ) and performances don't seem as good as they second half of the season that it creates that perception.

I know i fell for it.

A fair few Spurs fans still think that too, tbh. It's the convenient narrative. Like "Bottler" Spurs, which is clearly bollocks. Things fell apart last year because after that Chelsea game we knew the title was gone, so they fucked it off. Somewhat refreshing actually - rather than being happy with second they had their sights set higher.

Yeah, I certainly hope so. That's why we need to retain the core of the current squad...and that's why we're now seeing so many stories unsettling them.

Honestly i'm surprised it's taken the media this long :lol: I hate that part of it mind, bunch of hypocrites who claim they someone new at the top but when it comes down to it they just want to keep the same status quo.

yeah, totally pointless theoretical hindsight really but had you spent more of that £40m+ on a stronger 2nd striker you might be closer this season, alas

I agree. We keep trying these weird guys like N'Jie and N'Koudou to absolutely no effect, and Sissoko was just bizarre. Yet we also got Wanyama, who was perfect.

I think one problem is that we have to go looking for these guys from the second tier and abroad, and hope that they will come off. Kante and Mahrez happened to do so for Leicester, but that's something of a rarity. Even Eriksen took a while to settle in. Pochettino seems reluctant to look for short-term fixes, and that's OK, but if you get a little bit of bad luck then it can derail you.

Honestly i'm surprised it's taken the media this long :lol: I hate that part of it mind, bunch of hypocrites who claim they someone new at the top but when it comes down to it they just want to keep the same status quo.

I don't think it's necessarily hypocrisy. There is a group of journalists who are happy to pass on whatever certain agents, managers or teams feed them, the majority who couldn't give a fuck what they wrote as long as it generated money, and a few who have souls. It just depends upon what you read, and when you read it.

If I was a Spurs fan, I'd be well annoyed at people talking about players leaving, when they have just had a class season.

As a football fan, I'm well annoyed. Just as annoyed as I was when the same thing happened with Leicester. Football is completely fucked, the game is completely rigged aside from the odd miracle.

Exactly. That's the reason I posted the story in the first place, it's fucking awful.

Going to be fun if Spurs let Kyle Walker leave and don't buy a replacement and their backup right back next season is Kyle Walker-Peters

Even better if they get rid of Trippier instead

Going to be fun if Spurs let Kyle Walker leave and don't buy a replacement and their backup right back next season is Kyle Walker-Peters

Here's one I made earlier.

Bet they borrowed the PVA glue from the Palace

If I was a Spurs fan, I'd be well annoyed at people talking about players leaving, when they have just had a class season.

As a football fan, I'm well annoyed. Just as annoyed as I was when the same thing happened with Leicester. Football is completely f***ed, the game is completely rigged aside from the odd miracle.

Exactly. That's the reason I posted the story in the first place, it's f***ing awful.

I'd agree normally, but Spurs should be able to compete in terms of wages now. Their financial status is one of the best in the country.

As a football fan, I'm well annoyed. Just as annoyed as I was when the same thing happened with Leicester. Football is completely f***ed, the game is completely rigged aside from the odd miracle.

Exactly. That's the reason I posted the story in the first place, it's f***ing awful.

I'd agree normally, but Spurs should be able to compete in terms of wages now. Their financial status is one of the best in the country.

...but our revenue, as repeated ad nauseam, is far short of the others. Once the new stadium is up, and if we can maintain the spine of the side => success => increased commercial income then maybe. Until then, sadly, no.